Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I can confirm today that Blair Bridge over the Pemi in Campton is still there but sustained some damage from river debris.

Thanks, TDawg. How are things in your neck of the woods today? We were spared any damage to our home, but have loved ones in NY that are seriously flooded.

Last edited:
Bretton Woods is open and reporting that they are accessible from the west. NHDOT now reporting the north end of the Route 302 closure is the Willey Station Road (aka Ethan Pond Trail parking).

Bretton Woods is open and reporting that they are accessible from the west. NHDOT now reporting the north end of the Route 302 closure is the Willey Station Road (aka Ethan Pond Trail parking).
Guess they must have moved the roadblock down the road a bit, which is good news. I was just on Rt 302 less than an hour ago, and at that time the road block was set up just opposite Elephant Head at the top of the Notch (snapshot below).
P1040730.JPG

I want to recognize what a big help Trish is being today. Saved me much driving only to find the roads to Mt Cardigan were closed anyway.

Craig --

The route to the AMC Cardigan Lodge (Mount Cardigan Road to Shem Valley Road) is open.

There's some minor erosion on parts of the road (beginning just before the farm with the Highland cattle), but everything is marked with orange cones, etc. Two areas on Shem Valley Road that were washed out yesterday have been quickly patched (with new culverts) by town road crews, so the road is in decent shape. Two large blowdowns on the road near the lodge were cut and cleared by the town, too.

While at the lodge, I met a couple who had just come down from the mountain -- up Holt Trail, down Clark/Cathedral Forest/Holt. Trails are very wet, with a bit of erosion but nothing out of the ordinary given the amount of precipitation from yesterday. There is some debris here and there, but the only blowdown is the one from last week's storm -- on the Holt Trail on the lodge side of the Croo Bridge.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks, TDawg. How are things in your neck of the woods today? We were spared any damage to our home, but have loved ones in NY that are seriously flooded.

Nothing bad in my immediate area though driving around I saw some folks on Rt. 49 with some property damage. The road is still closed after Burbank Hill road at the bridge. Rt. 3 up the street from me flooded at Exit 29, the road shoulder was a little washed at the Rt. 49 Pemi bridge, Blair Bridge was damaged, and the Country Cow Restaurant was flooded.

The Holderness side of route 175A near the PSU field house is flooded under several feet of water. Which I've seen before it was just in the spring of '02 I think.

Optimistic message

This is from the Union Leader
------
CONCORD - Gov. John Lynch said Monday he expects key tourist routes closed by hurricane damage to be open in time for Labor Day weekend.

“My expectation is that everything will be taken care of this weekend, and we’ll be open for business. We want tourists to come and enjoy themselves just like they always have been able to,” Lynch said.

Repairs will be needed to reopen Route 302 and the Kancamagus Highway, both east-west roads that pass through some of the state’s most scenic mountain areas.

Efforts to restore power are moving along well in some areas, but the Connecticut and Merrimack rivers continue to rise.

- Tom Fahey, State House Bureau Chief
-------------------------------

What happened to 4-6 weeks? Can governors will the roads open? Can they just pile gravel in the holes?

This is from the Union Leader
------
CONCORD - Gov. John Lynch said Monday he expects key tourist routes closed by hurricane damage to be open in time for Labor Day weekend.

“My expectation is that everything will be taken care of this weekend, and we’ll be open for business. We want tourists to come and enjoy themselves just like they always have been able to,” Lynch said.

Repairs will be needed to reopen Route 302 and the Kancamagus Highway, both east-west roads that pass through some of the state’s most scenic mountain areas.

Efforts to restore power are moving along well in some areas, but the Connecticut and Merrimack rivers continue to rise.

- Tom Fahey, State House Bureau Chief
-------------------------------

What happened to 4-6 weeks? Can governors will the roads open? Can they just pile gravel in the holes?
This is in sync with what I was told by the foreman I spoke with at the roadblock at the top of Crawford Notch this morning. He said they hoped to have the road reopened in less than a week.
Hmmm! Time will tell!;)

Some roads will take months (Rte.135 is still one-lane N of Littleton from previous storm) or even forever (like one culvert in Alstead that was permanently discontinued after big flood) but the high priority ones will open before Labor Day

Yes, temporary repairs are little more than just dumping gravel over necessary culverts, permanent repairs will wait until next year

Anyone know if the new bridges on S Gale River Rd survived?

They were still closed last time I drove by in July, but the WMNF status page says the repairs were complete 8/1. Did they make it through this, or do we wait another 3 years?

They were still closed last time I drove by in July, but the WMNF status page says the repairs were complete 8/1. Did they make it through this, or do we wait another 3 years?

Drove over them last weekend when we went to Garfield TH. I hope they made it, they looked really nice and shiny new :(

Brody: It was Ben Gardner's boat. It was all chewed up. I helped tow it in. You should have seen it.
Vaughn: Where, where is that tooth? Did you see it, Brody?...[To Hooper] And what did you say the name of this shark is?
Hooper: Carcaradon carcharias. A Great White.
Vaughn: But you don't have the tooth. Look, we depend on the summer people here for our very lives.
Hooper: You are not going to have a summer unless you deal with this problem.
Vaughn: And if you close those beaches, we're finished.

Lynch is in the same boat as Vaughn was (pun very much intended)

Tim

Last edited:
From the Conway Daily Sun:

Tropical Storm Irene destroyed a portion of Route 302 in Hart's Location, which could be closed for weeks accoridng to New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials.

8-29_front_RGB_for_web_1.jpg

FYI, WMNF Road status' have been updated. Not sure why some are listed as open when the forest is still technically closed.

Last edited:
The governor of NH stated yesterday that all major highways would be repaired by this upcoming weekend.

I expect some of the repairs will be temporary, probably a few Bailey Bridges. I would strongly urge folks to plan on using the I-93, Rt 3 option for accessing the whites as RT 16 and Rt 302 will inevitably have some significant traffic backups at whatever temporary repairs are made.

Gale River Road was *not* listed on the WMNF list of closed roads that came out this morning.

From the Conway Daily Sun:

8-29_front_RGB_for_web_1.jpg

Oooh! That's not bad at all! That's not bridge, that's approach. The water got behind the abutment (end of the bridge) and washed out under the roadway. Assuming the abutment did not move and the rest of the bridge is in good shape (likely, given everyone's walking on it), this could be as easy as driving sheet piling, backfilling, casting a new approach slab, and paving it.

Maine Labor Day Weekend - Info needed

We are headed to Maine this weekend, Rangeley.

Planning on hiking the following:

Bigelow's via the Stratton Brook Pond trail head
Saddleback and The Horn via the ski slope
Abraham via the Fire Warden's Trail

Does anyone have any info on the road/trail condition in that area??

I know that there are two bridges out in Kingfield. That should not pose a problem for us for Saddleback and The Horn, since we will come into Saddleback Ski area from Rangeley.

What about for the Bigelow's?? Can I get to the trailhead via 16 through Stratton??

I spoke to the rangers at Rangeley State Park and their area is fine and the state park is open.

Thanks in advance for any info. and/or suggestions.

Cindy & Brian

Last edited: