Katahdin! or A Walk in the Park -- 3/10/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
On Friday, Giggy and I played hooky (not hockey) and went on a roadtrip up to Millinocket. At the motel, we saw and talked to John Swanson for a bit before we met up with Spencer, Hiker Ned, Nadine, and Mike for dinner and brews before hittin' the sack. We actually managed to get a decent amount of sleep before we met up with the group at 4:30am on Saturday.

The group of nine of us loaded up and headed off on the Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion). While Giggy and I didn't see that girl barefootin' along,
whistlin' and singin', we did see a couple of deer as we were getting our gear together at the trailhead, so that was pretty cool. We headed off on the trail and we got our first view of Katahdin in the early morning light as we passed by the stream. Very cool. A little under two miles later, we hit the tote road. It's kinda funny, I was in there on that road in July and I didn't notice the road all that much now, as we were hiking on it, I became aware of how rolling and hilly it is in the winter. The going was very good so far as the initial trail was also used for xc skiers and the road is packed by snowmobiles. After 3.5 miles on the tote road, we reached Abol Campground. There, some people ditched some stuff and we put on snowshoes.

We snowshoes to the base of the slide and then stashed our snowshoes as the slide is so steep that not a lot of snow accumulates on it. It mostly bare rock and ice. We saw the snowshoes of other parties there as well as some of their helmets (BSP requires you to bring a helmet when climbing the slide in winter). Up we went, amazed at how blue the sky was, considering rain was in the forecast and we weren't sure we'd get anything for views. Looking up to the tableland, I was really impressed with the steepness and I was really having a good time climbing it. Unfortunately, Mike was not. He had been fighting something, taking antibiotics for a week, and he was sapped of all energy. We tried slowing the pace for him and letting him set the pace, but he was spent. Wisely, he made the decision to turn back and Nadine went with him.

The rest of us continued on, enjoying the bright sunshine and stripping off layers as we went. It really felt like it was May, not March. The top of the slide was the trickiest area and I bumped my head though no further damage was done. it was a fun scramble and provided a good challenge. When we topped out, we were at Thoreau Spring and were 1mi from Baxter peak. It was windier there, though Spencer measured it and it was only sustained at about 22mph. Partway to Baxter Peak, we came across John Swanson and his group and chatted a bit and congradulated him on his accomplishment. Then, we continued on,carefully avoiding the iciest spots and trying to stay on the trail, which was a little hard to follow. The cairns aren't as plentiful as perhaps they ought to be and this would really pose a problem in conditions with low visability.

We reached the summit and saw another group there. They soon took off and we took pictures, ate snacks, and admired the view. it was truly amazing, some of the most incredible sights I've seen in winter. This place is special enough in the summer to be moving but in winter... amazing. Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera kept dying throughout the day and I would need to breath life back onto them to take a picture, so I didn't get that many. Sadly, I didn't get Spencer's Superman impersonation. :( Still, the views of the Knife's Edge and surrounding peaks was simply incredible. We enjoyed our break there but we then we had to head down. We had originally planned to do Hamlin Peak as well, but delays earlier in the day took that option off the table. Normally, I would have been upset with leaving a "straggler peak" but, the rewards that came with getting to Baxter Peak were so great, I couldn't possibly be disappointed with them!

The way back across the tablelands was windier. It had picked up to over 40mph. Going back down the slide was trickier than the way up had been as ice and mush on the steep terrain and, at times, loose rocks many the scrambling parts dicey and the other parts have questionable footing. Still, it was good and we reached our snowshoes without incident. From there, we looked up and saw the dark clouds starting to move in. The hike back to the campground and out on the road and other trail were uneventful, aside from the fact that near the campground it started to rain lightly.

Back at the cars, we found that it took us about 12hrs (including breaks) to go the 17mi. It was a great day to be up there and it was a hike I know none of us will soon forget.

Here are some pics.

Sorry you couldn't join us, Woody.

Nice report, Ross.

By the way, Joleen was with us, not Nadine. Although I suspect Nadine wishes she had been there (she's another K nut, like me).

It was indeed a fine day. I couldn't get over how lucky we were with weather. We almost canceled the trip due to wintry mix forecast but figured we'd give it a whirl and we were justly rewarded.

Thanks for a fine day!

Spencer

I believe this is the first year baxter is allowing one day climbs.

I think (and the baxter experts can fill in gaps here) the total vertical was around 4600-4700. Most of that is from the abol camp to the top of the slide (tablelands) which rises (and I am guessing here) about 3900 in less than 3 miles). The slide is steep, but the footing is great - I would say it - at no time is more than class 2. In fact, anyone going to climb Rainier via the DC - this would be a great practice climb for the rock portion- the slide is about as close as I have seen (along with great gulf headwall & lincoln slide) (not that I have been everywhere in the NE) for that type of terrain - loose rock, mixed with ice, snow. - but to get the full training effect, you would have to put your crampons on while climbing and downclimbing the rock :eek: dangerous, but its a good skill to have when speed is safety.

We had great conditions so it was very doable as a day trip. If we had to break trail to the slide, or if conditions were not less than marginal, it could be a real tough day out.

its not as bad as one would think a 17 mile day would be. At least half of those miles are on a snowmobile track. (tote road, etc.) Its a long day, but doable for solid winter hikers that have a couple pressies in the winter under their belt. Your above treeline for a while. Certainlly a challenge though. real fun alpine stuff.

The only complaint I have is nobody would go to La casa with me :( :( :D :p :eek:
Nice report Ross - always fun hiking with you, spencer, dave, etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: MEB
I can see the first picture and scroll through the thumbnails but can't bring up the other pictures full size.

Great trip report, and great pics (I had no trouble viewing them at this time).
I've never done Katahdin in the winter! Looks fun. :)

Awesome

Double Bow said:
Back at the cars, we found that it took us about 12hrs (including breaks) to go the 17mi. It was a great day to be up there and it was a hike I know none of us will soon forget.

Here are some pics.

I really like your report and that is a good time for the distance and type of terrain you guys had to deal with!

Tuco said:
I can see the first picture and scroll through the thumbnails but can't bring up the other pictures full size.

Ditto! :( Tried viewing via AOL and IE but no luck!

What an awesome hike, It was a nice day for the views too. I couldn't quite see Katahdin from Sugarloaf that day. I would have waved if I knew you guys were going that day :)

Can't wait to finish the NEHH in May on Baxter :)