Descending the Dudley Trail - Katahdin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, it came at the end of a long day, I was tired, and had left my last water with folks who had hiked with me and had run out.

When I've been there, I've also given water to people who have run out. It's one of those mountains that fools people that way.

I descended the Dudley Trail after going up Cathedral and across Knife's Edge. It isn't a long trail - but the "down" is unrelenting. IIRC, it seemed as if every step required butt scooting - or at least a decent "jump" down. I don't think there were too many times when I could just take an easy step down.

I also remember thinking that I should be getting closer to Chimney Pond with each step down, but it seemed to take much longer than I would have thought. Of course, it came at the end of a long day, I was tired, and had left my last water with folks who had hiked with me and had run out. Unlike many trails, it doesn't level out until you are practically at Chimney Pond!

As has been my experience with Katahdin - there are no easy trails!

I agree with the above. All of my photos looking down the Dudley Trail look a lot like aerial photographs... certainly doable but steep. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
I descended Dudley when I was somewhere in the 12-14 yr old range. Like it's been said, it was steep and with huge boulders. I thought it was a blast, though challenging.

But the point I'll make is this. My mother was with us that day, she doesn't hike much, if at all. Though she may not have liked it, she made it down unscathed. So, if she can do it most people can as well!! :D

Originally posted by erugs:
When I've been there, I've also given water to people who have run out. It's one of those mountains that fools people that way

The guide book says that there are no water sources above treeline, and there is considerable trail above treeline on Katahdin. Plus you are gaining elevation very quickly. I always drink more when the terrain is steep, so I always carry more water.

The guide book says that there are no water sources above treeline, and there is considerable trail above treeline on Katahdin. Plus you are gaining elevation very quickly. I always drink more when the terrain is steep, so I always carry more water.

The guide book is incorrect. The Caribou Spring is next to the sign for the Hamlin Ridge Trail. I hiked up Saddle Trail and then hiked the ridge over to the junction with the Hamlin Trail and filtered some water at the spring. This was in Oct and the spring was running well.

And there's Thoreau Spring, too; however, without known hard evidence that they're running that day, you need to assume they're not.

Also planning Ktaadn for this summer. My wife is DEATHLY afraid of exposure, so I appreciate this discussion. May need to bring a rope and blindfold.

Anyone know of any web-based step-by-step accounts of the Knife Edge, and pix, especially of Chimney Notch (at top of Pamola)?

Also planning Ktaadn for this summer. My wife is DEATHLY afraid of exposure, so I appreciate this discussion. May need to bring a rope and blindfold.

Anyone know of any web-based step-by-step accounts of the Knife Edge, and pix, especially of Chimney Notch (at top of Pamola)?

If she is "DEATHLY" afraid of exposure, she will never get through Chimney Notch without completely freaking out. It's generally considered class III, although some will argue its class II. If I considered somebody to be, say, a 5/10 or higher on the "afraid-of-heights" scale, I would not encourage them to do so.

The good news is that you can climb to the top of Pamola and then look at the Chimney and decide to go from there. The rest of the Knife Edge, although intimidating, is not nearly as technically demanding.

I have sumitted and descended Katadhin from every direction (except down the knife, only up) and trail over the years. As someone who has real issues with fear of heights, I would never take anyone up the mountain who has exposure issues. Perhaps Abol, but the table land is still wide open. Saddle would be the next best option. I have done the knife 8 or 10 times, including solo. It is likely I will not do it again. The move at Chimney peak is quite nerveracking for those of us with the height "willies". The descent down Dudley is steep, but not much exposure.

Memory Of A Dudley Descent

Marty,
In the fall of 1991, we planned to hike the Knife's Edge via the Helon Taylor Trail. Once we reached the Knife's Edge it was so windy and cloudy that we decided to abandon the route over to Baxter Peak. Not wanting to go back the same route but to do a circuit we decided to descend via the Dudley Trail. It was brutal, taking us 2 hours to delicately make our way down the 1 mile boulder strewn trail. We had forgotten our gloves and with the cold temperature and wind chill our fingers had to be kept warm by alternating between our pockets and grabbing the rocks. We later learned that a fellow hiker measured the wind at 70 mph. on his wind gauge. :eek:

Mike and Donna :)

If she is "DEATHLY" afraid of exposure, she will never get through Chimney Notch without completely freaking out. It's generally considered class III, although some will argue its class II. If I considered somebody to be, say, a 5/10 or higher on the "afraid-of-heights" scale, I would not encourage them to do so.

The good news is that you can climb to the top of Pamola and then look at the Chimney and decide to go from there. The rest of the Knife Edge, although intimidating, is not nearly as technically demanding.
There are also some spots along the Knife Edge that are a bit exposed. IIRC, most of the ridge is just a walk, but there are some spots where you don't want to fall downhill...

