Blueberry Ledge Trail and Sleeper Trail to nice area below Whiteface summit, Nov.20th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
refusing to let go of autumn, hiking wherever it's still autumn...

The big flat area southwestish of the summit of Mt. Whiteface has been calling me. I started on the Blueberry Ledge Trail from Ferncroft...

IMG_2003aaa.jpg

nice trail along pretty ledgy areas...

IMG_2006aaa.jpg

IMG_2008aaa.jpg

BLT then climbs through some nice beech stands...still autumn, but with the sounds of winter wind above the trees...

IMG_2016aaa.jpg

and then through some pretty conifers...

IMG_2021aaa.jpg

many beautiful views from scattered ledges up higher...

IMG_2047aaa.jpg

IMG_2058aaa.jpg

hiked as far as the Sleeper Trail and took that down to the saddle area below the summit...

IMG_2082aaa.jpg

in this saddle area I found lots of little openings in the thick spruce, with lots of fresh moose sign...

IMG_2069aaa.jpg

IMG_2076aaa.jpg

I think this is an antler rub...

IMG_2077aaa.jpg

continiued...

Exploring an area 5 miles deep this time of year is a short day....only had a couple hours before it was time to leave...just have to come back I guess...

Why must coyotes poop right on rocks right in the trail? show-off...

IMG_2083aaa.jpg

A yearling bull moose caught my eye near the junction of the Blueberry Ledge Cutoff. I called him in with cow calls and I thought he'd come right into the trail. He came so close...

IMG_9541aaa-1.jpg

Since bulls tend to congragate this time of year, after the rut, I decided to try a bull call. Bad. He immediately took off for 100'. I went back to cow calls and slowly went toward him. He took a few steps back to me, but no more. After a few minutes he turned and left for good. Nice encounter :)

IMG_9549aaa.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bjc
Nice area!

I had read that insects and other critters make short work of discarded antlers for the minerals they contain. That mossy one looks like it's been lying there quite a while...?

Interesting spot!

Saturday we spooked a moose(s) near the summit of the Bulge on our return trip from Cabot-- I think it must have been more than one because the ground LITERALLY shook as the galloped away!