Franconia ridge questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I clearly need to do it both ways, and also to do a couple of the options including Skook and Greenleaf in order to really get the full experience.

And definitely I need some night hikes and why not some sunrise hikes too. And it'll all look different in autumn, so I'll have to do everything again in October....
Got it.

:D

Now, next decision, trail runners or hiking boots??! I usually use boots, and my runners are a bit flimsy, but they are lighter. Ah, decisions....each seems impossible for the longest time and then none seem to matter once I'm on the trail...

ps - if you can, do it as a night hike on or close to the full moon. It'll still be 81% full on Tuesday night but moonrise is getting later (almost 10pm). Very little beats the magic of being above treeline by moonlight.

I can vouch for a moonlight hike. Did it a couple of winters running. First time was in February, and by coincidence was Valentine's Day. Got a bit of flack from my wife about 9 straight guys doing a moonlit hike together on Valentine's Day. Happened to be a crystal clear, subzero night - one of the more memorable ones.

I also learned to never eat 2 Big Mac's at 5PM just prior to climbing OBP.

Now, next decision, trail runners or hiking boots??!

In my oh-so-truly-humble opinion, you'll be fine with trail runners as long as they have a good, sticky sole on rock. The Franconia Ridge Loop is nothing like, say, the interminable sharp, angled boulders you must continually hop in the Northern Presidentials. I can't think of any really bad footing on the hike, nor anything that would outright mandate the stronger support or stiffness of a boot.

Kevin, that sounds horrifying and beautiful all at once. I don't eat meat, so I am at relatively low risk for BMF (big mac fisaco)...but anything involving 9 straight men and moonlight is of course right up my alley. :cool:

Michael, thanks for the info. Been wearing the hiking boots all week to make sure I don't get blistery...but now the trail runners are kinda pulling me in. I am slow enough without big-ish boots on my feetz. They aren't super-tough like my recently deceased Salomon and nearly deceased Merrells were. They're like one step up from running sneakers, so not perfect....but probably not going to blister or slow me down. Perhaps I'll give em a try.

Unless it is especially wet, trail runners are fine for the loop. This is assuming you're comfortable on rough surfaces in trail runners. I tend to use them for everything these days.

I vote clockwise and trail runners. I like having lighter feet and the footing is good most of the way. I like clockwise cause if its hot you can take off you shoes (easier with trail runners) and soak your feet on the falling waters trail.

Right now you will find Three-Toothed Cinquefoil and Mountain Sandwort are blooming. Both have tufts of white flowers. The Mountain Sandwort foliage looks like grass (I think sandy beach grass, and that's how I remember the name). Cinquefoil has broader, almost oval leaves (I think if the leaves were boats they wouldn't sink and that's how I remember that name). We saw Mountain Avens in bloom weekend before last. On the way up/down we saw bunchberry in all stages: white blossoms higher up, beginnings of berries lower down, red berries at the base. Purple trillium are beginning to form their one large red berry, too. Also, Clintonia is now becoming its other name, "Blue Bead Lily." Saw rhodora in bloom on Moriah on Saturday and a few mountain cranberries blooming. Also saw the red berries underneath Solomon Seal.

Last edited:
Now, next decision, trail runners or hiking boots??!

Unless you have a specific reason not to, I'll second/third the trail runner idea. Put 'em on and never look back, nasty scree slopes and winter conditions aside.

Hmmm...CW or CCW? boots or trail runners?....if you start asking about snowshoes/bareboots or who funds rescues on Lafayette, I'm going to think you're just trying to stir up controversy around here... ;)

Enjoy the ridge however you opt to do it.

The few times I have done it, I have gone CW as I prefer the viewpoints off the OBP early before hitting the hut and ridge up top. I agree with one other who said if going CCW, those views would prolly be after-thoughts after already being up on the ridge with all the views. And I like hitting the Falls at the end of the day/hike.

That said, the next time I do this loop, I do want to try it CCW just for something different now, so I would also agree it must be done both ways and multiple times since its such a classic great hike.