Technically, the hardest spot is the short section between Chimney Notch and Chimney Peak. A short bit of scrambling (both hands and feet required). It isn't badly exposed--it is on the lower angle side away from Chimney Pond.

IMO, the easiest approach would be from the Baxter Peak end--simply turn back if a spot is too uncomfortable. You will probably get to hike more of the ridge from that end before turning back.

Doug

I descended the Dudley a few years ago and thought it was fun, but long and challenging. Must be even more challenging for shorter people.

Took the time to scramble most of the way up Index Rock (aka Pamola's Finger); lost my nerve a yard or two from the top.

"rup" Also planning Ktaadn for this summer. My wife is DEATHLY afraid of exposure, so I appreciate this discussion. May need to bring a rope and blindfold.

rup - here is a link to some pictures of a hike that Alan and I did a few years ago. We went up the Helon Taylor trail accross the Knife Edge and down Hamlin Ridge. These pictures should give you a good idea of Chimney Notch and the Knife Edge.

As part of not-quite PTSD, I remember every step of Chimney Notch about 5 years ago on a dry, warm day with no wind...

Climbed up the Dudley Trail, was more tired than I thought I'd be early on. Looked over from Pamola and thought "No way I can do this, no way, no way. Nonononono". Everyone else in the group, including some 30 years older, went at it without a peep. Thought to self: "OK, guess I have no real choice". The first 20 yards were OK. The next 100 yards were unbelievably steep and exposed, but there were really only about 10 big down-steps where people were helping each other out: "Step here, here, here and here." 2 or 3, I could not see my feet or where to put them. No big deal physically, really, just that you had to have your feet and your balance exactly right, and not fall. I never fall anyway, but this time I had to REALLY not fall.

At the bottom of the Chimney, another 100 yards very steep up. This was OK, as steep up is no big deal. Exposed, yes, but handholds were fine and straightforward.

Rest of the KE was just a deliberate, slowish rockhop with hands needed now and then.

I haven't even been on Katahdin but I've been in Baxter twice, and at least had planned to do Katahdin so I did some research on the different routes. If your wife wants to go up Katahdin but avoid the extra exposure, you could go up via Chimney Pond to Hamlin peak first, then over to Baxter peak, and descend via the Saddle trail. No need to torture her with the Knife Edge if she's afraid of a lot of exposure... ;)

No need to torture her with the Knife Edge if she's afraid of a lot of exposure... ;)

I totally agree with what Bob said. On the other hand, fear of exposure can be either disabling or bring the satisfaction of a fear overcome. Before going there can you and she practice on other areas where she'd face exposure?

While everyone's experience with these challenges can be different, she might feel better knowing others have overcome their fear. The first time I did the Knife Edge I was with a group "led" by a famous name in NH hiking. He put the group in order of boy - girl - boy - girl. (I guess that was so the women could support the men who were feeling uneasy?) I made my way across mostly on hands and feet (no knees - bad form!). The next time it was on foot with one hand frequently down. The time after that I stood up like a modern human.

Since then I have worked my way up to bigger technical climbs with great exposure and most of the fear is gone, but I still remember the day I was "frozen" crossing the Ammo, with one foot on one boulder, the other on the next, unable to rock hop, and I was laughed at and teased by my companion. :mad:

When I did the KE from Pamola, there was a group of Quebecers ahead of us. One terrified woman had to be talked inch by inch down the steepest part by her friends. "Jambe gauche ici". And she would move her left leg, quake, and then pull it back. But she did eventually make it over to Baxter Peak and was all smiles.

rup, I agree with BobC's post. I think of BSP as a long drive to a beautiful place. Probably would sour the trip by "forcing" your wife to do something she's DEATHLY afraid of doing. Chimney Pond is an awesome destination itself. Maybe hike there together, leave her there with a book and an iPod, and you do Katahdin / Knife Edge alone.....or something like that.

When I did Katahdin (Cathedral-Baxter-Knife Edge-Helon Taylor), we were leap-frogging with a group of about four girls most of the day. At one point I noticed one of the girls had a prosthetic arm. When I got to the top of the Cathedral Trail I thought to myself how cool it was that she did that trail with essentially one arm. So you can imagine how impressed I was when she got through the Chimney-Pamola notch.

Here are some pictures from our trip to BSP. A few pictures in there show the Chimney-Pamola notch area.

I'd rather go down Dudley than the Saddle Trail. You'll be fine, Marty.
I agree, I think the rock hopping on Dudley is a lot more fun than the gravel on Saddle.

I wouldn't bring her over the knife edge if she has problems with heights, the exposure is formidable even when it's foggy.

Thanks for the comments. I think we'll look for a way of avoiding the KE, although an over-and-back from Baxter may be an option. And perhaps Abol instead of the loop.

How long does the loop from Chimney Pond take. Guide book indicates ~13 miles and 4500' vertical. Most we've done lately is 8 miles.