Lost my Osprey swith back pack and all my winter gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
Today after my hike of Munroe and Eisenhower I let my pack and my MSR
snowshoes on the side of the Cog Rail near the sigh for Clinton-Jefferson Road. Went I return with my van my pack and all my winter gear + other
stuff (digital camera,bivy,clothes,head lamps....) was not their.

If someone find the pack or know the person who took it let me know.

Rejean, that's awful news. Sorry you lost your stuff. Maybe I'm a little cynical from having grown up in a crime-ridden slum, but I don't think you'll be getting your stuff back. Someone out there please give this man his gear back and prove me wrong.

Once again, sorry for the tough news. I always enjoy your trip reports. Good luck.

If you haven't done so, contact the AMC Highland Center at (603) 278-HIKE and the Mount Washington Cog Railway at 800-922-8825 or 603-278-5404. These are two of the most likely places for someone to have turned in your equipment.

That is bad news, and a bummer of a way to end what sounded like a good day of hiking from your trip report. Best of luck.

That's really lame if someone took it. I always figured hikers were more considerate than that. Maybe someone thought it was lost and turned it in at the nearest AMC, Ranger station, etc.

report to police

I'd call and make a report to the local police. I had a friend who's backpack was stolen on the side of the Long Trail. He called police and did get it back. Kids!

Hope you get it returned.

sardog1 said:
If you haven't done so, contact the AMC Highland Center at (603) 278-HIKE and the Mount Washington Cog Railway at 800-922-8825 or 603-278-5404. These are two of the most likely places for someone to have turned in your equipment.
I agree with this. It is possible that someone picked it up thinking it had been left there. I witnessed a similar event once where a FS employee drove by and saw a pack someone had left by the side of the road. Fortunately I had seen the person drop it off on the way to a car-spot and the problem was avoided.
I hope all your gear is returned. I can't imagine having to replace everything.

Sorry to hear about your pack & gear being taken; hopefully, somebody turned it in somewhere. Sure would be a major bummer to lose all your stuff. Good luck getting it back.

I don't know if you have house insurance but they did cover my mountain bike when it was stolen off the rail trail in Western MA.
I have the kind of insurance that covers stolen property as if it was new and they would have liked the sales slip but did not require it. I think I had to pay a deductible but I don't remember for sure. They did require a police report.
Best of luck. This is not good news.

Maddy said:
I have the kind of insurance that covers stolen property as if it was new and they would have liked the sales slip but did not require it. I think I had to pay a deductible but I don't remember for sure.

This is known as "replacement cost", as compared to "actual value" (cost less depreciation). You pay a little more and/or accept a higher deductible for the former. The latter is expected to be what you'd get for the item should you sell it.

Tim

Home Owners Insur

For what it's worth. I had put in three home owners insur claims over the course of 15 yrs. One of which was not covered by insur, the other two paid out. However, this year the insurance company would not renew my policy, labeled as a high risk. Quess what, now I'm put in a high risk catagory and pay a higher premium at a different insur company. Just food for thought before submitting claims.

lost pack

Rejean- that is really f....d. You can not count on honesty. I know that this is shutting the barn door after the cow got out- but if you must leave a pack some where- hide it off in the woods (or rocks...etc.) well. I do not believe someone just thought that it had been left behind. There are some low life jerks who lurk around robbing people's gear at trailheads and handy camping spots. I know- I've been robbed (South Meadows in the Adirondacks- well known problem spot- and this was in like Jan or Feb in th emiddle of the night). Man- that just blows.

Thanks everybody for the advice, I made my mind that my hiking gear
is now lost for ever. I contact my home insurance and I am covered, but
I will have to assume my deductible. I also contact the state police of NH
to obtain a police report, nobody return the pack (cog station,AMC or
the ranger).

Today I went shoping to replace my winter gear, it is just hard to find the
same gear. I try one Osprey switch back 55 + 12 and I went close to buy
it, at the last minute I changed my mind (bad memories) and I don't buy it.

For the following month I will hike with the others packsack that I had.

It sucks to replace gear that you've used a lot. Sometimes I find though, after I've used a new piece of gear for a few months and gotten used to it, that it's much better than my old gear. I wonder how I got along without it.

Just to be on the upbeat side, a certain well-known hiker (not me) was in a hurry loading car after winter hike with family, thought somebody else had put his pack in but they didn't. Next weekend couldn't find pack and figured out where it must be, drove back, found it, and hiked that day with contents.

Note that this was an active log yard not a regular trailhead, the loggers had moved pack aside and left it rather than turning it in.