EMS not standing behind their products

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were they the "Flash" we had two pair. My wife's have held up well, mine lasted one season. I took them back to the EMS in Buffalo with the receipt, the best they offered was 50% off my next pair. I was disappointed in that response and choose to purchase their replacements some where else.

I believe they were the Flash model. I really liked the boots and couldn't believe the way the heel fell apart.

I guess I was lucky to run into the right sales person and get a replacement pair. This was in the Cranston, RI store.

We've always had great service at EMS whether it be for refunds, exchanges, or replacements. This past year we picked up the wrong set of Superfeet. In talking with one of the folks at the store a few weeks later about how lame we were, we were told to just bring them back for the right set - even though we had already cut them to size!

Concord is our favorite store by far.

Most people only call/write customer service when their is an issue, so don't forget to let them know when you get great service as well!

Over the years I bought a load of good stuff at EMS but only had one occasion to test out their customer service or "customer no-service" as the case may be. So a few years ago I put a good size hole in my -40 down bag:eek: (don't ask how;)) Now I wanted to get it repaired as I had i big trip coming up. I called around to 3 or 4 EMS stores (Boston, Peterborough and several others) for some help and was told that their repair dept. was not taking in any new work.:mad:
I finally talked to the manager at the W. Htfd. store. He left me on hold for a minute, came back and said to bring it in. They were doing inventory and apparently planning to get rid of some of the older stock. They replaced my 20 year old bag with a brand new (floor model), -40 down bag, NO CHARGE! Now thats what I call customer service. I made sure to email corporate to let them know how pleased I was. Stu

Update--
Shortly after posting this, I hit the AT with my father for most of the week. Now that he's on his way back home (knees mostly surviving), I found a VFTT message from someone at EMS corporate, another from a rank-and-file EMS employee, and an email from the Boston store manager (who pulled some google-fu to find my address.)

So EMS is paying attention and would like to resolve this. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Update--

So EMS is paying attention and would like to resolve this.

Cool. The Danbury, CT store is great with things like this and the manager, Kevin, is freakin AWESOME ! I've bought things on line and returned them there - new/unused - because of fit or whatever and it's never a problem even though they don't carry the product (like snowboarding boots) locally.

As far as returning old gear for a refund, that's just a whole heap of bad karma coming back to the returner.

I just got home from a nice conversation with Tim, the Comm Ave store manager. He agreed that the repair should be on EMS's dime and it's on its way out. (He offered a replacement, but I think it makes more sense to try the repair; it's mostly a good jacket.)

He also reiterated that EMS is committed to customers leaving the store happy and he's discussed that with his staff.

We talked about a few other things in the EMS-customer relationship (including this thread and the variety of feelings people have) and you might hear more on that front.

At this point I've got back most of my confidence in EMS; if one runs into problems, I suppose the general rule is "gently push it up the chain a bit."

I have always had good experiences with EMS, both in their NYC stores and the one in North Conway, NH.

Portsmouth/Newington store...

Just $0.02 on another location that hasn't much been mentioned: I've given up on EMS after multiple visits to the store in Portsmouth/Newington.

The atmosphere is awful (big box type store, concrete floor.. etc), and I've found that the floor help will avoid passing too close to you lest they need to answer a question. Extremely disappointing after many years of support.

So just another log for the fire: Portsmouth store = disappointing retail experience. When they were still in the Fox Run Mall, the staff seemed much friendlier and much more knowledgeable.

I has been a dedicated EMS'er, however, I've found that there are so many other options out there, I owe it to the other retailers to give them a chance before returning to EMS.

FWIW, my experiences have generally been good as several stores. These days, I generally visit the Newton MA store where I have been treated well (but I haven't tried to return anything).

Doug

The atmosphere is awful (big box type store, concrete floor.. etc), and I've found that the floor help will avoid passing too close to you lest they need to answer a question.

I have shopped at this location, too, but haven't found they avoid me. In fact, I like being left around to shop on my own. The idea that you see them avoid "passing to close" in my mind makes me think they know that you are there and will help you if they sense you are wanting it. I, personally, don't care much for stores that leap upon my entrance, asking if they can help. (When I'm in a hardware store I have to sometimes work at not being upset and assuming they're doing that because of my gender.)

I've worked in retail for an outfitter and have learned to recognize the "get away from me" body language some customers have. ;)

Last edited:
When I go to EMS it is usually at the Marlborough MA store. Up till recently I felt they had become just a big box store, with poor advice and average product (I saw them sell backpacks to a father and son for a multi-day hike without even checking to see if it was the right size). But that seems to have completely turned around in the past few months. They have brought in new staff who are very knowledgeable and treat customer service as their top job. Someone must have been listening to the complaints.

EMS not...

Well- Not being there at the time it's hard to weight in, but here's two of my experiences with EMS..

I had a kinda similar experience with a pair of gaiters. The sales clerk tried to convince me that I was being unreasonable, but I refused to cave. The gaitors where two years old- but worn only in the winter months. I had a receipt. I did get a replacement eventually.

Another time I came to the same EMS with my Whisperlight pump that had broken. No receipt and I got a replacement immediately, with a nice apology. These pumps are known to have a design flaw, but still...

The first experience I was dressed down and the second time I was "suited up" in professional office attire.

Do you think that sales clerks are impressed by your clothing? Do you think that you are accorded more respect if; you are dressed "better", or wearing leisure gear that is "top shelf", or a man verses a women?

I believe there is a difference.

Making judgements about others is a wide-ranging problem that is difficult to overcome. We have regular workshops at work about recognizing discrimination. I think I'm open-minded and yet I'm sometimes :eek: still caught by surprise.

I have had mostly positive experiences with EMS on any store visits and have needed to use the return policy for defective equipment that was not abused. I believe alot of the poor experiences are often with people that lack experience and as someone said passion for the sports they are there to support. Years ago when I was about to drop what I considered alot of money for my first pack the salesperson took the time to fit me to it and discuss strong and weak points of the available equipment. Sometimes now it is pretty obvious that a few staff members may not even do any outdoor sports. I usually ask some icebreaking questions to get a feel for what sports they know and am very cautious not to judge by age, gender or physical condition.

I once discussed issues with an employee at the Concord NH store and found he had been a Montana smoke jumper fighting forest fires. Excellent advice on boots, repairs and toe rands. The boots I had were not from them but the next pair was. Similar experiences have happened in EMS competitors with both inexperienced to outgoing and very experienced. Also hats off to Lahouts for being the only ones to have Denali tails in the northeast during early winter '09 so I could break Osceolas!

I can also proudly say that most of my equipment bears a "returned/defective" X from wanna be hikers and small defects I can live with or repair! Foolish not to get bargains and save money for gas and steaks!;)

Last edited:
You will always get the best treatment in a place where, to borrow a phrase, "everybody knows your name". I have a first-name relationship with many bike shop employees (managers and owners included) and as you might expect, I get treated pretty well. I have always believed in buying the shop, so to speak, and that means you shouldn't go there to try something on and then purchase it from steep-and-cheap or zappos or whatever.

Even if they don't know their name (or they yours) if you are in there often enough that you look familiar you will often get better service. If I go into the place with an attitude, I often come out with a worse one.

The full-time people at the grocery store know my name, know my kids names, have watched them grow up, etc. Without asking, I get the little extras, like a new package at the deli, or the fish in the fridge cut to order, etc. I am not wearing a suit on Saturday (not that I ever wear one), often I'm unshaven and wearing a baseball cap...

Think about it.

Tim

It's been lost a bit in the flurry of hiking and other prep, but I did get the jacket back from EMS, and the repair looks pretty nice. Both the repaired and the not-broken side look the same; I'm not sure if they just did both to be sure or if the formerly broken side had totally missed the stitching. At any rate, quite pleased with the outcome.

Are you a member?

I've worked in retail for an outfitter and have learned to recognize the "get away from me" body language some customers have. ;)

YES! And I love you for recognizing that. I want to be left alone, but a bit of eye contact is nice if I want to get some attention. I cannot stand REI asking if you are a member every second you turn a corner. I avoided being a member for that very reason (well maybe a few other reasons too). I actually had an REI register-person give me a hard time/guilt trip for not being a member. I think I might have said some not so nice things, can't remember...I try not to shop there because of that cult mentality and borderline harassment.

Leave me alone and I will ask for help when I need it. It is my dollar and my time.

... I actually had an REI register-person give me a hard time/guilt trip for not being a member.....

A bit of a thread drift, but along these lines, I was making a purchase at Orvis store in Manchester Center, VT a number of years ago. When I handed the clerk my LLBean Visa card, she looked me right in the eye and said, "you've been bad!" LMAO!