First Backcountry of the season - Northern VT 12/7/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After the NET Telemark Festival at Jay on Saturday, we attempted a trip to some backcountry glades we knew of. We hoped there would be enough snow; there is essentially none on the ground in Troy so elevation is key. The group was Brenda (Seeker), Rider.Steve, Mike, Michelle, Peter, Anne, Jeff, and yours truly. We got to the parking area around 10:30, skinned up and headed into the woods.

vt_backcountry%20047.jpg

The skin up the trail was fairly quick, then Jeff set a skin track up to the glade in question. The snow looked pretty good, with a bit of a breakable crust but otherwise better then we expected. We had arrived in two groups, 15 minutes apart, so our group got up top first and grabbed first tracks.

vt_backcountry%20058.jpg

The first run was pretty good, but we expected the second to be better once we cut up the crud a bit. The other 4 skied a good run as well; we quickly skinned up again. The second run was even better, as we expected. There were a few good falls, but the turns more then made up for it. After the second run we headed out since we still had a 4+ hour drive back to Boston. We could use a bit more snow, but the season is starting off pretty well.

vt_backcountry%20171.jpg

Some video is HERE.

The rest of the photos are HERE.

Dave,
you guys should have headed over to Big Jay, there was plenty of snow there as well and the herd path was broken out thanks to FerrisJ!

Last edited:
A'int life grand when you get your first bc days in? Hope there's plenty more to come!

right on...:cool:I know that spot but I'm not telling.:) Gotta love the one plankers to break it up a bit for ya:D love the Surfer Boy music in the background on the Video.

That's the original surfer boy music - Dick Dale and his Del-tones!

Last edited:
those are some nice photos ... i'm pretty psyched to find this site has ski people on it too! if anyone's ever looking for someone to ski with, please let me know!

NIce pics Dave!!

Looks like a fun day and a good group to play in the snow with....

Very nice... pics don't convey breakable crust too well so I'll just keep picturing them as without :D

That's the original surfer boy music - Dick Dale and the Dell-tones!
I was going to say... he has toured in the NE some and I saw him once in CT and a friend of mine saw him two years in a row... he is quite the showman and a great show to see. Plus, he plays at smaller venues like Toad's (where I saw him) and at the Middle East in Cambridge... which makes it even better.
Unfortunately, I just went to his website to check out what his touring schedule was this year and saw this message:
http://www.dickdale.com/dates.html

:(

Really nice pictures, Dave. I have been wanting to learn telemark for some years now. Do You know of any clinics? rentals?
Thanks, Sandy

Funny you should mention that.

The AMC Boston Chapter Ski committee is running a novice telemark workshop at Wachusett on Jan 10.

Saturday, January 10, 2009. Novice Telemark Ski Clinic at Mt. Wachusett Ski Area. 8:30 AM-4 PM (rain day Sunday, January 11)
Expand your X-C and backcountry skiing skills at this workshop. Learn how to descend a steep grade using snowplow and basic telemark turns on backcountry or telemark skis. This workshop is offered at Wachusett ski resort, starting on the beginner slope and moving to steeper slopes for those that need more challenge. Metal-edged skis and stiff boots are highly recommended. We will split into small groups depending on ability and equipment. Pre-registration is required. Reg. with Jessica Ross([email protected]). Cost is $55 - includes lift ticket.