Holding Branches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you hold branches for your fellow hikers?

• Yes

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • It depends

Votes: 36 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
eruggles said:
What does that mean? Sorry, but your comment makes me wonder about why you'd want her as a GF? Or, more importantly, why she'd want you for a BF. What a thing to say, even in jest! :(
I won't get into the why's of my relationship, but what does this mean?
It means that I extend it as a courtesy to her on the trail because she asked since I didn't realize I was doing it... the same reason why I put the toilet seat down at her house and at my house the seat stays up.

...don't be fooled by the menacing avatar- I can be sweet as a cupcake... and tough as week-old bread.

I don't understand why anybody would want to hike that closely to my rear end, to be honest.

Seriously though, I don't understand why people hike that closely together. I want to be able to look around as I hike, not stare at someone's heels in front of me. I'll hold a branch, or advise of its impending whack, but generally I ask people not to hike that closely behind me to begin with.

If they refuse, whack away! ;)

blacknblue said:
I don't understand why anybody would want to hike that closely to my rear end, to be honest.

Seriously though, I don't understand why people hike that closely together. I want to be able to look around as I hike, not stare at someone's heels in front of me. I'll hold a branch, or advise of its impending whack, but generally I ask people not to hike that closely behind me to begin with.

If they refuse, whack away! ;)

I agree with your point, but will repond as one who all too frequently does that.

Depending on the type of trail at the time (steepness, snow and ice, footing) I have a habit of looking down while moving to ensure proper footing. If the person in front of me stops or slows down I find myself almost rear ending them.

Bad habit on my part but I just Zone Out sometimes.

Seperation seems to be the answer but I'd hold the branches as I believe my usual hiking partners.

blacknblue said:
I don't understand why anybody would want to hike that closely to my rear end, to be honest.QUOTE]

When I hike close it is to hear the conversation. My friends and I talk as we hike. So what's a little gas between friends? ;)

If holding branches for the person behind me is an "etiquette thing," then so is walking so closely behind me that I have to worry about holding those branches instead of letting them fly. I wouldn't intentionally hit someone with a branch, but I think it's wise for hikers to spread out in those conditions to avoid the possibility of getting hit in the face.

I chose 'it depends' because I'm wearing them...no, no wait, that's another site.....

Some people I hike with on a regular basis have made it clear they would rather have me hold the branch for myself, pass through then let them do the same for themselves...otherwise, like holding a door open for someone, I will be mindful and hold the branch for them....if it's someone I don't particularly care for, then I make sure I take it to the limit and then let 'er go.....oops, sorry Mad River, are you ok? :D :D

...Jade

Last edited:
I was always taught while bushwahcking to keep a 5-10 feet from the person in front of you for this reason. I do find myself holding them for people but then I try to get ahead so I dont have to. All that holding time starts to add up and you can go much quicker when ya dont have to worry bout poking someones eye out!

If someone is that close behind me I let them get in front. Then I stay back enough not just for the branches but mostly because of poles!! I hate looking up and a pole point be inches from my face.

(How people can bushwhack with poles is beyond me :rolleyes: )

Poles. I'd forgotten about poles. They're dangerous! :eek: Some people hold them out behind them as weapons, but I don't think they mean it that way. Sometimes, if I'm not trying to take part in a conversation, I've held a pole out in front of me momentarily as gage, kind of a reminder to not to get too close.

I don't understand why anyone would intentionally let a branch snap back and hit someone. (And then what, sneer and say "Well, you've gotta learn to watch out for those"?) Between that and the let's-go-stomp-with-our-crampons-on-the-person-who-caused-SherpaKroto to-crash, I'm wondering about some of the people who frequent this Web site.

Anyway, I don't stand there holding a branch until everyone I'm with passes by, but if the person behind me is close enough I'll hold it and if there's a branch near eye level or if I hit my head on one, I'll warn Susan about it (as we're about the same height).

Of course I always hold branches for people who are walking close behind me. It would be outright inconsiderate to do otherwise, and I can’t imagine anyone who is a respectable person behaving or seeing it otherwise.

That said, I try to keep my distance so the person ahead doesn’t have to hold branches from snapping back in order to maintain his/her respectability. There is a self-preservation as well as a look-out-for-the-other-guy component in that. Occasionally I’ll suggest that a follower drop back to stay out of harm’s way in case a branch gets away from me inadvertantly (which sometimes happens).

This is all about common decency and common sense. It should not require much at all in the way of debate or discussion.

G.

I put depends.......................

Not so much on me persay, moreso on who I'm hiking WITH. For instance, most times I try to use a good sense of spacial awareness and if on-trail, will always go out of my way to make sure that if someone is close enough to get hit be a wayward branch i let fly, I'll hold it back or otherwise take steps to protect their safety.

OTOH, if I'm hiking with, say................. Neil or Peakbagr, I'll get real quiet approaching said branch, then lean into it a little extra, while waiting for that perfect moment.......................... Then.

WHAM

I let them have it :D

jade said:
if it's someone I don't particularly care for, then I make sure I take it to the limit and then let 'er go.....oops, sorry Mad River, are you ok? :D :D

...Jade

Ouch! If your dog were on a leash this wouldn't have happened! :p

Raymond said:
I don't understand why anyone would intentionally let a branch snap back and hit someone. (And then what, sneer and say "Well, you've gotta learn to watch out for those"?) Between that and the let's-go-stomp-with-our-crampons-on-the-person-who-caused-SherpaKroto to-crash, I'm wondering about some of the people who frequent this Web site.
You might be taking the comments here too seriously.

I don't think anyone of us intentionally snaps branches at people so they learn their lesson, but sometimes mistakes do happen and people who are not used to hiking with others or are not aware that someone is behind them might forget about the branch and someone will get hit in the face with a branch. It's life, things like that happen even if not intentionally - it has happened to me and I'm sure it has happened to others.

I wouldn't do it intentionally but I think self-reliance is an important lesson to learn:

Hold back a branch for someone and they won't get hit by a branch that time...
Teach them how to avoid being hit by branches and they won't get hit by branches for a lifetime.

"It depends"

It depends on how close they are, and whether I can manage to smack them in the face or not.

Seriously, more often than not I don't. We have an understanding that the front guy yells "branch" and the next guy covers anything that is not "branch-friendly".

DougPaul said:
An alternative that no one has mentioned is "putting the branch back in place" so it does not snap back at a follower. (Not the same as holding a branch.)

Doug

Excellent nuance. But I pretty much equate this with "holding" a branch. At least I have ahold of the branch until it gently returns to normal position and relaxes.

G.

DougPaul said:
An alternative that no one has mentioned is "putting the branch back in place" so it does not snap back at a follower. (Not the same as holding a branch.)

My first post mentioned pushing the branch down instead of forward, when applicable. Similar...

I love this thread! Sometimes I feel like a such hiking geek until I see I'm certainly NOT alone. Thank goodness there is a forum for discussing these important topics!

I don't hold usually, but will tell someone if he/she is too close to me and the threat is there. It feels like more efficient hiking if people take care of themselves and avoid bottle-necking. I watch out for myself in return.

Then again, in certain groups......