personal safety

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Raymond said:
Do bears sleep during the day?
If they feel like it...

Bears can be active at any time of day. They can also come out any time of year, although they are less likely to forage during the winter.

I sure that you have heard the "What does a 500 lb X ..." jokes... Bears do anything they want whenever they want.

Doug

Chip said:
Since 80 or 90% of surviving is mental, it doesn't hurt to have a psychological crutch like a knife or pepper spray, just understand that they probably won't be much help and may even be turned against you in a real event, unless you're combat trained.
In the NE, dull knife or empty cannister might be safer for some people...

I think the best practical "thing" a hiker can carry is a small blast horn. You can get one at one of the "Marts" or at a marina. Blast one of these babies 3 times and you'll be heard and probably scare off anything that's scaring you.
A good suggestion--Herrero reports some researchers working in an Alaskan stream bed using air horns to ward off the bears. The horns could be heard over the stream noise (and did keep the bears away).

Doug

This has come in very useful at times - I have one in my backyard leftover from when I used to be in the kings army. The only problem is weight. It is a bit much to haul around on the trail. :eek: Great workout tho!

I don't really carry any kind of weapon but I figure I could just use my hiking poles to defend myself. I've also been told I can give a pretty mean look so if I come across someone who gives me the willies I just give them "the look" (my husband has another name for it)....I don't think that would work too well though with a bear encounter. As everyone has stated already, common sense and keeping a straight head are key in staying safe.

-MEB

DougPaul said:
A good suggestion--Herrero reports some researchers working in an Alaskan stream bed using air horns to ward off the bears. The horns could be heard over the stream noise (and did keep the bears away).

Doug
When I read that I looked into it. The best is to get a rechargeable horn. Like this. It really works and it's great for near loud streams. We used it while bushwhacking to get above treeline in the CDN Rockies. I wouldn't use one on trails however. Too obnoxious.

I wonder how popular you'd be testing it at 5am in a crowded camping area.

Last edited:
I used to have a pepper spray canister with a holster for quick access. when it cametime to buy a new one ( these are supposed to last 3 years) i decided against paying the $40. I never ran into anything on the trail so I decided I didn't need it. I still have the canister even though it is 6 years old. I take it when I go camping. I figure it may work if I need it,who knows. someday i am going to blast it off to see if it works :cool:

Neil said:
When I read that I looked into it. The best is to get a rechargeable horn. Like this. It really works and it's great for near loud streams. We used it while bushwhacking to get above treeline in the CDN Rockies.
Wasn't aware of the rechargable versions. (Was only aware of the freon powered boat horns or smaller versions for personal use.) Makes sense for heavy use.

I wouldn't use one on trails however. Too obnoxious.
Agreed. However, the OP's original question only suggested emergency use. I suspect the small non-rechargable versions would be more appropriate.

Or in the middle of the night to scare the mouse (that you perceive to be a bear)...

Doug

beverly said:
... 10 essentials ...
It's kind of funny how everyone has 10 different '10 essentials'. :D

And his list is a lot longer than 10! :confused:

And wow, he says he knows 30 ways to start a fire!! :eek:

skibones said:
Does anyone hike with something special for personal safety (gun, tear gas, pepper gas, etc.)

No. As quoted above, if you can't get to it quicky, whatever it is is useless. I already have enough convenience items dangling off my pack without adding an arsenal.

I've mentioned my safety thoughts before way back, but will recap here:

• I only really worry at trailheads. On the way in, I mark a stop stop. On the way out, I drop my pack, find my keys, turn off my headlamp, and quietly get in my car ASAP. Any changing, etc. is done somewhere more public and safe.
  • Creepy People: If I get the creepy vibe, I move on fast and try to stay ahead of 'em. Not easy to do for me, but if I'm motivated, it can be done.
  • Creepy People Two: If anyone wierd asks about your plans, be vauge or lie. Your itinerary is on a need-to-know-basis and those who need to know already do. (Courtesy of PoisonIvy).
  • Critters. I carry bellls, sing, and talk to myself, especially at night. I'd scare away anyone :D

Fortunately, I've had very few encounters over the years with scary people or critters. The tough part is not worrying about it all too much and focusing on what you really need to be focusing on: where you're going.

Adk_dib said:
I used to have a pepper spray canister with a holster for quick access. when it cametime to buy a new one ( these are supposed to last 3 years) i decided against paying the $40. I never ran into anything on the trail so I decided I didn't need it. I still have the canister even though it is 6 years old. I take it when I go camping. I figure it may work if I need it,who knows. someday i am going to blast it off to see if it works :cool:
I have seen recommendations that you not test it. The residue can attract bears. (Weak pepper spray is just hot spice...)

And, of course, some testers get the spray on themselves...

Doug

Neil said:
When I read that I looked into it. The best is to get a rechargeable horn. Like this. It really works and it's great for near loud streams. We used it while bushwhacking to get above treeline in the CDN Rockies. I wouldn't use one on trails however. Too obnoxious.

Let me know if and when you're looking for opportunities to do that. I can make a few suggestions. ;)

I don't really carry anything specifically intended for personal safety. On my last hike, however, I had some dreams the night before I left that weirded me out so I decided to carry a larger folding knife than I usually have.

I normally carry the Gerber Ultralight L.S.T. , but this time I went with my Camillus Cuda MAXX.

Like others have said, it's more of a psychological crutch thing. As it turned out, I was very comfortable and not in the least bit nervous on my first solo overnight. It was a little boring without friends to hang with and talk to, though...

Women....take a RAD class. Call your local PD to find out where they are offered in your area. They even have an advanced one for what to do if someone has a weapon. It only takes a few hours and it could save your life.
I am going to repeat mine this fall because I was injured and could not take the final which I think is critical to the entire process. I cannot say enough about the police who taught it.
You will learn lot and you won't be sorry you did it.

Just my fists of steel. They are registered lethal weapons.

Oh, wait...that's not true. I think I'd go with Sir Robin's "Run away!!!" :D

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I am sensing some paranoia in this thread - the woods of the NE ain't a warzone - yet......

IMO - while hiking, and telling people false or vague plans could be a more of a problem than its worth if you get hurt. safe to assume more of a risk getting hurt and becoming immobile - than getting shot,raped, maimed, beat up, etc.. if this happens and someone thinks you went the other way - your SOL. While I generally do think the majority of people are scumbags in this world :eek: :eek: - I think most hikers are decent, harmless people. :D :D

Delta Air Zounds

Basically a rechargable via a bicycle pump air horn. Doesn't last terribly long per charge but puts out 115db supposedly.

I keep thinking of using one for my commute...

Jay

arghman said:
just a map, compass, raingear, whistle, etc....

Dont know if any other pack makers are doing this now, but my latest osprey packs come with a whistle built into the buckle of the sternum strap..thought that was pretty neat. :D

M

I feel a sense of urgency to get on the trail or into my car when I'm hiking solo, kind of like when you were little and you made a running jump onto your bed so the boogieman wouldn't get you :eek:
The few times that I have hiked solo, I have hiked on well travelled trails. Whether I'm hiking solo or with a group I always carry a whistle, mace and a compass.
kmac

Status
Not open for further replies.