Looking for an external "pouch"?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
At my AMC hiking/camping workshop last Tuesday, an instructor showed us several stuff sacks we can use for (color coding) items in our packs. One handy item seemed to be a small, external pouch attachable to the hip belt where one can store gorp or other snacks. I've looked around online and at stores and other than fanny packs, I can't seem to find this "snack" pouch? I realize that continual refueling (eating) is very important while hiking especially in the winter where frequent stops are inadvisable so this pouch would be so handy!!

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks!

Dana used to make a 'pouch' called a Wet Rib which attached to the shoulder strap of your pack. Since the company has been sold and changed its product line, I'm not sure if it's still available, but it's the best handy 'pouch' I've ever seen. It has a zipper on one side of the pouch and a pocket for carrying a 1/2 liter bottle of drink/GORP/whatever.

(Edit:) Just did a Google search, and apparently it's still available at outfitters like this. They used to make a left and right, if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited:
I have this one. Works pretty good, as long as you remember to zip up the zipper. If not, your stuff could fall out! Belt Pouch

Although this works quite well, I generally prefer a small fanny pack with multiple compartments. It is just a bit easier to organize you small stuff.

Regards,
Marty

I bought several small stuff sacks at EMS. One small and one medium. I sewed a piece of webbing to each pouch so that I can clip the pouch to my pack with a carabiner. That way, I can reach inside the pouch without having to stop or remove my pack. I find that I eat more than if my snacks were inside my pack. I use the small one in the summer and the medium one in the winter.

I use a "belly-pack", which of course is a fanny pack worn with the pack in front. Gorp, map, compass, batteries, map, camera, Swiss army knife etc, plus a bit of room for things like light mittens.

Last edited:
Now don't laugh....but this works great.
It is intended for dog treats or ball but....it works great for gorp, etc.
It's cheap, durable, clips on belt and is a perfect lightweight size.

http://www.buyoutwardhound.com/kj-00578.html

You can find them at certain dog stores but call first because not all carry them.

Outdoor Research (aka OR) makes various cube sized pouches in different colors. If they have a webbing loop on the back, you can see if you can slide your hipbelt in them or perhaps your sternum strap which is typically thinner.

Also, some people just hang a small nalgene-like container from their belt or 'biner...

Jay

Wow! Amazing Feedback!!

Wow, you guys are great with all this feedback and suggestions including product links! Now I am sort of back where I started as I now have so many options!! :D

This is a great forum with very helpful members indeed!!

(For my purposes, I am inclined to get the smallest & lightest of pouches for the least amount of burden on my waist).

Thanks again!

Or, you can just get pants that have huge pockets! The ones I have now are big enough to carry a 32 oz Nalgene bottle in the top pockets, and lots of food in the bottom pockets, to say nothing of the back pockets, which I never use, because I would end up sitting on something! :D