Jefferson via Castle Ravine Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillian

Reaction score
Exeter, NH; Avatar: Carrauntoohill, Co. Kerry, Ire
The weather was looking ominous for Sunday up on the presies - calling for possible thunders storms but as it was "all up in the air" and still a good chance of it being decent conditions we decided to check out the ravine.

Giggy, Dr. Wu, Mtnpa, MichaelJ, 74Red, Ferrisjrf and myself started out on the pleasant gradual climb up the Castle Trail. The first stream wasn't bad at all but the next 23 billion after that would have their tricky moments. However, we all made it across them safely enough, some with drier feet than others.

Soon we hit the Castle Ravine trail - the woods were really very beautiful as always, lush and green, with interesting twists and turns. I was pleasantly surprised when we hit the headwall and started out above the trees how dry the rocks were. There was a slight warm wind blowing but nothing too crazy and soon we were all climbing and scrambling over the rocks, gaining elevation quickly up this fun steep section. We had plenty of views as we climbed towards Edmonds Col but the clouds were moving in fast and in some parts of the valley we could see driving sheets of rain. Soon we were in its path and were treated to some "lovely" pelting hail. Dropping my pack I got on my fleece and shell ready to protect myself against the elements when no sooner had I done so, it abruptly stopped, the clouds moved out and the sun was shining. At the Col we enjoyed a nice long break under blue skies and some interesting conversation regarding the mountains of Scotland and even more interesting conversation regarding the native animals of those “wee hills”.

We enjoyed stunning views for our hike to the summit of Jefferson but on reaching the top there was no dilly dallying as we heard boomers in the distance. After descending we took the Randolph Path trail skirting the side of Adams and headed down the Israel Ridge trail. Apart from another dose of hail, which then turned to rain, it was a pleasant hike down. I’m a fan of this trail, which has good footing for the most past, and we lost a lot of elevation relatively quickly. Soon the weather changed again and we were treated to sunny skies for our hike out.

Great day out!!! Thanks everyone for a fun day with good laughs along the way.

Last edited:
This was an absolutely amazing day. The whole area is beautiful... the old, mossy would below the headwall were quite stunning (as is the woods on the Israel Ridge Trail and the awesome cascades). Climbing the headwall was wicked fun! The elements only added to the adventure. Good that we avoided the boomers though. Conversation was great. Company was great! Glad I got to share some of my beers with the folks. Also, on such a fabulous day we didn't see a single person... they really missed out. The previous evening people were discussing the weather for Sunday and worrying about the potential cold, bad weather and I had to agree with JF when he said, "sounds good to me!" -- perfect day.

Thanks guys!

-Dr. Wu

Sounds awesome...pictures anywhere (I LOVE pictures)

Hubby and I have drooled over this, king's ravine, and Tuckerman's trails for quite some time...we want to do these this summer (hopefullY).

You can lead a sheep to water, but...

Totally agree about the section before the headwall. Old mystical place.
Felt like a place that hasn't change much in the past million years :cool:

dr_wu002 said:
The previous evening people were discussing the weather for Sunday and worrying about the potential cold, bad weather and I had to agree with JF when he said, "sounds good to me!" -- perfect day.

Blue skies are overrated. The weather Sunday only made for a more interesting walk. Made it less attractive to mosey on over to Adams after we got to Jefferson, but no complaints here.

mtnpa said:
You can lead a sheep to water, but...

...you can't make him like it.

Good to get up to the Prezzies again with everyone...and without the need for a 30+ pound pack...nice.

My pics are here. If you're philosophically opposed to Snapfish accounts, you can use one of my 20 "nonexistent accounts" - username: [email protected]; password: 1person.

I agree, this was really an amazing day. Coming up through Castle Ravine was like nothing else I've done in the Whites, and I can't wait to explore the other ravines in that area. It was just such fun to climb up that headwall!

The weather made for such excitement on this hike: sun to start, rain and hail on the headwall, sun in Edmand's Col, dark clouds and booming thunder on Jefferson, hail up on top of Israel Ridge, rain below, a finish in warm sun, then driving home through another storm. It all timed out remarkably well for us, actually - we got below treeline just as the high winds kicked in.

The company was great, too - it was a real pleasure to hike with this group. I had to push myself a bit, but that's okay. :) We hit the trail at 8:10, popped out of the trees around 10:45, took an hour to climb the headwall then stopped for lunch, passed through Edmand's Col at 12:15, tagged the Jefferson summit a half-hour later, and got back to the cars at 4:10.

I've got my photo album posted, including two videos on the last page.

Thanks for an awesome hike!

very fun hike - this was the final "major" pressie ravine hike (via a trail) for me that I hadn't done. Over the years - castle ravine has escaped me for whatever reason. I had been castleated ridge and israel ridge on both sides but never right up the middle and I think now that I have hiked every possible trail to the summit - This might be the best one.

Very similar in nature to king ravine and some really nice sights.

Its always fun with a fun group as well.

after somewhere around 15 or so jefferson ascents now, that summit simply never gets old - so nice - and I hope I am around for another 15.

One of the few TR or even conditions for Castle Ravine I've ever seen If time allows, I may try Castle Ravine or GG in July. Both have been on a long wish list for a long time....

I've done this a few times now, and I always enjoy the hike and rarely see anyone else on the trail.

Now I'm jealous.I have eyeballing that trail for a couple months now.Maybe I can bribe you guys into a return trip,I'll carry the keg.

Hey, that'll get me back! Ah, who am I kidding - I don't need a bribe to repeat this route. However, better weather would be a plus ... it would be great to come back via Adams and maybe Madison.

I have yet to do any of the northern pressies and have decided to make this route my first trip up there after reading this.
Looking at the dozens of trails on the north side has always seemed like a bewildering crapshoot. Thanks for narrowing it down.... hopefully later this summer.