New Slides in the White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
Thought I'd open up a thread for new slides, post-Irene, in the White Mountains.

This one on Mt. Washington was spotted by the folks at Wildcat:

386455002.jpg

Others?

Where?

Obviously, on the east side, but where exactly? Looks like maybe the Gulf of Slides? Not sure, maybe Raymond Cataract area?

KDT

Bonds, Guyot, & Twins

My wife & I were out in the Pemi today doing trail work on the Osseo. We made it up to the top of the ladders where we could get a good look out to the head of the Pemi wilderness- the Twins, Guyot, & the Bonds. I only got a poor quality cell phone pic (I didn't pack my camera- aarrgg!) but there appears to be both new slides and drastic widening of some of the existing slides. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this soon with a better photo!

Looks like there might have been new addition to slides (extended?) on N Twin/PATN area..either that or I need 1.75s..also thinking see something new in Cascade Ravine, Adams/Jefferson area..Lefty E

attachment.php

Possible new slides and widening of existing slides on the southern exposure of the Twins, Guyot, and the Bonds? As seen from the ledge viewpoint on the Osseo Trail at the ladders near the summit of Mt Flume

Last edited:
Possible new slides and widening of existing slides on the southern exposure of the Twins, Guyot, and the Bonds?

Looks like there could be a new one on Bond? Or the existing one widened, me thinks.

The ones on Guyot look to be the same.

Last edited:
Last summer (on 20-Aug-2010) I was on Mt Flume and took a photo that is somewhat similar to the one you posted. Below is a photo composition with my photo on top, and yours on the bottom. Take a look and see what you think. Making these types of comparisons is not one of my strong suits!:D
Post_Irene.jpg

Also, shown below is another photo taken on my hike last summer. I thought it might also be helpful in making comparisons. The mountains are essentially the same, but the vantage point is different.
P1060878.JPG

Looks like an enlargement on the south face of West Bond, and that is most definitely a new slide on the west face of Bond. I checked my photos from this last summer, there is nothing to correspond to that sharp vertical line on the side between West and Cliff.

This is a picture from the summit of Flume on 3/27/10.
IMG_0023.JPG

Last edited:
I take it back, but that's interesting how that vertical line on the west face of Bond shows up in your winter photo but not in the summer photos, and was not visible at all in my photos taken from Bondcliff.