Moose rut and perfect weather on Mt. Chocorua, 11/18/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
What a wonderful experience in the mountains! I climbed Mt. Chocorua, but I won't mention the trail. The weather was sunny and mild.

rrutt.jpg

I left the trail about two miles in and bushwacked to an area where I'd seen lots of moose sign a few years ago. I was hoping, as always, to see moose and maybe get some nice photographs with some nice snow-dusted trees in the background. As I approached the area I heard a lots and noise. At least a couple moose were running around in circles, about a hundred feet ahead. This area is thick with striped maple and hobblebush, which is moose food.

As I slowly advanced as quietly as possible I started seeing moose. I saw a bull and a cow, all running around in circles. They were in a birch glade with chest-high hobble bush. Suddenly, I heard the clanking of antlers as two other bulls went at it, but I didn't even know they were there until I heard them. I could just see a few body parts of each bull through the trees. That makes three bulls and a cow!

Then the cow started baying as the bulls were clanking horns. I've heard cow make mating calls before, but they were always short bursts..."urt, urt, urt". The call of this cow moose went on for 10 seconds at a time, one after another. It was so wonderful to hear this and the clanking antlers at the same time.

I tried to get to the edge of the thick stuff I was in so I could get a clear view of them, but when I was about ten feet from the edge and I decided that I'd rather just experience this as long as it would last. If I could have been just 10' closer I could have gotten spectacular shots, because all this happened 60' to 80' away. I took a few shots through the trees, but they do this experience no justice.

Then one of the rutting bulls disengaged the other and started walking straight toward my position. He was browsing and came right to the edge, right where I was hoping to be. I think he caught a whiff of me because he just stared right at me. Great :( Now I was definitely going nowhere, in fact, I decided to not even fire a shot for fear of the sound of the shutter.

While that was happening a heard another moose approach from the west, making it's way toward the action. Meanwhile, the other moose started running around wildly in circles again. Now I noticed that there was another cow and another bull, which was probably a two year, judging by the size of his body and antlers. He and the two cows stayed together the whole time. I also noticed that the other rutting bull did not run around. He stood his ground. I decided he was the champion.

Then I noticed that the newcomer was a bull, and he went to the champion and they started rutting. Again, one of the cows was baying long and loud calls while the bulls clanked antlers. This time it went on for at least five minutes, until one bull retreated.

As that was happening, the bull who had me pinned down had turned back toward the rutting bulls. He then engaged the champion, but it only lasted about a minute. It was now clear to me that the champion was just that. He never left a ten foot radius, while for a third time all the others started running around in circles. This time, when they stopped running around the two cows and young bull, who were still together, stopped in about the same spot as the other bull who had me pinned down. Soon, one cow was staring right at me, and she knew there was someone present.

Again, one of the challengers engaged the champion for more rutting that lasted a few minutes until the challenger back off.

Here's the cow who finally busted me...
rut111807d.jpg

She wouldn't stop looking at me. I think she alerted the whole troupe to me presence because they all stopped at stood silent for a long time. There we all were, still and silent for at least 15 minutes. It was sunny and calm in that birch/hobblebush glade. Then the cow, with ears pinned, turned and trotted directly away from me and the whole troupe followed her, leaving only the champ, who eventually followed. That was special. :)

the champ...he looks old, and his right antler looks a bit tattered...
rut111807a.jpg

one of the challengers...
rut111807b.jpg

the young bull...
rut111807c.jpg

After they left, I went to check out the scene. Here's a nice look at a rutting field (or whatever it's called) It's a bout 20' across. The bull never left this pit as the challengers came and went, and the cows and young bull watched.

rut111807e.jpg

This event was very similar to the mock medieval joust I attended at King Richard's Faire just a few weeks ago, jousting knights, a champion, ladies looking on...very cool :)

continiued...

Last edited:
Back to the trail..

rut.jpg

Near the summit there's lots of ice on ledge.

coyotes were they only souls to walk this trail today...
rutd.jpg

squirrels and grouse?

rutf.jpg

good ole summit granite...
rute.jpg

a beautiful view to top off a wonderful day on Mt. Chocorua...
rutb.jpg

happy trails :)

What a beautiful experience. Forestgnome, you should change your name to DancesWithMoose.

Great hike, gnome! I want to immediatly head up from Blackey's Flats...

Excellent report and pics! What a treat to see all that. Had a cow step out, followed closely by a bull, last Wednesday at sunrise. She watched me for a while and continued on her way when I turned to leave. He was oblivious to my presence. Saw a cow again, probably the same one, at exact same spot on Friday at sunset. She glanced behind her -- he was probably there again.

Very nice telling of events and pics. I have several times come across what I call the 'dance floor' of deer. This gives a better perspective of what was going on.

Very nice,
Excellent observations of how everything is all played out in the world of mooses...

wow....thank you so much for sharing that. I really appreciate the skill you have in finding likely places for moose to be, approaching with care, and then being able to be still and remain undetected for as long as you did, while that drama was unfolding before you......that's not easy! The combination of your description and the photos put me right there!
When I was younger, out in the woods with my dad the first name I learned for striped maple was moose maple.....

I wonder. Last May I hiked up the Kinsman Ridge Trail from 112 headed for Mount Wolf. A couple or three miles in we came to fairly open area that was virtually covered with moose doots. For ten yards or more you could scarcely take a step without stepping in a pile of them. Might this have been the remains of a similar get-together?

Most likely it was a moose yard from the winter before. They won't yard up as often as deer, but they do it. Your description of the vegetative cover and the quantity of scat suggests that they found a feast to browse on, with suitable cover, and hung around for a while.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

I think you meant say the bulls were "jousting," unless bulls actually do rut with each other :eek: as well as with the females... LOL :D

Gris said:
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

I think you meant say the bulls were "jousting," unless bulls actually do rut with each other :eek: as well as with the females... LOL :D

Gris, you made me check the dictionary. I thought rut was the term for the battling, but Webster says (paraphrasing) 1) sexual exitement or 2) the period during which this occurs. Thanks :)

Bob, I agree with sardog. I've found areas on trails in spring where it looks like they spent some extended time.

Pete, were you with the group heading up to First Sister? Was I gushing? It was one of the most wonderful experiences I've had out there :eek:

Carole, I like "dance floor". That works! I always make up my own names for things anyway.

Check out Paul Rezendes Book

Paul Rezendes is a tracker who wrote an excellent book called "Tracking and the Art of Seeing". His chapter on moose includes pictures of rut pits and a multi-paragraph discussion of them. He describes the experience of a wildlife photographer in Baxter who witnessed moose mating ritual like you did. His description concerns only two individuals - a male and a female, but includes many interesting details too lengthy to transcribe here. Nevertheless your encounter featured multiple males and one female so you topped his report there. A fellow such as yourself should check out this book. It's very well done.

forestgnome,

I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. Please send me a PM in reply if you're interested in discussing a tracking project for the winter. (Hint: You'll want to be watching your back while you're in the field . . . )

Jazzbo said:
Paul Rezendes is a tracker who wrote an excellent book called "Tracking and the Art of Seeing". His chapter on moose includes pictures of rut pits and a multi-paragraph discussion of them. He describes the experience of a wildlife photographer in Baxter who witnessed moose mating ritual like you did. His description concerns only two individuals - a male and a female, but includes many interesting details too lengthy to transcribe here. Nevertheless your encounter featured multiple males and one female so you topped his report there. A fellow such as yourself should check out this book. It's very well done.

Jazzbo, thanks, I'll suggest that to Santa (wife) :)