Mount Washington Observatory Summit Volunteer 3/23-30/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
DSC_6664.jpg

Mount Monroe Snuggled in the Clouds

After a hiatus of just over 3 years I'm back on the summit living the dream, cooking, cleaning and hanging out on the top of New England. I've been associated with the MWObs for over 10 years now helping with their annual fundraiser (Seek the Peak) and occasionally spending an eight day shift with the crew. In return for my help I get to hike around and photograph what in my mind is one of the most beautiful places in the northeast.

DSC_6691.jpg

Rime Covered Stage Office

On Saturday a group of 10 photographers will join us for the remainder of the weekend in a workshop, known as an edu-trip, led by my friend and fellow photographer, Jim Salge. You may know him here as W7Xman. He is a phenomenal young photographer and is well acquainted with the mountain as he was a weather observer here for about 4 years.

DSC_6692.jpg

Rime Feathers

Over the next week I'll try to post updates and some photos. I hope you'll follow along and perhaps take an interest in this organization as it strives to provide the hiking community and the rest of the world with up to the minute weather data. Thanks!

DSC_6695.jpg

Hikers Head Back Down Tuckerman Ravine Trail

DSC_6707.jpg

Mild, Windless Sunset

KDT

Wow! Beautiful pictures! I was thinking of you when I was up there sunday...wondering if you were doing this again. Funny timing! Have a GREAT week!

PS How fast is the internet connection up there?:cool:

Wow. PT Barnum is right. Truly 0ne of the wonders of the World.Thanks for sharing the pics. Love the feathers along with the others.:cool:

In return for my help I get to hike around and photograph what in my mind is one of the most beautiful places in the northeast.
That is even better than monetary pay in so many ways . . . and hey, and it's tax-free compensation!:cool::)

Truly remarkable photos, Kevin! Thanks for sharing!

You captured so beautifully what I'm missing. Thanks for sharing...

(And yes, I'm grateful for my job and the big window not far from my cubicle.)

Thursday on the Summit

Thanks all for following along! Today was not a very photographic day outside, in the fog all day with four inches of snow, very calm winds for a mountaintop, though! I did go outside and hike the perimeter of the summit and took a few pictures.

DSC_6734.jpg

The Sherman Adams Summit Building

DSC_6736.jpg

This Cross is covered in Rime, it Marks Where Poor Lizzie Bourne Laid Down for the Last Time

DSC_6738.jpg

You Can See That They Were a Mere Stones Throw From the Summit and Safety, Not in the Sherman Adams Building, but the Tip-Top House Behind

DSC_6742.jpg

Looking Out From the Rotunda

DSC_6749.jpg

This is my Partner for the Week, Ernie. If You're Going to be Teamed Up With Someone it is Best to be Teamed With Someone Who Knows How to Make Chocolate Truffles!

DSC_6762.jpg

Appetizers Tonight: Spinach Balls in Fillo Dough

DSC_6770.jpg

Ernie's Main Course Tonight Was Catfish With a Mustard/Lemon/Garlic Marinade: Delicious!

DSC_6763.jpg

These are Blueberries I Picked on Mount Major Last August. We Had Blueberry Pie for Dessert

OK, now for what you've all been waiting for!

DSC_6751.jpg

Marty the Summit Cat!

KDT

Friday on the Summit

DSC_6777.jpg

If You Don't Like Ice and Snow, You Know Where You can Go!

DSC_6800.jpg

Rime Forming Outside the Window

DSC_6804.jpg

Tonight's Main Course: Curried Chicken, Stir Fry Vegetables and Shell Pasta

DSC_6802.jpg

Dessert: Mile High Apple Pie

DSC_6810.jpg

We Finally Came Out of the Clouds Near Sunset

DSC_6812.jpg

Looking East Towards Wildcat Ski Area

DSC_6814.jpg

The Observatory Tower

DSC_6821.jpg

Day's End

DSC_6824.jpg

Night, Night!

The wind was blowing 55-60 knots when I took the sunset pictures, that is about 65-70mph. I had to lean about 70 degrees into the wind to keep my footing and when I turned my back to it it blew my 210lb frame across the deck. I managed to stay on my feet. The next time you hear, "We climbed such and such a mountain and it was blowin' 100mph!" you can tell them I said, "Yeah. Right!"

KDT

Last edited:
Agiocochook says no!

I got up early this morning in anticipation of the Edu-trip that was to bring 9 photographers led by Jim Salge to the summit this morning. The crockpot was soon full of beef, mushrooms, onions and later red peppers as I prepared the mid-day meal of Brown Sugar/Bourbon Stew.

Outside the winds were ramping up. I knew there was a good possibility today that the mountain would say, "No!" Early on I crossed my fingers in hope they could make it to the summit. They had waited for another driver to come along and join the other already there. For safety it is always good to have two drivers along in case of emergency. We listened as they left the base of the Auto Road.

The wind continued to accelerate. When they reached halfway we thought, "Well, that was the easy part." They continued on. Ernie and I set about the task of getting ready for their arrival. Beds were made in the bunkroom. The extra table was put out to accommodate the hungry travelers. A huge urn of coffee was ready. The smell of the stew was beginning to fill the living quarters.

They turned onto Cragway and had to stop as they faced into the full-force of the wind. They waited in hopes that the blowing snow would allow them to continue. Then it came. The disappointing radio call, "We're turning back! Visibility is zero."

My heart sunk as I considered how disappointed those on board must be feeling at that point, especially my buddy, Jim. The edu-trippers had paid good money in hopes of making the trip which for some, like myself on my first trip, would bring them memories of a lifetime.

Thrashing about in the back of the Bombardier as it plowed it's way along. Looking out windows that might as well have been painted over as there were no views to be had through them, no point of reference. For some I am sure it meant motion sickness.

The wind bore down on the summit as it rose to speeds of 70mph, gusting to 90. Category One Hurricane force winds. Much too risky, no, impossible to proceed. The plow would lift the snow up and over the blade. Sometimes the visibility was such that the driver could not see the plow only a few feet in front of him.

The brute force of nature had prevailed. Mount Washington lived up to it's reputation as the World's Worst Weather once again. The Great Spirit, Agiocochook, said, "You will not visit my realm today."

KDT

100mph Winds and Marty the Summit Cat

I didn't get outside much today, I did however go out to take some video. I apologize I don't know of a way to show it here, but it is posted on my FB page. Eventually it will make it to smugmug where it can be viewed. Things up here have been crazy.

This afternoon winds continued to ramp up until they reached the century mark this evening. Reaching a peak gust of 107mph and blowing steady at 89mph it has been an interesting day. The temp has dropped to -1F and the windchill is -39.

Little inconveniences like this do not stop the Observers from going out to take their hourly readings and to chip ice off the instruments. It has gone on in this fashion, with few exceptions, since 1932. As I sit comfortable in a concrete and steel building I imagine what it was like before the Sherman Adams Building was here. I don't think I would have wanted to be up here.

I did get out on the deck and experience 80+mph winds, but no, I didn't try to join The Century Club. I have a new respect for hurricane force winds, however. Jim Cantore and all the other TV Stormchasers have nothing on the Obs Croo!

DSC_6832.jpg

Why Doncha Take A Picture?

Being inside most of the day gave me some quality time with Marty who showed me how to climb furniture, roll around like a tumbleweed in the wind and give the most malevolent stare anybody could possibly give. Those of you who know me know I am already pretty good at these things, but I'm taking it to a new level under Marty's watchful tutelage.

DSC_6845.jpg

See? I can Be Cute If I Wanna!

DSC_6862.jpg

Delicious Cheese Souffle

At supper we stuffed ourselves to the gills with the stew meant for the ill-fated edu-trip, a wonderful cheese souffle appetizer provided by chef extraordinaire Ernie, who also provided a scrumptious carrot cake for dessert which topped off the meal.

DSC_6857.jpg

Carrot Cake For Dessert

As I sit in the kitchen and write this, the wind has found its way down the stove vents, into the room and down the back of my neck, bringing with it a few rogue snowflakes and ice pellets. As the building creaks and groans from the onslaught of the howling wind demons outside, I think I will go re-read "Not Without Peril" to calm myself to sleep...

KDT

Sunday on the Summit

DSC_6904.jpg

Tip-Top House in 70MPH Winds

Despite 70+mph winds all day and peak gusts over 100 again, a Bombardier Snow Tractor did make it to the summit today. The difference between yesterday and today? Visibility. Clear skies and the summit out of the fog made it possible where yesterday the fog and blowing snow combined made the going much to risky to attempt. Just the luck of the draw. shame, but nothing to be done about it.

DSC_6923.jpg

Mount Clay Cornice and Spindrift Over the Great Gulf

DSC_6929.jpg

Ernie Prepares Tonight's Repast: Shrimp Stir-fry

DSC_6894.jpg

Black Forest Cake for Dessert:OMG!

DSC_6934.jpg

Spindrift Sunset

DSC_6938.jpg

Sunset Just North of Camel's Hump

DSC_6943.jpg

Camel's Hump

DSC_6949.jpg

View to Franconia Ridge at Sunset

KDT

Last edited:
Monday on the Summit

DSC_6953.jpg

Daytrippers Playing in the Wind

Ernie and I made lunch today for a group of folks who took a day-trip to the summit. They got to ride up in the Bombardier, much the same as edu-trippers, but without the overnight. Conditions allowed them to reach the summit, but visibility was poor as we spent the day in a cap cloud.

DSC_6958.jpg

Touring the Summit

Interestingly, we can look at the web-cams placed around the mountain in such places as Wildcat Ski Area and see that a few hundred feet below us, the sun is shining. Here on the summit we remained in the clouds. Winds today stayed in the 70-80mph range and the visitors got a real taste of what the weather up here can be like.

DSC_6960.jpg

They're About 20' Away, So You Can See Visibility Was Poor

DSC_6961.jpg

Stage Office in the Fog

A trip to the top of the observatory tower provided each with a similar experience to what the observers endure each hour as they go up to chip ice and take readings. Afterwards they went out onto the deck to experience the full force of the wind. A short trip around the summit to visit the historic buildings wrapped up the trip.

DSC_6984.jpg

Browning the Meat for Geschnezetles

Lunch consisted of a very thick minestrone, ramen noodles with vegetables and shrimp, and some more of Ernie's specialty: Chocolate Truffles! Dinner tonight consisted of some more of Ernie's exquisite offerings: The appetizer today was: Kaeseschnitten. This is a cheese, egg, milk mix with a peanut butter like consistency spread on toast and baked. Best when fresh out of the oven! Main course was: Geschnezetles:Similar to beef stroganoff with mushrooms and cream. There was a homemade pasta known as spaetzle (German). For dessert: Another of Ernie's delicious apple pies!

KDT

Last edited:
Tuesday: Last Full Day on the Summit

DSC_6989.jpg

Scott Addresses the Daytrippers

We had guests again today. The day-trip today is known as a "VIP Trip". The folks who came up are major players who are considering giving corporate sponsorship to help support the non-profit Observatory. We needed to impress!

DSC_6990.jpg

The Observatory Tower

DSC_6993.jpg

Today's View of the Tip-Top House From the Tower

DSC_6996.jpg

The Turret and the Instruments

DSC_6998.jpg

Some Folks Check Out the Top of New England

DSC_6999.jpg

The Sky Cleared Just Long Enough to Have This View From the Tower

DSC_7008.jpg

In the Subject of Small Worlds: This Young Observer Grew Up on the Same Street in the Same Town That I Did!

DSC_7009.jpg

Shrimp Stir-fry for Lunch= Shiny Happy People!

DSC_6988.jpg

And Ernie's Signature Black Forest Cake for Dessert!

KDT

Sorry that Jim and his photo Edu-trippers were not able to get up the mountain on Saturday. But, appears that you and Marty had a great time nevertheless. That deck looks tricky with an irregular snowpack right now for a Century Club attempt, even if the winds had stayed steady above 100 mph. Thanks for posting all the pics.