Mt Washington, November 10, 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome stuff!

It's ok that more people recognize our dog than us, we prefer the anonymity. Great trip report and pics. Let me know when you're going back for the winter climb, or am I getting ahead of your lists? It was nice to see all you guys at Barnes, I wish I had known your plans for climbing Washington, we might have joined you instead of our little walk to The Bowl. Glad we met up anyway, thanks to you Sabrina, Michael and Leaf for the company and car spot on the Wildcats the next day. Emma sends Terra her best woofs.

KDT

MichaelJ said:
Spot on ... GPS track through "GPS Babel+" into KML, onto Google Earth then a little hand touchup and save as a jpeg.

sardog1 said:
FYI -- you'll need at least Google Earth Plus to lay down a GPS track. The free version won't do this. The additional $20 for the Plus-sized version is worth it, IMO. Here's a chart of Google versions.

Mercy buckets for the info.

sardog1 said:
FYI -- you'll need at least Google Earth Plus to lay down a GPS track. The free version won't do this
Actually, you don't ... it will.

If you buy the Plus version, you can import from the GPS directly into Google Earth; however, if you do it the way I did it, it costs nothing. GPS Babel+ is free software, it reads the GPS straight off USB and writes KML, then you just open that in Google Earth and voila!

I should note that with a Garmin GPS there are three ways to do this, and a major quirk. You can save the track each time you finish a hike and thus get that specific one imported, you can convert the Active Track Log, which will have multiple tracks in it and you just edit out the ones you don't want, or you can have the GPS in a mode where it writes .GPX files directly to the memory card, then you attach the GPS via USB like an external drive and just copy the files off, then directly open the GPX in Google Earth.

The quirk is that the GPX or Active Log files have timestamps in them for every track point. If in Google Earth's view preferences you have chosen for time to be displayed, then only one path at a time will be displayed, even if you've checkmarked to see several of them.

The imported files have both path and individual track points; I tend to turn off or delete the latter and only use the former for imagery.

whats the deal with the ele? the last 10+ years, I assumed george was a 4300 ele gain from the notch. I don't have my book here now, is it really 4700??? I know its 5000k from great gulf.

My GPS said we gained 4700 and change and so that's what I told her prior to looking it up in the guide book. It's a 60csx and pretty darned accurate with the baro altimeter auto-corrected by the GPS, so I generally believe it and usually chalk up any greater values than the books to being the result of cumulative ups and downs.

Or did the tech fail me, big-time?

The topo software gave me 4216', but that of course doesn't account for any changes smaller than a contour line.

You have one cool dog!
And thanks for the tips for taking the track to GE, it's something that has been on my list of things to figure out since I got a GPS not too long ago. And now I don't ;)

giggy said:
whats the deal with the ele? the last 10+ years, I assumed george was a 4300 ele gain from the notch. I don't have my book here now, is it really 4700??? I know its 5000k from great gulf.
It "should" be 4256 (the packroom in Pinkham reads 2032ft) if you're doing the difference between the two. I think with the dips and such you gain some extra... but yeah, seems like a lot more extra.

On the elly I had initially included 4300 (from Mohammed's site) but then MJ told me his GPS read 4700!

I just checked my track from that day and it read 4386 ft gain.

Not sure how much the up and down on Lions Head adds, if any.

Two Garmins, two different numbers. Whadupwiddat?

:)

una_dogger said:
Two Garmins, two different numbers. Whadupwiddat?

:)
MJ's GPS probably had the Ego Boost option turned on - which automatically "adjusts" the elevation gain up in order to not be outdone by one-uppers and strong women hikers. That feature is available in the Garmin Testosterone line.

Your GPS on the other hand tells it like it is... and it may occasionally have pillow fights with other GPSs of the same line.

Last edited:
Hey, I write software for a living, I should know better than to trust what a computer tells me.

MichaelJ said:
Hey, I write software for a living, I should know better than to trust what a computer tells me.
Don't worry, I also turn my boost on ;)

Or who knows... maybe that extra mileage was just some easter egg you came upon.

Being flexible with the plans certainly has it's benefits! Nice stuff you had going on the hike!

MJ - thanks for the 3-D. I really liked it and showed it to Mrs bubba so she could better understand this July's outing/mishap. Scares me to see what the right gully looks like from that angle, and seeing the route on the mtn. makes understanding a 4+ hour rescue/decent understandable.

Sweet day to be out with friends!