March 2nd Snowstorm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowed then stopped. Now snowing again. Coast Gaurd Base I work on is closed except for essential personnel. Sigh, medical personnel are essential personnel. Hopefully, I'll get cut loose early and be able to drive home. Cross counrty skiis are out and waiting for me.

As someone else mentioned, depending on where it's falling, snow can be a good thing or a bad thing. Right now here in the Syracuse area it's not snowing and that is a very good thing, indeed. And this storm isn't going to touch us at all. A very, VERY good thing.

teejay

It just started snowing in Thetford, VT.

Yeah, what a crappy storm. Though it should continue lightly the rest of the day, off and on.

We had a busy north wind last night, and when the precipitation was moving in, and the atmosphere was actually DRYING out, as opposed to moistening up, At that point, I knew we would get screwed out of heavy snow here. When it starts to snow aloft, the atmosphere usually moistens up. Not last night.

Probably caused by the gravity wave that moved thru southern New England this morning. Basically an area of very heavy snow, strong winds that's followed by a dry slot, which most of New England is in. Just north of these gravity waves, there is a very sharp cutoff in the precipitation. It most likely explains why the NE Lakes region got 2 inches and further east got 9.

If anybody is interested.....
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/GWave.htm

If you look at your home barometer, and you see a quick drop in pressure, then a quick rise, you probably went thru the gravity wave last night. Plus, the winds really pick up inside them, and the snow is extremely heavy. Interesting stuff.

Any chance some of the "locals" can post some results over the next day or so? I've got some time get over there later this week but have yet to pick a spot.

We got 9" of very light drifty stuff here for all those VFTS coastal hikers out there...:cool:

4-5" total here in Tamworth. Perhaps a few more inches over at Shawnee Peak in Maine tonight.

Livin' la vida loca here in SE NH. Had 15" the day that carole got her 18.5 (a nearby co-worker had 20), and now another 12 of lovely, lovely pow on top of that near-Slurpee left by last week's rain. Cold temps through the coming week, and the klister comes out of the car and is flung back into the dungeon.

:D :D :D

Only an inch or so at 600 ft in Thornton around 5 pm on Monday. But, hoping that the snowpack at higher elevations freezes up soon, as after the heavy rain on Friday, the pack appeared to have gone isothermal (rotten from top to base) for our Pemi ski-through on Saturday.

But, hoping that the snowpack at higher elevations freezes up soon, as after the heavy rain on Friday, the pack appeared to have gone isothermal (rotten from top to base) for our Pemi ski-through on Saturday.

Indeed. I was dropping about 18 inches without warning while snowshoeing on Saturday -- huge voids everywhere off the packed trails. Must have been pretty hard on the subnivean critters with all that rain percolating down to the bottom. Good news for us supernivean critters is that the resulting base might last longer as a result, now that it has turned colder again.

Things have settled to near-perfect conditions, best I think that I've seen for early March in SE NH in the eight winters that I've been here. Snowpack has firmed up nicely under the powder -- the undersized Malinois had little difficulty today in contrast with Saturday. Snowshoeing today was fabulosa.

(Downside with the deep stuff is that I'm tasked to break trail tomorrow with snowshoes once more, not skis, so that the Border Terrier can get back into the woods again.)

Ya, so I came home late saturday night, and was so happy to see all the snow in my yard melted.

Total accumulation in Waltham MA was about 8 inches.

Its wicked cold here so I think its planning to stick around.

Why can't it snow in the mountains but not in the city??

:p

The upside is that I'm spending the weekend at Sunday River...so, really can't complain!

Last edited: