Mt Washington and my 5yr old who tackled it! 8/4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueblaze

Reaction score
I knew that my son and I were going to have a great weekend when we were heading down 302 to check in at the campground and had a baby moose step out of the woods right up the street from us. I pulled over at a safe distance so my son could enjoy an animal that he has only seen and read about in books. He walked right beside our truck, stared at us for a few moments then went about his or her day. (not quite sure on making the sex of a moose.) The excitement in my sons voice made me smile for hours. I could go on and on but thats for another thread I suppose.

So with much careful thought (and computer updates of the summit from the owners of Crawford Notch Campground) we decided to try hiking Mt Washington on Sat. My son is pretty rugged but still also 5, so I did not want to push him or over do it. So I decided to try for the hut and if it looked like we werent going to make it we would turn around and head back.

We got to the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail around 6:30 and strapped on our shoes. By the time we (ok me) stretched and finished our breakfast, took a picture of the start and headed off it was 7 on the nose. What a morning! Overcast but still comfortable. From the start of the hike I was amazed at all of the things that he pointed out. (his words..."Daddy,do you hear that woodpecker eating his breakfast? Daddy,listen to the sound the wind makes blowing through the trees. Daddy, are we there yet?") If you have never hiked with a child under the age of 7, you need to make the effort atleast once in your lifetime. I have been hiking the better part of the summer without him and the way he made me look at all that was around me completely opened my eyes to things I might not have ever noticed!

Well the trails were very well traveled and by our first hour we had maybe 30 people pass us on their way up. Amazingly all but a few stopped to say hi to my son and to tell him that he could make it. This made him feel really good. We actually leap frogged with quite a few people and he enjoyed the amount of people out on this trail with him.

By the time we reached Gem Pool he was having a blast and nothing was going to stop this little guy. We played I spy, and what he likes to call "picture hunt" The steep part of the trail was next and I had to make him take breaks just to save his energy for the long day ahead. By the time we reached the Cascades we were completely in the clouds. Try and explain that one to a 5yr old. He started running and dancin like crazy! Spent a little time there with some people that were backpacking and snacked. Yet again, more great people with "little kids" words of encouragement. So finally off to the hut.

By the time we reached the hut the wind had picked up but that actually seemed to blow the clouds out. As soon as we finished our little break and tour of the hut, the sun was shining! (love that choc. rasp cake) I know I keep repeating myself but the amount of people that took the time to congrat my son on his efforts and the steps ahead, were overwhelming! This "hiking" community that I have so recently come into could not be a better place to make friends. Even the non-english speaking folks stopped (and actually confused my son) but he new by there smiles what they meant!

That final ascent to the top was the most fun. He just got so excited and giggling! Made ME feel like a little kid again! Now understand...to this point...not one complaint! And he has walked every step of the way! The look of amazement on his face when we reached the top was worth every last minute of that day and as a father...I could not have been any more proud of my son! Of course after the "summit pic" it was time to eat. As we were walking into the building who walks right in front of us but my future brother in law Andy (trail dog) Thompson. He was running the Pinkham Notch race and grabbing a fast bite. Lots of high fives and hugs and he was off. Then on top of that we run into another friend who was hiking with a group of her friends. Small world on such a big mountain. So many people who passed us on the way came by to high five and congrat Tristin on such a big accomplishment!

After a lunch break(mostly Doritoes) we were off. The thought of that pizza and orange soda at the bottom got us trucking on our way! Now the Jewell trail can be pretty rocky dont ya think. Now imagine it with a body only 3'6. It made for some very slow going. BUT...that "little train that could" and the one running next to us seemed to be the motivating factor. That and all the people heading up smiling , completely in shock that he was out there! Amazingly he never complained and never asked me to carry him. By the time we got to the woods we were both tired and ready to get back to camp. Somehow he kicked it into overdrive and we flew down that trail. Passing those that crushed us on the upper portion of the trail.

My son loves trains so as a little reward we hopped off at the Cog trail so he could enjoy those trains for a bit. The look of pride on his face when he turned to look at that mountain....(speechless!!!) By the time we got back to the car we both just fell on the grass and sighed! Some people that were finishing up in the other direction,and had seen us up top sat with us and just laughed it up with T for a while. We all decided that we were going for the pizza. As we all sat at our table,devouring our food, I noticed Tristin staring out the window. I asked him what he was looking at. I will never forget the look on his face and his response. "Daddy, we climbed that whole mountain!" I said, "I know bubba. I am so proud of you!" He then goes on to say,"Daddy, I dont want to climb that mountain again for a very long time!" That almost brought the house down with the exasperated look on his face! After that it was back to the campground for a hot shower and the campfire with some friends and there kids. I felt he earned two smores that night!

Thank you to all of those who took the time to stop and encourage my son. The hellos,the high fives and the pats on the back are what helped him over that "hump." It also taught him that there are people who care about others and get excited for each other during great accomplishments! Hopefully we will see many of you all back out on the trails soon!

Be safe!

Blueblaze and squirrel

Pics of the trip!

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/560196472eoANdJ

AWESOME!!!! I came from a family that was checking off peaks at that age. You've given your son a gift he will hopefully cherish for the rest of his life.

Highlight of my morning...your TR

Thanks for sharing such a great trip report with all of us. It's cool when kids (or other adults who act like kids) help you see/hear/experience everyday things in new ways. Sounds like you saw your son through new eyes that day in some way too. Those pictures are all fantastic. I really like pic 26 (I think) "love the views". Thanks for a great read.

I haven't ever hiked Washington yet for lots of reasons, but when I do someday I bet I'll remember this trip report and think about things from a 5 year old perspective a little bit more on that hike!

Awesome!

What a fabulous hike and memory for both of you! I've hiked that loop and can appreciate how tired you both must have been. I can't imagine how many more steps your son must have taken to cover the same distance. Wow! Great trip report. Thanks so much for sharing your fun! :)

Very cool. My son will be 5 in October, but he wouldn't tackle anything that big without mucho complaining. Pack Monadnock and Major are about his size. My wife would never let me take him on anything bigger at this point.

Still, I have enjoyed every minute of the lower peaks. With a kid, it is more about the journey than the destination, although in this case I feel it was both!

Tim

Wow ! Great trip report & pics ! And an amazing little hiker ! He had a smile from start to finish.....

Dave

Very nice report. Congrats on your son's accomplishment. You must be VERY proud!

Any reason you skipped the advice that you asked for in this thread:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17831

I thought you said you wanted to "break him in slowly"? The kid must be pretty darn strong. Now he'll always be able to say that Mount Washington was the first mountain he climbed - when he was 5! Unfortunately, I don't think kids that age can fully appreciate the significance of climbing the highest mountain in New England.

So what is he going to tackle next? Maybe he can be the first to do them all starting from the highest and finishing on the lowest... watch out Adams, Tristin's coming!!

That was the best trip report I've read in a very long time! Your little squirrel made my day!

I can still remember taking my son up Katahdin a couple of weeks after his 5th birthday. Their energy is boundless and no matter how big the rock, they just seem to find a way. He came down and rode his bike at the campground. I wrapped my knees in towels soaked from Katahdin Stream.

You will always remember this day and so will he.

One of the best TRs ever!!!

You are starting something great with your son - very awesome of you!!

Rock on!

Well Albee, I wrote every hike down that you all gave me! Trust me, they have gone into my "to-do very soon list." For some reason, from the day we got there and saw how clear the Mt. was, EVERY DAY, I just felt pulled to do it. The stops along the way, the lakes, the train. I dont know why...I just did! And i'm glad I went with my gut! It was a day he might not COMPLETELY remember, but as his dad...the pride I still feel 3 days later is like we just finished and we were hugging at the base of the mountain!

Impressive!

I was on Grinell Glacier at 3 yrs old (approach 12mi rt and 1600 vert ft), but I suspect that I had help much of the way. But my brother would have been 6 and probably did it under his own power--I had dibs on my father's shoulders...

Doug

Great fathering, Blueblaze!!!

Now prepare your hiking ego for when he zooms up the trail leaving you in his dust! It won't be long. :D

Outstanding!

You are correct to break him in young. My boys are all old enough to be out of the house now, and I look back at the missed opportunities. Sure, we had great times in the mountains camping, swimming and goofing around, but we did very little hiking and even less mountain climbing and it is one of the big regrets I have about fatherhood. I didn't really "discover" the mountains until my boys were no longer interested in hanging out with dad. I wish I had spent more time climbing with them. You keep him going now. You can tell him they're all easier than that one, though it might be a little bit of a lie.

Way to go Tristen! And congrats to you, John on checking this one off your list!

KDT

Great job Tristin & Dad! The photos were wonderful...the little man looks so proud!
-vegematic

Your pictures are fantastic. Your son looks like he is having a blast, and so do you! You must be very proud of him.
Don't you love the internet? The fact that you could share these great pictures with so many people is so wonderful. I really enjoyed seeing them.