Black Flies - How bad are they?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
I am going up to the whites this weekend. I like to make elaborate meals except in black fly season.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

When Kevin Talbot came to visit us Weds PM, I would say they were bad. But he wasn't wearing bug dope. They were on us pretty thick, which may have had more to do with our campsite location. When the temp dropped around 7PM, so did they. The next two days were cool so they weren't really a problem. Mosquitoes were a bit thick near water sources but they seemed a bit slowed up too. If, however, you came to a stop, the skeeters could be on you thick. I used Lewey's and the only places I got bit were spots I couldn't reach. All in all, I've certainly seen it worse.

I use the Repell for clothing on my gear, not skin. Also have Bens with me but haven't needed it this year. Remembering past times I've had to flush out my eyes on the trail with my drinking water to remove some determined black flies, I also make sure I have a light weight, long sleeved hiking shirt and my Sea-to-Summit head bug net.

I am going up to the whites this weekend. I like to make elaborate meals except in black fly season.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

From my experience in the past week to 10 days, the black fly problem depends more on elevation. At lower elevations, they're not much of a problem. However, at the higher elevations now (4500 to 5500 feet) the "elaborate meal" may in fact be you.

Last edited:
I didn't notice them in NH or western ME this weekend (mosquitos were a minor annoyance); however, I did find a pretty nasty scab behind my ear. So one probably got me at some point, although it could always have been a bushwhack injury.

They've been pretty mild during the cooler weather, but they're coming out in the heat today!

2011 early July in N. Maine

OK, time to bet on the end of the black fly season at Moosehead Lake. Who wants to bet? I'm heading up there in July. I'm going for several days and will be pretty deep in the woods. My choice is the week of July 3rd, the 10th or the 24th.

Hands down they will be gone by the 24th, but I'm anxious to get out earlier.
The week of July 3rd just seems too close for Moosehead (so far north). Would like that week because of the free July 4th work holiday. Is that too early given the soggy spring?

I'm thinking about the week of the 10th, I just won't get that free day.

Yeah, I've looked at http://mainenature.org/.

Crystal ball time. It's a gamble. Where's your money?

THANKS!

Friday we did Cardigan. As we were going up Gillman/Orange on the Cardigan flank the black flies came out in force. I tried Natrapel first but it didn't work too well, so I used my Eucalyptus spray which worked better. There was a bit of a breeze on the top and there were no signs of them, but back at the car in the early afternoon they were terrible. I really didn't notice any mosquitoes.

Around here, over the weekend, with the cooler weather they haven't been too bad, but I suspect when it warms up things will change.

I was doing trail work on Saturday, so I was a slow-moving, easy target. I seem to have escaped with just two blackfly bites.

They say that it's the male balckflies that hatch first, and it's only the females that bite.

Blackflies and altitude

On Sat 14 May, 2 Cardigan Highlanders patrolled up West Ridge, Ranger Cabin, South Ridge to Rimrock and back down to West Ridge. 70 drains cleaned, 3 blowdowns removed from South Ridge.
In the cool weather, breeze from east, cloud ceiling 2700', we saw no flies above 2000'.

I was doing trail work on Saturday, so I was a slow-moving, easy target. I seem to have escaped with just two blackfly bites.

Had a similar experience on Mt. Chocorua doing trailwork. Midway up the Piper trail, the blackflies were in abundance. Not sure what elevation that is. Just didn't feel like breaking out the headnet though. too warm. No bites on or near the summit.