No guilt needed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Why do I, and many others on this board, feel the need to apologize for our peak bagging, and list completing behavior? I don’t claim that I move society forward each time I check a summit off my list, but the activity has much lower environmental impact that many other pursuits we humans engage in. I never hear of dirt bike, or NASCAR enthusiasts playing apologist.

Maybe society is advanced because we exist, and therefore there is no need to inject guilt.

What say you?

Paradox said:
Why do I, and many others on this board, feel the need to apologize for our peak bagging, and list completing behavior? I don’t claim that I move society forward each time I check a summit off my list, but the activity has much lower environmental impact that many other pursuits we humans engage in. I never hear of dirt bike, or NASCAR enthusiasts playing apologist.

Maybe society is advanced because we exist, and therefore there is no need to inject guilt.

What say you?
Maybe I have thick skin, but I do not feel this board is anti-bagger.

On the contrary, it seems to be the embodiment (or in new speak - BLOG) of the pursuit of the NE115, NEHH, NE770, etc.....

I believe ...(insert Steve Martin rant here)... that there are as many "I don't hike a list" elitists as there are "I'm hiking a list" elitists. I also believe that the vast majority do some combination and don't really care why someone else is on the trail. I thought the whole idea of "lists" was to spread the impact around. I like to use a list as a guide to areas I haven't hiked yet. I then plan to return to the areas I'd like to spend more time in, which generally won't be the most popular ones.

I don't believe (I could be nieve) that there is any bias or guilt-riddled intentions. "Lists" are what they are. There are all kinds out there, outside of hiking. Keeping track of license plates on long trips, states you have visited, ballparks you've attended, etc. It can just be a way to record where you've been. Either to not duplicate them, or to ensure you are spreading the love around.

I get offended when some assume that because you went on XYZ peak, "you must be doing the ABC100's or something". Happens here, at the trailhead, at the huts, etc. There is an assumption that the only way someone would be doing this is because it's on a list. There can be a lack of understanding on why else would you go to a certain peak unless you could check it off?

However, if you, or anyone, wants to cross peaks off a list. Go for it. At the end of the day, it has absolutely no bearing on my life. I completed one list, it's enough for me, and that's OK.

I think we are thinking wwwaaayyyyy too much into this. It is, after all, just walking in the woods...isn't it?

Last edited:
There is one universal attribute the frequent/regular contributors share -- they are passionate about their hiking, be it bagging, or anti-bagging, etc.

The regular readers are universally curious (or voyeuristic) .

I very rarely feel there is any trolling or flaming going on here, which is one of the goals of the semi-private membership rules.

Tim

Paradox said:
Why do I, and many others on this board, feel the need to apologize for our peak bagging, and list completing behavior?
Only you can tell us why the hell you feel any need to apologize :confused:

My guess is that about half of the non-baggers in Carole's thread are like me: We have done as many lists as we care to do. That certainly does not make us anti-list. Surely you cannot accuse the owner of a peakbagging web site of being anti-list :D

List or log?

And how list focused are you? The truely obsessed would never do a peak a 2nd time before completing the list , Do the Franconia loop on a beautiful day a 2nd time when you NEED (insert your least favorite view-less hike here) that's not logical, I've done Lincoln & Lafayette already

Most of the non-list folks have done them already & whether or not you submit the list to get your patch is another matter entirely. Had a discussion on my last ADK's trip & we were talking about documenting & if you needed witness & IMO that seems silly. If you have'nt climbed Allen, you can't BS to someone who has.

I'm with Jay... hike one peak in the ADK's and you've done one of the 46rs and the same for NH, VT and the rest! Whether or not you care to add another and check it off a list or note such in a journal is up to you. Besides, in the end, aren't non-list peakbaggers doing there own list of non-list peaks? IMO you just can't get away from it. In this world there is an infinite number of mountains, books, roads, etc. - do one and the remainder set ready for you to discover.

I find that apologies on this board occur because we are a polite assemblage of kindred minds. I hope I haven't ruffled anyone's feathers... ;)

Paradox said:

What say you?

I was bagging peaks long before this board came into existence, and I have no doubt I'll be bagging peaks long after it's history. I neither apologize, nor feel the need to justify my hiking to anyone.

Apology? I feel I owe a great debt to "The List" (the NH 4000's in my case). If I hadn't seen a patch and a plaque on a wall, and asked some questions, I would have missed out on a LOT of fine days (and nights) spent on the trail. I have finished the list, but am not finished hiking. I know I wouldn't have hiked many of the mountains I have if it wasn't for the list. No apology necessary.

The ADK 46 list pulled me out of my ''cage dorée'' (sorry I don't know what it is in english). It helped me get in good shape, meet REAL friends (no matter what people are saying), get in touch with my only true (and new at that time) passion. It got me into trailwork, where I met amazing women like Mary Lou Recor and Jane (she's over 70 yo and still helps carrying the trees to built the bridges).

Then the NH 48 list made me discover the amazingly beautiful NH ;) , I met even more friends (those who invited me on that Baxter Winter Trip), and this summer I pushed my limits like never before.

Next is the NE115 (almost there) and the NE100 (these will be my motivation after getting surgery). And on and on.

I have personnal reasons to hike lists, and anyone who's judging me because I do so should ask themselves why they bother so much about it. I don't get it.

What Stinky said.

It isn't illegal. It doesn't matter if you head out for one reason and I head out for another. It doesn't matter if our reasons are in opposition. Have fun, be safe, no getting hurt, no guilt.

You know John, the first time I read your subject, I read "No QUILT needed" and was like... why would John post about needing Quilts... I mean it is fall and the temps are getting colder.. but a quilt??? :D

I just thought this thread needs some levity.

Back to your normal dialog...

Jay