Into the Wild yet anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old thread but I felt like putting my thought in. The book was good but the movie was better and that's not the norm. Opinions are great because every one has their own. People agree on things but everyone feels different about why they agree and you can't change that. Alex did something he chose to do. There are people all around this world who would of loved to see what Alex had seen and do what Alex had done. My opinion is he is not a hero and I wouldn't say he was mental I think he was living his life to the fullest doing what he wanted to do not being told what to do like we are today. He had other options and means to do what he did but chose to do it the way he wanted. I feel most for his family because family are the most important in life. Why he didn't get in touch with them in his travels is because of his age maybe. Just think wether it was for a day or week sometime in your life you most of felt you didn't need anyone. Everyone has dreams and I believe he lived his.

I can't imagine Redford and Newman doing "Walk in the Woods" but anyway...

I liked the book and love the movie. I thought that Krakauer's account was interesting, but Penn has such a great understanding for the human condition and is a great storyteller. I can (vaguely) remember being in my 20s and having all of that angst and uncertainty about the world. I can totally relate to wanting to just step out of it for a while, which I think is what Chris intended. As others have said, unless someone has never made a mistake because of not thinking something through completely, how can we really criticize?

This may sound odd, but I had an idea for casting an AWITW movie:

As Katz: Tom Hayden Church
And as Bryson: Michael Moore

:)

Not to add another opinion about the book or movie, (read the book about two years ago, just saw the movie on DVD. The movie does have alot of people buzzing.) so lets discuss those boots he was given just before he walked out into the Alaskan wilderness. http://www.xtratufboots.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

I was in Alaska in this past May on a birding trip to the Pribilov Islands. The guides and other birders (coming from Anchorage and Fairbanks) had these boots. They swore by them. I think they may be the state boot of Alaska (Happy 50th statehood aniversary BTW) Warm, dry and comfortable. After all McCandless did not die of cold feet.

Puck said:
Not to add another opinion about the book or movie, (read the book about two years ago, just saw the movie on DVD. The movie does have alot of people buzzing.) so lets discuss those boots he was given just before he walked out into the Alaskan wilderness. http://www.xtratufboots.com/product_info.php?products_id=76

I was in Alaska in this past May on a birding trip to the Pribilov Islands. The guides and other birders (coming from Anchorage and Fairbanks) had these boots. They swore by them. I think they may be the state boot of Alaska (Happy 50th statehood aniversary BTW) Warm, dry and comfortable. After all McCandless did not die of cold feet.
I've worn out a few pairs of those boots. They do keep your feet very dry from snow, mud, muck, etc. But, your feet sweat in them as they don't breath.

But ... Sorels are warmer and more stable as they have a wider, deeper tread. Once I bought a pair of Sorels, I never went back. I do have a version of the above for quick slip-ons - Wellies, made famous by the Brits.

Puck said:

Yep, there's a pair here, plus a lace-up version that LaCrosse used to sell. The Xtratuf pull-on version are known colloquially as "Southeast sneakers" and are de rigeur in that part of Alaska. (Schools in that besprent province used to declare "sun days" and close on those rare occasions when El Sol appeared.) Norwegians are fond of similar boots, for similar reasons.

I have a pair of Xtratuf boots and they work well around Penobscott Bay, too. I also have an ExtraTuf pencil holder at my desk and people seem to take fewer pencils from it than when I had a pretty little pencil cup.

Just got the book. 4/5 of the way through.

Borderline mental illness and borderline boring book, make that boring. The story isn't newsworthy. I think Krakauer is a good writer but he chose a lousy subject and beat on it and beat on it.

Neil said:
Just got the book. 4/5 of the way through.

Borderline mental illness and borderline boring book, make that boring. The story isn't newsworthy. I think Krakauer is a good writer but he chose a lousy subject and beat on it and beat on it.

I recently finished the book too. I actually thought it was not that bad....not great mind you, but interesting enough. However, I do agree with you about him having mental issues. He got peeved at his dad because he found out daddy was not perfect....ummmm, who IS perfect (well, I am, but thats a whole different story :D ). I think this guy just got too caught up in an idealized world that did not exist except in the writings of some authors who, ironically, turned out to be the polar opposites of what they penned!

Brian

Maybe it's because I love everything (almost) about Alaska, but I thought the book was great, and the movie merely average.

Well...

Once again, i thought it was an excellent book, movie not as good.

FWIW, i thought the tragedy was somewhat timeless and universal:

Young man thinks he's alone in the world and as such suspects/hopes maybe God is nature. So, he shuns people and retreats to nature to find the meaning of life. Sadly, he comes to realize (too late for him unfortunately) that nature is cruel and people, esp. family/loved ones are what matter most, to him...

I don't think you can categorically say he was a 'mentally ill' loser. His dad was portrayed as a SOB and obviously impacted him in a huge (negative) way, while he was young and impressionable. But, maybe i just empathize with him more than most.

All depends on where you're coming from, I guess...