Biggest "nature" let down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest outdoors disappointment was seeing Mt Rushmore for the first time.

I've heard several people express the same feelings about Mt. Rushmore.

A tip for those that go in the future: Go at night when Mt. Rushmore is fully lit. It's awesome and there's only 10% of the crowds. If you do go doing the day, I highly recommend taking the short loop trail that gets up and close to each of the profiles. Less than 5% of the visitors seem to take this trail.

Like Chip, my wife and I were a bit disappointed with the Grand Canyon. Going there was always a dream of mine, but it fell a bit short.

We had just come from a fantastic three days at Zion National Park, staying at a funky place called the Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale. We got to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and there were massive crowds everywhere and the views, while expansive, did not blow us away, as Zion had. The hiking on the Kaibab Trail was also very crowded and there was lime green mule dung everywhere. Thankfully, on our final day, we took a shuttle to the far western end of the park and took the Hermit Trail, which was quite nice. That was our most memorable part of our stay there.

Marty

Like Chip, my wife and I were a bit disappointed with the Grand Canyon. Going there was always a dream of mine, but it fell a bit short.

If you're there in warm weather, consider visiting Grand Canyon from the north. It's higher - maybe 1K' - so there's more snow and the road across the Kaibab is closed during the winter. But, only a fraction of the people visit the North Rim as opposed to the South.

Near Zion's East Gate we stumbled upon a great B&B - Rocky Top . Secluded, fully equiped, and very close to the park entrance.

Last edited:
My biggest outdoors disappointment was seeing Mt Rushmore for the first time. ... but the Crazy Horse Memorial is one I never tire of.

... my dog Brutus has been there 2 or 3 times, and he really likes to watch Old Faithful, which is a mystery to me ...

Mt. Rushmore wasn't a disappointment to me when I consider the design, construction and overall effort that went into it. There is beauty to be found everywhere when you look for it and think about it.

As for Crazy Horse, I was a bit disappointed with the progress between 1971 and 2009 but I admire the thought and philosophy that is going into this monument. I also admire that there is no government involvement, the builders sharing the same distrust of the government as the Native Americans they honor learned years ago.

Ol' Brutus, though, is no slouch ... he looks like he's really enjoying that perspective!;)

Mt. Rushmore wasn't a disappointment to me when I consider the design, construction and overall effort that went into it. There is beauty to be found everywhere when you look for it and think about it.

Stan - it wasn't Mt Rushmore itself that was a disappointment - not at all. I found the actual carvings impressive for the same reasons you mentioned. Rather - it was the elaborate corporate trappings that got in the way as you made your way to the actual viewing area that I detested. Sorry if that part wasn't clear.

As I pointed out - by going to the older, original parking lot to view the carvings you can get the full effect without the distractions.

As for Brutus - our pets are interesting beings. Mostly he totally igores the TV. However, if you play the USPS DVD of Death Valley - wow, is he interested. Does the same thing when we re-run the old crime comedy "Running Scared" with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines and there's a scene showing Lakeshore Drive - he sits right up at full attention and watches. Same reaction with Old Faithful. He's been to these, so ... am amused when people say dogs and cats are dumb and have poor memories.

Last edited: