Madison via Airline w/kids for FOT48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimom

Reaction score

Headed up Airline on Saturday with Sean and Emily hoping to get to the summit of Madison for Flags. After getting a later start than planned, I resigned myself to just seeing the flags on Madison and Adams from the ridge, but I was surprised and happy that we actually made it to summit with a half hour to spare, even after stop at the hut, which is mandatory when you’re hiking with kids. :D

Airline is an awesome trail. Good footing and steady, but not too steep up on some rock steps. We really enjoyed heading up that way and coming out of treeline on the ridge, checking out King Ravine (looking for Leaf, but didn’t see her) and got some good views of Adams, Madison, and the valley.

Beautiful day out. Lots of people on the trail and a great day for FOT48. Kinda bummed not to be able to see the summit of Washington, but oh well, maybe next time.

We hung out on the summit with a great group of friends. Then headed down Valley Way and over to Mr. Pizza where everyone was patiently waiting with saved pizza for us. Thanks!!

Great hike with the kids and their first pressie! I’m very proud of them.

Here are just a few shots. There are a few closeup shots… Emily took those :eek:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567013379aWxura

Hey Dani, give the kiddies a great big congratulations for me. Hike well done. I can see why you're proud of them.

Too bad you couldn't see Mt Washington. Mike, Ginny and I hung a flag there.

Congratulations Emily and Sean! It was fun seeing you guys on Saturday. I got some good shots on the summit that I'll send you.

It was great meeting Emily and Sean! Those two were troopers, big time! Plus, kudos to Emily for not even flinching when I offered to trade her candy bar for a dried lizard. Great to see y'all at Mr. Pizza afterwards!

-Dr. Wu

Good job to the Kids. Its a tough hike and they did terrific. Emily was certainly ready for those chicken fingers at Mr. Pizza.

Looking forward to the pictures. I can't flip through until I get home.

Jen

Way to go Emily and Sean!
If I wasn't ditched by my so called "friends" I would have been there to share the fun! :D

7summits said:
If I wasn't ditched by my so called "friends" I would have been there to share the fun! :D

Your friends must really suck!!!! :D

If it makes you feel any better everyone asked where you were....and besides I doubt you whined nearly enough to be able to hang out with us on Saturday....

Glad to hear that their first big hike was a success ;) . We found that the clouds on Washington were slowly lifting around 1:30. We were afforded a few views of the observatory before we left Isolation. Glad you guys were able to stop by the KOA for a bit - it was great to see you again.

Awesome day, and the weather turned out better than expected. :) Emily and Sean did fantastic! That is a tough mountain for kids, but they did very well. It's awesome that you are giving them these experiences that will last a lifetime. That is what life is all about, experiences....

Thanks to all of you for joining us on the summit and for the hike down. Definitely a memorable day...

I posted my pictures here: FOT48 Madison

Dani, Glad you, Emily and Sean had such a nice time. What and impressive hike and an excellent day to enjoy the mountain and the tribute event! Those young mountaineers are apt to be taking you up something challenging your ability someday! ;)

I agree - great day, great experience! Talking with the kids made it all the better, and the look on Emily's face when I started getting up to grab some of her (chicken) fingers was AWESOME - wish I had a camera for that!! She was probably thinking back to the summit fight (that she of course won) for that Skor bar :D

emily should work for vogue as a photographer with those close ups. :eek:

the kids were real troopers! glad to be there for their first pressie!

good day with a good bunch of folks. :D
and extra glad to catch up with frodo and help carry the madison hut sewer line/musical instrument/spud gun/shower stall pipes down valley way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
donna said:
Hey Dani, give the kiddies a great big congratulations for me. Hike well done. I can see why you're proud of them.

Too bad you couldn't see Mt Washington. Mike, Ginny and I hung a flag there.
Will do! I let them read the thread and they are all smiles at everyone's kind words. You were with Mike and Ginny? mmmm... bet you guys had some great food over there! Would have been awesome to see the summit, maybe next time!
Juniper said:
Congratulations Emily and Sean! It was fun seeing you guys on Saturday. I got some good shots on the summit that I'll send you.
Cool!
dr_wu002 said:
It was great meeting Emily and Sean! Those two were troopers, big time! Plus, kudos to Emily for not even flinching when I offered to trade her candy bar for a dried lizard. Great to see y'all at Mr. Pizza afterwards!

-Dr. Wu
She's got two older brothers... takes a bit more than a dried lizard to horrify her :)
7summits said:
Who would dare ditch you, HuiYeng? Stupid friends! :eek:
Frodo said:
Awesome day, and the weather turned out better than expected. :) Emily and Sean did fantastic! That is a tough mountain for kids, but they did very well. It's awesome that you are giving them these experiences that will last a lifetime. That is what life is all about, experiences....

Thanks to all of you for joining us on the summit and for the hike down. Definitely a memorable day...

I posted my pictures here: FOT48 Madison
Frodo, Thanks for the flag and the experience. This is definitely one that the kids will be talking/bragging about at school.
Dave Bear said:
Dani, Glad you, Emily and Sean had such a nice time. What and impressive hike and an excellent day to enjoy the mountain and the tribute event! Those young mountaineers are apt to be taking you up something challenging your ability someday! ;)
I'm looking forward to it!!!
UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
I agree - great day, great experience! Talking with the kids made it all the better, and the look on Emily's face when I started getting up to grab some of her (chicken) fingers was AWESOME - wish I had a camera for that!! She was probably thinking back to the summit fight (that she of course won) for that Skor bar :D
oh, yeah, like I said, she's got two older brothers. She would have taken you on for that Skor bar... luckily, I brought two so she could share. Too bad you were so "ungrateful" HA !!! That was too funny!!
leaf said:
emily should work for vogue as a photographer with those close ups. :eek:

the kids were real troopers! glad to be there for their first pressie!

good day with a good bunch of folks. :D
and extra glad to catch up with frodo and help carry the madison hut sewer line/musical instrument/spud gun/shower stall pipes down valley way. :rolleyes:
Spud gun is my favorite one!

Awesome report but hay those kids are
really bagging some peaks.
I have got to get out there with them.
Sweet kids keep it up..I want you to take me
hiking with you someday. Please..please.