Our Mistakes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mistakes

okay, okay, I have made quite a few backpacking mistakes, and don't have time now to name them all. But again, after all the hiking/backpacking/climbing experience I now have, and always being open to learning from others, I have retained quite a bit. Yes, the smartest people know they do not know everything and can always learn from others. I hope you all agree here.

In 2004, when I climbed Deanli with Frodo, Thom, Peter Anderson and gang, I knew I was with 5 very experienced guys and I was open to learn from them. In fact, when we split into 2 groups at 9,000 feet - 3 of us to continue to the summit and 3 went back down (Ben, Frodo and I went up), I remember Peter Anderson said to me - at that time - that my strengths on the team were:

1) Two climbs at high altitude - Kilimanjaro and Elbrus (18,500 and 19,300 feet)
and more importantly

2) I was the biggest team player on the team, getting along with everyone. I took this as a high compliment. I know and understand that that is a crutial element for a team to succeed.

As far as hiking boots, boy, I learned that good sturdy boots are important when I hiked by myself on King's Peak in Utah. (my friend cancelled for some reason at the last minute???)

Anyway, again on my REI talks, I discuss boots and advise everyone that this is probably your most important decision in clothing type gear. You should try on many pairs and walk around, even go for a hike, normally REI would let you exchange them.

People ask me what I have. I purchased Zamberlan. but I also advise that there are many good brands. When I bought my pair, I tried on 3 boots, and 2 of the pairs were a little "stiff". but the pair I bought was comfortable RIGHT THERE IN THE STORE. I felt like I was wearing tennis shoes! The point here is they really do not need to be stiff in the beginning, if you are patient and get the right pair to start with!!!! In other words, don't settle for the wrong pair of boots!

As far as Everest type boots (which you need to get a size too big as your foot swells at altitude), they have a very limited life, so breaking them in is limited, in my opinion. Millet worked great for me. Don't skimp.

John

Maddy said:
It only works if you apply it at the very FIRST sign of trouble before the hot spot develops.
As soon as you start to feel a pressure spot, then it's
time to put it on.
Also "molefoam" is good because you can cut out a "donut hole" and apply it to the area. You can even use several layers of "donut" so nothing touches the wound.
Blisters are brutal!
yeah.....I won't ever do that again! If I ever have to use that stuff again, then I will definitely cut a whole out, and use SEVERAL layers! :eek:

Reading all of this about blisters makes me think...
I get blisters really easily- tough luck I guess. I used to use moleskin and foam, but recently discovered second skin dressings. I'll never use moleskin ever again.

Other foot related mistakes= waiting too long to do something about cold feet. Years and years of that have made my feet super sensitive. I swallow my pride and use foot warmers at the fist hint of cold toes. It took me many close calls with frostbite/nip to learn that.

Maddy said:
Also "molefoam" is good because you can cut out a "donut hole" and apply it to the area. You can even use several layers of "donut" so nothing touches the wound.

Yeah, I meant molefoam in my post, not moleskin. :eek: The foam really works much better.

Hiked in Sneakers
Hiked in Cotton (even in Winter)
Didn't bring flashlight (thought we could make it out by dark)
Have left snowshoes/crampons in car OR home thinking not needing them.
Not bringing enough food, just a sandwich for the summit.
Wearing shorts in late Spring because the weather was great in the valleys but snow and rain on the summit and nothing to keep myself warm. (carried very lightly, to move quickly.)
Didn't bring bug dope and bugs gallore.
Overreaching my limitations.
Not heeding warning to severe weather forecast. Almost froze to death on Redfield one Winter and another time almost froze to death on Cliff. Very close to hyperthermic stages.

Many stupid mistakes but getting into trouble once, makes for a safer pack the next time. No greater experience than our own experience, learning from our error of judgements.

Mistakes.... Nah, not me!

Well, actually just a month or so ago I was hiking Bonds from Zealand. I took a small fall on the way up to Guyot, brushed myself off and continued. At Guyot CS, I set up camp and then headed out to hit the three bonds. My knee was starting to hurt before I left camp, but I continued on. (The peaks were SO CLOSE!) The pain was intense as I made it back to camp. The next morning I woke up, felt okay and decided to hike out only to have my knee lock up on me before I made it to Zealand...

Mistake: Not paying attention to the beginning of an injury.
Price: One hell of a long and painful hike out of the woods with a knee that was completely locked.
Cost: Lateral meniscus, MRI, MD visits, probably surgical repair... You get the drift.
Lessons Learned: Pay closer attention to any injury, no matter what the degree. If in doubt, skip the peaks and get out safely.

Such is life!

Thats a new way of looking at it, and probably a good one! I'll keep that in mind when I talk with the surgeon tomorrow. Either way you look at it, I'll be back for the Fall/Winter season. ;)

Wear Sunscreen!

I just realized I made a big mistake this past Memorial Weekend. I was wearing a beanie cap and I did not put sun screen on the rest of my face. Those who know me know I do not have any hair and I am completely bald :D So my face was lobster red and the top of my head was white. Nothing like going back to work and haveing the guys make fun of your new tan line :eek:

Adam

1) Assumed that ANYONE hiking with me could hike my pace: and have fun
2) Assumed that I could hike at ANYONE's pace: and have fun.
3) Forgot to look up, blindly trusting a weather report
4) Forgot to look down, fracturing a tibia, metatarsal, and tearing a ligament
5) Didn't double check my exit waypoint when heading off trail. Then heading to what I thought was the right point (the nearest...). Ended up slogging through 1/2 mile of crotch deep snow (believe me, I know EXACTLY how deep) to get back to the trail.

I could go on and on. Fortunately, I've been able to make a few good decisions over the years. :eek:

jeez - I could go on and on

Can really look back at every hike or climb and said I would have done something different.

biggest regret was a p-traverse attempt in 2005 - (kroto will recall this) - I forgot my liner socks at home and I never get blisters (very rarely) so went with the one sock and it was extremely wet all day (heavy rain pretty much all day) - started getting the hot spots about adams and didn't take care them until too late - like monticello lawn. It was pure misery from Jefferson to the final bailout call at lakes.

This was a bunch of strong minded people hiking together in prep for a rainier climb - and nobody wanted to be the one to suggest bailing - so we plowed on in complete misery and until we pretty much hypothermic and we were all like - the fun has ended - I am done.

so for me, I should have taken better care of the feet and then probably bailed much earlier. This was june, and I recall a temp of about 35 degrees and rain all day. not good!

I learn something on every hike, wether it be an actual mistake or
a miscalculation, or a failure to prepare !
I look forward to learning more even if it is "the hard way".

I do a lot of homework and try to gather as much information as possible...usually to the point of overload and then I forget the simple obvious stuff...like "how is that trail marked ? " and I've ended up on the wrong mountain.

I call them "self imposed educational situations".

Oh yeah, how could I forget! Trying vapor barrier gloves in the early '80's, and coming down Bigelow drenched to the elbows on a pretty nice winter day. Duh. :rolleyes:

Uhhh

Thinking that putting a $1000 camera in a waterproof stuck sack before crossing a stream would protect it, when all it really did was ensure that it stayed submerged/encased in it's own perosnal water balloon... :eek:

Being serious this to time.
All I can only say is that missing these can mess up a day hike.

Bring warmer clothing that you may not think you need (weather forecasts can really foul me up). This includes remembering a shell or rainjacket.

Extra bottles of water.

Food? It's all I think about after an hour or so. Make sure there's more than you need (until you get to a good pub or restaurant).

Extra pair of socks and bandaids.

I can't say I've gotten into any serious situations, yet.
Although, there was the time one winter I had crampons straped to the sides of my pack, I slipped on ice, fell, and only punctured my water bottle.
Sometimes you just don't know how lucky you are. That could have been a bad day.

I have a few-none too serious though:
Test fired my XGK on my kitchen counter top after rebuilding it and not checking to see that the pump wasn't leaking-I was prepared to put out a fire, so no real damage when the pump erupted in flames;

Waded across a river without trekking poles and wound up on my hands and knees in chest deep glacier runoff;

Rented plastic boots for a mountaineering course and spent a miserable time dealing with shin bang after a few days-should have taken my hiking boots along for the long walk back down the glacier;

Forgot where I set down my skis and pack at Dewey Point (Yosemite) and spent about a half hour looking for them as it started to get dark;

Got a late start on a cross-country ski camping trip (solo) and didn't get as far as I wanted before it got dark;

Didn't have a flashlight with me on a "short" day hike and got back to the car just before it got totally black.

Thinking "Nah, I don't need rainpants in the Presis in July" then getting hypothermic in sleet and hurricane force winds and temps around 36;

Not realizing that the cairns above treeline on Mansfield can be measured with a micrometer, making them unhelpful on a winter solstice night hike in the snow.

Not realizing that snowmelt in the Sierras in June can make stream crossings, well, very very interesting, especially in late afternoon... and signs at trail junctions can get buried by 10 feet of snow.

But heck, why hike if not for a little excitement now and then? :D

Weatherman