Missing hiker with possible bad intent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx for the Head's Up..I was headed up to Hunt's tommorrow. Guess I'll be changing my plans unless this guy is found. I've had close encounters of the kind mentioned before in the woods and it's no fun :eek: !

Doesn't sound good at all, reminds of the book I am currently reading, The Last Season. I hope this guy is found quickly and given the proper help he needs.

This story is getting more bizarre.....it'll be interesting to see what happens :

Search for missing hiker suspended

CONCORD, N.H. - Fish and Game has suspended its search for a Maine man in the rugged wilderness near Mount Washington as police look into whether a suicide note he left might have been a hoax.
"That certainly is a theory that is out there," said Fish and Game Lt. Douglas Gralenski, who coordinated an intensive three-day ground and air search for Kevin Race, 46, of Woolwich.

Race was last seen hiking on Mount Washington on Sunday. He was reported overdue when he had not returned home by Monday. Authorities said he left a note at his home saying he was "looking for his final resting place."

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/015879.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This will become more interesting before it is resolved.

NH Fish and Game knows a little more than they are saying publicly, but they ARE sure that this man is well prepared for an extended wilderness stay, does not want to be found, and has the ways and means available to himself to melt into shadows and avoid detection.

There appears to be no present danger to others.

Breeze

It isn't very often you'll see every finger of SAR in the Presi's hold up their digits and backpedal on a missing person report.

My fervent hope is that no one comes across his carcass accidentally.

Breeze

Breeze said:
It isn't very often you'll see every finger of SAR in the Presi's hold up their digits and backpedal on a missing person report.
Breeze

That metaphor has my head spinning!

(it would beat tripping over an SAR volunteer who got injured or worse looking for him)

I sense a long, tedious Backpacker magazine article in the making.

SAR-EMT40 said:
Just in time to miss his court date. :rolleyes: Don't know for sure but it certainly sounds a little odd. Personally, my BS-o-meter is just about pegged off the scale.

Some information on the charges awaiting him.

YMMV,
Keith

Same here! Very fishy. Good info for us all to know. Until he is found, it would be wise to assume there is a bad guy in the area. Keith, would you please comment on the difference in operations b/w a SAR and a manhunt in the forest.

forestgnome said:
Same here! Very fishy. Good info for us all to know. Until he is found, it would be wise to assume there is a bad guy in the area. Keith, would you please comment on the difference in operations b/w a SAR and a manhunt in the forest.

The volunteer units (civilian dogs, ground pounders, mountain rescue, etc.) will not be employed in any attempt at criminal apprehension. Beyond that, I will refrain from commenting on techniques in any criminal case, for obvious reasons.

Most civilian SAR groups have policies regarding searches for suicidal and mentally altered individuals. Those procedures vary from group to group but in general they don't do it until the scene is secured. Fire departments and EMS also have policies in place and in our department it is usually LE and specific members that are involved in these types of searches. If a search is not needed then we will stage a distance away and wait for the police to secure the scene before we go in.

Actual searches for people that are not wanting to be found are done in a very specific way. I have only done a few searches like this as a member of the fire department but did many in the Army. Security for the tracking team is always the first order of business. These type of tracking teams in the military are pretty easy to spot because of the formation and the "tools" involved. The police model may sometimes follow the military model. This is no secret. What I won't talk about is how to evade these types of searches. :p :D You will have to learn that on some reality TV program which I am sure is in the works. :rolleyes:

Keith

forestgnome said:
The streets (and hills) are full of thieves, murderers, and other criminals who have simply never been caught. One more is probably not going to sway my choices of hiking too much. I'd bet that he merely faked being 'lost' out there, and is now long gone...

My guess is that either a) there is a chance he did set out to kill himself to avoid what he was facing or b) he faked it and isn't in that area any longer.

Either way, I don't think there's much reason in avoiding the area. I'm sure that if the authorities hear something that makes them think people are at risk, they'll let everyone know.

forestgnome said:

Based on experience, SAR operations don't usually have firearms, those involved in manhunts do.

Tom Rankin said:
The streets (and hills) are full of thieves, murderers, and other criminals who have simply never been caught. One more is probably not going to sway my choices of hiking too much. I'd bet that he merely faked being 'lost' out there, and is now long gone...

Same here. I won't worry too much about it, but it's better to know more than less. Nothing suggests that he is paricularly dangerous, and I'd also guess he is now far from the area. However, I tend to go places that might look suitable for a place to hide, such as the Bull Brook drainage area. This won't effect hiking planning, but it's just good to know what you can.

Happy Trails :)

When this post started I was expecting it to be out a robbed or murdered hiker - I was never too alarmed by this guy - and I figure he is long since gone...if his goal was to get people on a wild goose chase for the first few days of his escape so he could get further away he did a good job for himself...perhaps I am being naive, but I do not consider (from what little we actually know) this guy to be dangerous.