Gentlemen thieves?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys - Lets keep it to what happened and how to prevent it so this doesn't turn into a firearms thread that needs the attention of mods.
Thanks,
Alan

I make a point of waving my wallet several times over my head after I've locked the door in case the scum are watching- not sure if that helps at all.

Maybe you should rethink that. If they know hikers are carrying their valuables, the thieves will start mugging instead of breaking-in.

Maybe you should rethink that. If they know hikers are carrying their valuables, the thieves will start mugging instead of breaking-in.

Just another reason to carry an ice axe. :)

Break Ins

Wouldn't worry about this...criminals too lazy to chase down hikers in the woods:D. Trailheads, on the other hand, are an altogether different thing.

Terrible violation to have someone rifle through your stuff.

Park in a puddle that spreads all the way under the car, but not deep enough to touch the rims (just the tires in the water). Then surreptitiously drop a wire from the hot (non frame) side of the battery into the puddle. Perps will have an interesting experience when they lay in the puddle and then complete the circuit with their sawzall. (disclaimer - I haven't tested this, it may just result in a dead battery, not a dead perp.)

Break Ins

Park in a puddle that spreads all the way under the car, but not deep enough to touch the rims (just the tires in the water). Then surreptitiously drop a wire from the hot (non frame) side of the battery into the puddle. Perps will have an interesting experience when they lay in the puddle and then complete the circuit with their sawzall. (disclaimer - I haven't tested this, it may just result in a dead battery, not a dead perp.)

Good porcupine deterent, too.:D But seriously- do you really want to hurt someone?:confused: I see jail time in your future.:p

I have no intention of shooting anyone for breaking into my vehicle.

But, that's just me.

And yes, I own guns. Several. And yes, I've had my vehicle broken into.

Still not going to shoot someone over it.

*sigh* I can't believe I am about to dignify this with a response, and yet.....

sarcasm: (sahr-kaz-uhm) noun; a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

joke: (johk) noun, verb, joked, jok·ing.
–noun
1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke.
4. something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class.

An example of both words used in a sentance: "My origional post was a sarcastic joke."

Apparently you seem to have missed said joke. ;)

Brian

I doubt it and hope that was a joke.

It's a big jump to graduate from petty theft to mugging some one, muggings also carry a lot stiffer penalties. I think ( but don't know) that most break ins at trail heads are opportunity crimes carried out by lazy people and punk kids. They would find it easier to get a job then chase people down in the woods.

We have resorted to leaving gift items for the thieves which resemble valuables but are literally full of s--t.

It almost makes you wonder whether it'd be a better idea to leave nothing at all valuable in your car, and just leave it unlocked.

This was mentioned in a similar (19 Mile) thread and the point was made that your insurance might not cover you for theft of items or the whole car if you fail to take the "standard precaution" of locking the car.

If nothing else I'd read the policy before attempting..

I wouldn't try it.

If the wire shorts to the frame, it could explode and/or set the car on fire.

12V is highly unlikely to hurt anyone directly. (FWIW, If I don't have access to a meter, I lick the terminals on 9V batteries as a quick test...)

And as I understand it, automatic booby traps make you legally liable...

However, the mud around the puddle might record some footprints.

Doug

Oh well; I guess even though it's a lot of fun, "instant justice" is out!

Maybe just rig the undercarriage of the car with paint bombs and stink bombs (like the cops do with ransom money). No harm, but it would make it easier to track down the perps.

Keeping an Eye Out

I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to come back to the trail head just as some no good so-and-so smashed the window in the car next to mine. I kept quit until I could get a license number, then showed myself. These two punks had a long talk with the local sheriff.

I now take the time when I driving home, (late afternoons, punks don't like early mornings) to slow down and drive through trail head parking lots, looking for anything out of the ordinary. I'm talking about the trail heads off the main highways, like Galehead, The Twins, Tripoli Rd, ect.

If I see a vehicle with one or more persons just hanging out, I stop, and wait. Most of the time you can tell if the people are hiker, or up to no good. I take down the vehicle license plate number and store it in my phone.

Most of the time they either get out of their car and start to gear up, or they leave. Just twice, I've walked over to the car and asked If their having "car trouble". Kind of a hint to leave!

We have to start to look out for each other. I'm sure in the time those punks took to hack off a converter, more then on hiker drove past the trailhead.

Just stay safe, look out for each other (like we do on the trail) and be observant.

Leave Free and Hike.....Walker

This is why I almost always park at the Highland Center if I'm doing a Crawford Path hike. That Mt. Clinton Road lot is perfect for thieves - close to a major road without being visible from the road.

Break Ins

I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to come back to the trail head just as some no good so-and-so smashed the window in the car next to mine. I kept quit until I could get a license number, then showed myself. These two punks had a long talk with the local sheriff.

I now take the time when I driving home, (late afternoons, punks don't like early mornings) to slow down and drive through trail head parking lots, looking for anything out of the ordinary. I'm talking about the trail heads off the main highways, like Galehead, The Twins, Tripoli Rd, ect.

If I see a vehicle with one or more persons just hanging out, I stop, and wait. Most of the time you can tell if the people are hiker, or up to no good. I take down the vehicle license plate number and store it in my phone.

Most of the time they either get out of their car and start to gear up, or they leave. Just twice, I've walked over to the car and asked If their having "car trouble". Kind of a hint to leave!

We have to start to look out for each other. I'm sure in the time those punks took to hack off a converter, more then on hiker drove past the trailhead.

Just stay safe, look out for each other (like we do on the trail) and be observant.

Leave Free and Hike.....Walker

I'm In! :):):):)

Oddly enough, if I were hanging out post-hike by the car, stretching or rehydrating, and Walker stopped as noted, I would find *their* behavior to be suspicious and would likely make a point to take down their plate on my drive away!

Take my Number

MichaelJ: Oddly enough, if I were hanging out post-hike by the car, stretching or rehydrating, and Walker stopped as noted, I would find *their* behavior to be suspicious and would likely make a point to take down their plate on my drive away!

Please, If you see a vehicle acting abnormally, PLEASE take down the license plate number. Also look for any markings, bumper stickers, or damage to the vehicle.

If you take down my license plate number, also note the AMC sticker, the RMC sticker, the VFFT sticker and the TTOR sticker.

OR you can come on over and offer me a BEER!!! A Sammie Light is always nice after a long hike...Iced of coarse. :D :D :D

Life Free and Hike....Walker

Last edited: