Doing Tux - way the wrong way!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, an update. First of all -- see Seeker's avatar? Well all of that snow is not there in June!! :eek: Lots more exposed rocks to bounce off of!! Actually, bubba's don't really bounce, they get launched, flailing. :D

The fractured pelvis is not really painful. I've been to PT for a couple of weeks and we're having a great time. More about stretching the stiffness and restoring full movement. I really needed to get back into doing repetitive lunges anyway! :( Where all of the bruising was, is now a bit tender reminder of what was once.

Original blood-work revealed that my blood levels were a bit of a mess. Seems that they are near back on track. Most other stuff from the tests were great though, so that was good.

The only problem (with some question to it's relation to the fall) is that my stomach/digestive system won't behave. I can't seem to get back to normal. My tummy doesn't care for food, I lost 15+ pounds and my energy level fades and diminishes. I have the MD a bit concerned, so yesterday I spent a good part of the day having CAT Scans and Xrays.

Let's see if the tests confirm that there is a hiker within me!! :cool:

By the way, since my last post I did get an email from Forest Ranger, Nate. He returned to the crash scene the following Saturday and took some pictures and measurements. He told me that I lucked into the most gentle line I might have found and that 2-3 feet in either direction would have been much rougher (I'd say deadly). I found a less rocky, vegitative drainage area filled with scrub birch to tumble through -- after the initial hit that sent my airborne. Nate says I flew over major rocks and the actual Tuckerman's Trail (15-20 ft) and ultimately traveled over 100 feet (after the snow slide).

Thanks for the continued good thoughts. If I had a mountain closeby I'd be on it!! I'm planning of getting out on a trail this week sometime.

Keep healing well, Bubba! And trust me, you can still hike with a wacked-out digestive system. :D

Wow, didn't know you had 15-lbs to lose! :eek:

repetitive lunges

I don't know if I can get into that but I can sure do repetitive lounges

Keep at it Bubba, at least for Spencers BBQ...:)

Jay

Hi Bubba!

Somehow I missed this thread! Glad to hear you're getting better. I'll be in touch on email soon.

Giardiasis

Update: so I still feel crappy. Alas!! I just got a call from the MD office and some [slow] lab results found Giardiasis.

Oh, good. Yuck! :(

Script waiting at the pharmacy. I think it's a 10-day medication. Actually "we" are all very happy to identify the ailment.

bubba said:
Update: so I still feel crappy. Alas!! I just got a call from the MD office and some [slow] lab results found Giardiasis.

Oh, good. Yuck! :(

Script waiting at the pharmacy. I think it's a 10-day medication. Actually "we" are all very happy to identify the ailment.
They have to figure out what it is before they can treat it..

I had a bout picked up during a hiking trip to Switzerland. (Picked up in town, not on the trail.) The first dose of the medicine (flagl, IIRC) took care of it and I felt better quickly. According to Wilkerson (Medicine for Mountaineering), symtoms can vary and response to treatment can vary.

BTW, Wilkerson has over a page on the topic, might be worth a read if you have a copy.

Hope it clears rapidly and you feel better soon.

Doug

Giardiasis, ICK! Been there...no fun. As if you didn't already have enough to work through??

Bubba, you are *really* going to have to stop drinking the water "wild" ! Filters, you kneeeooow, real 21st century stuff...

May the mountains welcome you on your return! I'm sorry I am working this weekend, or I would have loved to join you for a stroll. :)

See you on the trails soon!

una_dogger said:
Bubba, you are *really* going to have to stop drinking the water "wild" ! Filters, you kneeeooow, real 21st century stuff...
In general, one is more likely to get giardiasis from other people who don't wash their hands than from contaminated drinking water. Fecal contamination and all that good stuff...

There are also some people who are asymptomatic carriers, so they may not feel the need to take precautions to protect others.

Doug

DougPaul said:
In general, one is more likely to get giardiasis from other people who don't wash their hands than from contaminated drinking water. Fecal contamination and all that good stuff...

Doug

Interesting point! I was thinking more along the lines of in a hiking context, as in "beaver fever"!

Get well soon, Bubba!

una_dogger said:
Interesting point! I was thinking more along the lines of in a hiking context, as in "beaver fever"!
The hiking version is that you are more likely to get it from other hikers than from the water...

All the stuff about washing one's hands after visiting the woods and before handling food still applies, even when hiking.

The water filter and purification product makers have a commercial interest in making sure that people know about the risk from the water but not about the other sources.

Doug

While I am sure it is no fun--that diagnosis must have been good news after what you went through.

I apologize if my previous post (re: bubbas bounce) sounded like I took what you went through lightly--it's clear to me that things could have gone much worse. :eek: Sometimes when one posts late at night...

Hope the drugs do their magic quickly and you feel better soon!

Keep up the good healing!

Hey, Bubba!
I haven't been on line much, and I was just reading about your ordeal!! So happy for you that you didn't take the rockiest path down!! Great that you are beginning to feel better! :)