Mountain Equipment pulls Nalgene water bottles off shelves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The plastic in question is made mostly from bisphenol A, which mimics estrogen"

Maybe that's the cause of that calming affect so many claim to get while in the woods! Guess I'll stick to the bottle that my Gatorade came in like always. ;)

Well, if you're one of those anti-chemical freaks that only consumes organic foods and you recently traded your lexan Nalgene bottles for stainless steel bottles, then you better stop buying canned and bottled foods and beverages as well because most contain the dreaded bisphenol A. :p ;)

More info.

I collect Lexan Nalgene bottles. Let me know if you have some to get rid of. :D

Last edited:
ColdRiverRun said:
"The plastic in question is made mostly from bisphenol A, which mimics estrogen"

Maybe that's the cause of that calming affect so many claim to get while in the woods! Guess I'll stick to the bottle that my Gatorade came in like always. ;)

Maybe that's why I don't mind asking for directions when I'm drinking from my Nalgene.

Good link, Tim.

From what I've read elsewhere, you can also lessen the leaching by only using it to store cool or cold liquid/food, and also to store things for as least time as possible.

Unfortunately "life causes death!" :eek:

Dugan said:
From what I've read elsewhere, you can also lessen the leaching by only using it to store cool or cold liquid/food, and also to store things for as least time as possible.
FWIW, this is true for leachants in general.

Doug

Tim Seaver said:
The CDC recently released (Oct 2007) their findings on Bisphenol A from a fairly large 2003-2004 study:

http://www.bisphenol-a.org/whatsNew/20071101.html#_edn3

I may be missing something, but this study seems only to address Bisphenol A exposure in the general population - not how much exposure may result from frequently using products containing it. Is there any available data on how much exposure increases, say, after a couple of days of drinking out of nalgenes and the like?

Bisphenol A - It's What's For Dinner!

griffin said:
I may be missing something, but this study seems only to address Bisphenol A exposure in the general population - not how much exposure may result from frequently using products containing it.

Bisphenol A is also an ingredient in the epoxy used to line canned foods, also widespread in the food service industry. I am under the impression that you would pretty much have to live in a cave eating grubs to avoid it. :D

Enjoy your soup!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads-up Black Spruce.

IMO, if you don't drink from Nalgene bottles 24/7, you shouldn't worry. However, to those who are truly worried... the following also cause estrogenic effects:

soy/tofu
tempeh
linseed (flax)
sesame seeds
wheat
berries
oats
barley
dried beans
lentils
rice
alfalfa
mung beans
apples
carrots
ginseng
bourbon
beer
fennel
anise
the pesticides that are used on your fruits/veggies
the herbicides used on your lawn
the char on your flame-grilled meats/veggies

Oh, and there are millions of bacteria crawling all over your keyboard right now.

Last edited: