Mount Rainier 7/31-8/3 Rope Team #3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Each rope team will be submitting their own Trip Report to document their own perspectives. In rope team #3, the original members were:

Ed (Guinness)
Carol (Daxs)
Yvonne
Marco

Since this Trip Report covers 4 days of events, it spans several pages, complete with photo galleries. To accomodate this, I will reference links to HighPeaksClimbing.com for complete coverage.

Please select a day to review:

July 31 - Training Day
August 1 - Ascent to Camp muir
August 2 - Rest Day
August 3 - Summit Day

Complete Index to all Trip Reports

Last edited:
Guiness Congratulations to you and the VFTT team on a great climb

I know you put in a lot of work I am gald it was such a success
It looks like everyone had a great time and enjoyed a nice weather day to summit
I am proud of this whole group.
I can't wait to hear the stories at the ADK BBQ
:D :D :D
Al

I'm *trying* to read the TR, but I keep getting Javascript popups that just say "8". That ring any bells for anyone?

EDIT: I finally got past them - great reports!

Last edited:
Well, I guess I will add my little extra bit to the fabulous trip reports already up. My trip report is much the same as the others except for summit day . . . which for me had its ups and downs so if you don't want a slight bummer of a trip report, stop reading now :D

I had an excellent trip up to Muir and a big Thank you to Arm for keeping me company with his great stories. Just getting to Camp Muir is a trip of a lifetime and I can't say enough how beautiful it was . . . absolutely breathtaking.

The rest day was good but in hindsight, I for one needed to go on to the Flats and that is a lesson learned for my next trip up there.

Summit Day was an emotionally difficult one for me and I learned that crying and hiking at elevation do not go hand in hand. I was feeling physically great the entire day actually . . . contrary to how it might sound. I was feeling strong and no altitude effects. However, my slow pace which has NEVER hindered me in the past because no rope team/glacier conditions has ever had to determine my speed came to bite me. I quickly became depressed a few hours into the hike on summit day and found out the hard way that a massive mountain such as Rainier requires more than just physical endurance. I felt emotionally and mentally beat down and even after switching rope teams though my spirits rose somewhat, never felt any confidence in myself.

Upon reaching the top of the DC (which took me 5 hours and 45 minutes), we stopped and according to my calculations, at my speed, and with the worst of it behind me (rocks are harder for me than steep snow) I knew I would make summit between noon and 12:30 pm . . . not bad for me BUT this I knew would increase the risk for myself as well as Bruce and Ed. If I was only taking the extra risk on myself, I would have continued but with my team members to consider, I thought it best to stay behind allowing them to pick up their pace.

It was by far THE MOST HEARTBREAKINGLY DIFFICULT decision of my life. My legs were feeling strong and my heart was telling me to go on BUT I knew that without me they could make it to the summit a whole lot quicker and I was at an emotional lowpoint of my life. If I decided to do what I wanted, keep pushing for the summit because I wanted the summit so badly . . . I knew it would be a selfish decision and I could live with quitting easier than risking the lives of 2 men who had been nothing but wonderful to me thoughout. Bruce and Ed, you guys are great and I thank you for your compassion, generosity, character and support.

I regretted my decision to abort as soon as Ed and Bruce began to walk away from me. The lump in my throat was the size of Rainier and the tears I cried sitting alone on that glacier for 6 hours were some of the worst I have cried in my life. In a place so beautiful words cannot describe it . . . I spent much of my time longing to be the arms of someone who loved me instead. That day marked the first time EVER I was in the mountains wishing I was somewhere else.

The trip was a hard one for me for reasons other than what one might think and more than I want to get into publically but I know with time I will regain my confidence and get back there. I have already convinced Brian to head back there with me next year to execute a trip more in line with my pace and I am looking forward to spending the winter training and improving my rescue and self arrest skills.

I will carry with me for a lifetime the memories created on this trip and Rainier is to date one of the MOST AMAZING places I have ever been and I look forward to going back there soon.

THANK YOU Ed for being a top notch organizer and a special Thank you to the ladies on this trip for the laughs and the tears :) you guys are the best!!

sli74

Seema

You made a truly heroic descision and you can be very, very proud of it. One of the hardest things anyone ever does is to stop when your mind says stop, but your heart says go. As the saying goes, the mountain will be there when you're ready for it. Your time will come.

Best

thanks for sharing, sli74.
I can't even imagine what a difficult decision that was for you...

Seema: I second Papa Bear's comment. Many would like to have gotten as far as you did. Thanks for sharing!

Seema, all I can say is "Brava!" What strength it took to make the right decision, the unselfish one. Being a slow uphiller myself, I have tremendous respect for your choice.

You're first class.

The whole group showed great character, from the beginnings of your training back here to everything you all did on the Mountain. (I still have a hard time calling anything but Katahdin by that name!)

So kudos to you all!

Wow, so many versions of a fantastic trip. I am slowly reading the different reports and savoring the pictures.

Guinness: Great recounting of events!

Seema,

I have absolutely the utmost respect for you. You made an incredibly difficult decision. I want you to know that after I left all of you on Panorama Point, I prayed that you would have strength and wisdom. Your decision was wise, and in spite of the tough day you had waiting for the others, your emotional strength shows in your determination to get back and conquer Rainier. Bravo! Keep me in the loop for next year, I'd love to help out in any way I can (and maybe even I'll try to get up to Camp Muir with you--).

Peace,

Linda

Guinness, great report. I felt like I was there.

Seema, Amazingly difficult decision. You should be proud you made it. These are the experiences we learn the most from. Maybe not the most in a climbing sense but most about who we are. You will return and it will be the sweetest feeling ever when you summit. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH for the kind words and encouragement. I was dreading coming home and posting my dissapoinment in the midst of everyone else's joyous success but you guys make it much easier and make me feel better.

And also . . . HUGE CONGRATS to all those on the team who made it.

sli74

I am completely in awe of what you ALL did...every single one of you. I have found that in climbing a huge mountain or doing something similar, everyone is challenged in different ways, and judgement simply cannot be passed on someone else's journey...each person experiences their own trip even in a group. Reaching the summit is not the mark of a "successful" trip--each individual must decide for themselves if they have been successful...

I think you ALL rocked it! What BEAUTIFUL photos, everyone--and I realize the photos barely do it justice--all the more amazing!

-Katie

Seema,

We've never met, but I know from your writings and especially your decisions on this trip that I would feel very safe and honored to have you on my rope team. It sounds like others feel the same way. Knowing that people would willingly put their life into your hands is a much more significant accomplishment and measure of success than bagging any summit.

Tony

sli74 said:
It was by far THE MOST HEARTBREAKINGLY DIFFICULT decision of my life.

sli74
Seema,

I had a tear in my eyes reading this... what a tough decision it must've been and while I imagine it may have been cleansing writing your trip report, it must've been difficult nonetheless, especially amongst all the 'success' stories. However, yours is an equal success in mine (and it appears many other) eyes.

Congratulations on having the fortitude to attempt Rainier and then the courage to make what you felt was the right decision!

-Dr. Wu

and I would also like to add to the mix that topping out on top of the DC at 12000+ feet - is quite frankly - damn hard and a huge accomplishment -

I was lucky I had a good day up there - but I would have been happy making to there and then turn back - like I said - just getting to Muir is a huge deal to most people. many and many more people can't make it there.

there was no failure on this trip by any means

This was my first time actually hiking with seema (though we had met a few times prior) and I felt privilaged to hike/climb withh her. She is a wonderful person.

for example - once we were down - I was still kind of on clould nine and my cell phone didn't have service - I just wanted to phone my wife and let her know all was well. I didn't know at the time - but seema had something in her contact lense - but thought at the time it might be snowblindness. I would have been probably freaking a bit - but the first thing she said was very calmly - I only have enough for one call - but will have Brian call your wife from home. When she could have been like - screw off - I havee my own problems - but that's not the way she is - she thinks about others.

what class and compassion.

seema - I already told you this - but you will summit rainier in the near future - I know that for a fact.

Last edited: