Haystack for 46 Under Sunny Blue Skies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
May 25, 2008; 1:27pm. Arrival on top. Number 46. Having waited about 15 minutes just below the summit for MichaelJ, because I had promised I'd let him see me finish.

No wind, warm sun, blue skies, outstanding views in every direction. :) Jay summed it up best, "in the Adirondacks, all you see is mountains, mountains, and more mountains."

A long wait since October 2007 the right day. Believing I was leaving the best High Peak for last, I was not disappointed. About an hour spent lounging on the summit, sharing stories, smiles, and sunshine. Mountains are for sharing. A yummy Alligash White on the summit thanks to MichaelJ, a sweet new ADK 46er patch, thanks to 1Adam12! :D A nice touch.

In and out of the Garden we go with MichaelJ, Terra, Leaf, Adventurous, Allison, Jay, Prino, Jacko, Colden and friend.

12 wonderful hours in the forest, 18 miles of fresh air, fun times at the camground afterwards..thanks guys, it was a great day!

Good times, good times....life is good!

Pics may be found here:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EYuWzNs1bsO6&notag=1

Last edited:
:) --congrats

Haystack is a superb spot to finish (now don't forget to do McNaughton :) )

jim (the McDonald's parking lot in Lincoln last year)

Last edited:
buckyball1 said:
:) --congrats

Haystack is a superb spot to finish (now don't forget to do McComb :) )

jim (the McDonald's parking lot in Lincoln last year)

Thanks, Jim! I remember meeting you! But I *think* you mean McNaughton? :rolleyes: A whole bunch of us plan on it later in the summer, just to make us all "official". :D

CONGRATS!!!

About time! Again, sorry I couldn't join you. I was really looking forward to it. But in my rush to get ready the night before I broke my toe. I still set my alarm and when it went off at 2:00 am the first thing I did was try to get my boot on. Needless to say, I'm sidelined for a little while.:( I didn't cry through the break, or putting the toe back up on the foot where it belonged, but I cried when I couldn't put that boot on!

What are you planning to finish the 48 and 115 on? Maybe I can join you on one of those!

Last edited:
Thank you!

I was soooo sorry to hear about your toe! I hope you won't be sidelined for too long??

I was thinking of you and Prino at his Haystack finish in February, my main thoughts were "holy crap, I can't believe they did this in WINTER!". Quite the dramatic climb over Little Haystack!!

I'm hoping to finish the 48 on West Bond in July and the 115 looks like it will be on Sugarloaf in Maine??? There is still the possibility of a 48/67/115 combined finish, though. Busy summer for us as MJ is nearing completion of the NEHH as well. :D

I hope your toe is better for the GRT and PT's!!

TMax said:
CONGRATS!!!

What are you planning to finish the 48 and 115 on? Maybe I can join you on one of those!

Last edited:
Congrats! Sorry we could not be there, but we waived from Pitchoff! :D

How was the snow?

Love the pics, especially 10, 11, 12! :D

Last edited:
Yeh!!

Congratulations Sabrina!

It was a fantastic day all around. The weather couldn't have been better, great company, no bugs and a very tasty beer at the top of the best mountain in the daks.
It was an honor to be there to share your final summit.

It was exactly 3 months since I finished my 46 on the same summit on a very similar day although a few degrees cooler.

Love the Pictures!

Wow, what a beautiful hike! Congratulations again. I'm so glad I was there to share the day with you. :D

My pictures are here: http://hikingleaf.smugmug.com (slideshow button on the top right!)

Last edited:
WAY TO GO SABRINA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your welcome for the patch but I told MJ to take all the credit. I guess you have an honest man there ;)

It was great seeing all of you on Sunday night and wish I could have hung out longer and got there earlier :D Seth and I waved to you from the summit of Algonquin :p

Congrats again!

Adam

Finish on Haystack yesterday must have been absolutely fantastic.
Congratulations Sabrina! I am just sad that I could not be there, as you have invited me to accompany you for that special day.
I am verrrrry happy for you. :) :)

It was an honor and a privilege to accompany Sabrina yesterday for her big finish. I tried to encourage her whenever possible to get up there, and the result was the thrill of watching her tear through the high peaks last summer and fall, taking advantage of every weekday off and especially the time "between" Vermont and Massachusetts. :)

It was a stellar weekend for her finish. We had an awesome campsite (thanks Adventurous!), great companions, simply perfect weather, trail conditions that even when requiring tricky navigation over deep snow managed to stay just this side of not bad at all, incredible views, and I learned the rush of "going for time" as I (yes, me!) suggested we try for a 12 hour time, including our summit lounging, and powered by glucose made it from JBL to the Garden in 1:10 for a 12:10 overall day. W00t!

Congratulations, una_dogger!!!! I'm damned proud of you. The 115 isn't very far in the future, either. :)

I took a ton of pictures and they are all geocoded and in my photo album, as well as a Google map.

Thanks everyone!

I am still somewhat at a loss for words!

It was absolutely one of the best days I have ever hiked. Perfect perfect weather! Amazing views. Great people!

We met a group on the summit that consisted of three generations - the eldest having completed the 46 nearly fourty years ago! He said as he took long sweeping glances across the mountains, "this may be the last time I will be up here" -- he was 65. I'm sure he's got alot of peaks left in him, and he's got some grandkids who are very enthusiastic about the 46, so... :)

Huge congrats to you Sabrina !

Sunday was a perfect day to be on Haystack, that's for sure. At the same moment, I was back at the tent after a climb up Sawtooth #4... If you ever plan to go for that list, let me know !

BTW, I'm finishing the 115 on Bigelow soon, do you think you can beat me ? ;)