I post trip reports because:

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you post trip reports

• Total voters
the only reason, I can post them is I commute near 2 hours on the train and I will write them on my commute and post them when I get online.

Its just fun stuff, way to re-live the hike with the people I hike with. Plus it serves as an opportunity to recruit others to come over to the dark side of hiking - we all don't like to talk about birds and flowers on hikes ;)

accepting applications as we speak. :p

forestgnome said:
I yawn at the idea of list completions, speed records, etc., and it's a real turn-off when someone complains that a trail isn't super-awesome-steep-difficult-extreme-dangerous-blah,blah. But I don't have to click there either. I consider every inch of forest beautiful.

I think we should all be happy with our differences, and not be unhappy that others hike and post for different reasons.
I completely agree. I tend to yawn as well when someone brags at how much they care about the forest and how wrong is everything else in the world-blah, blah.

I post TR's because most of my hikes involve some type of disaster, death march or something out of the ordinary. If I hike with my children, they will do or say something "interesting" that I like to share.

I don't post TRs very often, but when I do, it's usually for some combination of the following:

1. I want to boast. "Hey! Look at me! I'm a strong hiker and a cool guy" (But all said with a veneer of modesty of course.)

2. I want to amuse. "Doh! I walked into a low-hanging branch again!"

3. I want to inform. "This is a really cool, less-traveled trail." "Watch out for the three-foot-deep muck holes in this section."

Bobby said:
I post TR's because most of my hikes involve some type of disaster, death march or something out of the ordinary. If I hike with my children, they will do or say something "interesting" that I like to share.

Bobby...we do kind of have a knack for that kind of hike - wanna do Howker again?

I simply do not read many of the insane accomplishment hikes - they make me think some hike with the kind of stress I reserve for work - if I find myself hiking only for the steepest, scariest stuff - or if speed becomes iimportant I will have to find myself a new hobby that is more relaxing...

I asked myself this question sometime ago.....

and decided that I couldn't really come up w/ a good reason why I posted TRs, so I quit. Now I no longer spent the drive home trying to come up w/ clever thoughts or a captivating way to express my time spent in the mts -(my TRs always seemed boring and self-inflating anyways...) It was so much easier to hike my hike and not share my day. I always felt extremely defensive about hiking my hike?? So now I just write in a journal and use the information for future reference.

But after reading many of these posts, I feel like I may start sharing some of my adventures again. The reason is because I greatly enjoy most of the other TRs that youall write so well. Besides providing information and ideas, they are a way to escape to the mts when physically bound to the flatlands.

Thanks to all that write and share the mountains!

Just read through the recent threads about posting TRs. I say we should all be encouraged to write TRs, knowing that not everyone will appreciate it but many will, especially those with similar personalities. I've been encouraged to read them more. VFTT is for sharing relevant info among hikers.

Happy Trails :)

forestgnome said:
I post TRs to share my experiences with anyone who cares.....I know my experiences with moose and plants will get yawns from most....

I'm very glad you post your TRs and even happier that you share your wonderful photos. I've learned the names of some plants that I've observed while hiking as a result of your TRs. Yeah, I know I could look them up in a book, but it's more fun to read your TRs and look at your photos and go, "Oh, so that's what that is." I also have to admit that I've seen more moose in your pictures than I've actually seen in real life since moving up here. I think I know why: the moose have figured out where you hike and now they're all lining up waiting for you to take their photo! :D

Thanks, Roxi! Happy to share.

I kinda feel bad about the wording of that post. I don't really yawn at retelling of list completions. That's not acurate. I just really have a non-reaction, and nothing at all negative. I know lots of folks are excited to share the thrill of accomplishing a goal and I hope I didn't insult anyone. I just feel defensive when someone complains about hiking to Owl's Head or that it's a boring mountain. Sometimes people insult the White Mountains because they are "over used" or "over developed" or not as extreme as other mountains, and I don't understand why anyone would hike here if they don't have to, and then complain about it on a website for enthusiasts. But, I'll just try to let it roll!

Anyway, everyone should be encouraged to post TRs in their own style, retelling the story, because a trail is never the same twice.

The truth is: writing trip reports is a sinful exercise in shameless self-aggrandizement. Wasting one's energies on catchy quips and smart observations when one is really scrounging for green squares is a sad testament to the forest that envelops and protects us when we set about conquering a peak list.

Unnh, did I really say that? Sorry, must be the meds. Either that or Homer Simpson controls my keyboard. :D

Bushwhacking anyone?

forestgnome said:
Anyway, everyone should be encouraged to post TRs in their own style, retelling the story, because a trail is never the same twice.

You got it! I believe that each trip report is a look inside the writer. It's not easy putting your feelings out there for the world to see, and I give a lot of credit to those who post TR's. I look forward to Forestgnomes pictures, and I thought Roxi's awesome post on her 48th NH 4K at Wildcat should have been picked up by print media (Hello...Alpinista). Keep the TR's coming!

posted my first one, wrote in the Perch register, and my entry ended up being more than the standard type of "we took x trail, weather was x", so I decided to write an entry of similiar content on both the tr section here, and my myspace blog (copy/paste) which I also don't post to very often. Guess I was inspired.