Poll: Where do you hike the most?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you hike the most?

• Whites (NH)

Votes: 72 50.3%
  • Greens (VT)

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Maine

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • ADKs (Northern NY)

Votes: 35 24.5%
  • Catskills (Southern NY)

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Other mountainous places (e.g. Rockies, Alps)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Non-mountainous places (e.g. Rail Trails, beaches)

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I'm interested in where people hike the most. I'm guessing the Whites will 'win' this poll, but you never know. You can vote for more than one if you want.

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Adirondacks on the board with one big vote from me! I'd like to hike other places, they're just too inconvenient for me.

The Whites are the closest for me and so I'm usually up there twice a week if I can get out. I also do a bit in the Greens and in the spring and fall I enjoy take my dog for walks on rail-trails, especially the Rockingham Recreational Trail which I can pick up right in Manchester.

I'd love to try the ADKs sometime but, it's too much of a haul. I'll need to plan a vaca for that and ask for tips when that time comes.

Whites....for now...

I would like to hike them all, but the driving distance is key. Whites equals 2 1/2 hours each way...Greens and Maine are about 4 and the Dax are about 5+. I hope in the future to spend some vacation weeks in the other places so I can explore there as well.

I hike almost exclusively in the Adirondacks due to their location. I live only about 5 miles south of the Blue Line and can get to most of the High Peak trailheads within 90 minutes. I’ve never hiked in the Whites before and probably should once I get over the shock of having to drive for 4 hours to go for a hike.

Living in Southern NY, I usually only do day trips to the Catskills. After that, I usually plan to go somewhere and stay a few days, and hike as much as I can.

Whites and Maine for me, though I love getting out to the ADK's and Green's. Once the crowds start, it is often so nice to walk a Maine trail without seeing another soul. I'll be hiking in Maine 4 of the next 5 weekends (but will cross into NH on one of the hikes)

I voted for 2 places - good option, Tom! The Catskills because they are the closest mountains to me and Maine because it's my favorite place to hike.

Quebec

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I feel it might be related a bit and I didn't see it in the choices for the poll...any of you guys (and gals) ever come up north in Quebec to do some hiking? Granted, the mountains aren't as big, but there are a couple of really good hikes (thinking Mt Megantic for example).

Fish

Parc Forillion and the Chic Choc mountains are really nice in Quebec. I've done some hiking there. Real long drive for me, though! :D

The majority of my hikes are in the Whites. I try to plan a long weekend in either Maine or Vermont each year to hike some new trails and mountains.

I just got back from a trip out west hiking in Zion and Bryce canyons. A fantastic place to hike, however I wouldn't say I regularly hike out there.

Never hiked in NY, but would love to get out there someday.

hikingfish said:
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I feel it might be related a bit and I didn't see it in the choices for the poll...any of you guys (and gals) ever come up north in Quebec to do some hiking? Granted, the mountains aren't as big, but there are a couple of really good hikes (thinking Mt Megantic for example).

Fish
Spent some time in Parc Jacques Cartier North of Quebec city. Loved it?

TenPeaks said:
Never hiked in NY, but would love to get out there someday.
Amen to that! I'm close to the Whites so that's where I hike. Given the amount of free time that I have (little) I could hike something different and new in the Whites for the rest of my life. When the boys are older I'll go further abroad. :cool:

sapblatt said:
I would like to hike them all, but the driving distance is key. Whites equals 2 1/2 hours each way...Greens and Maine are about 4 and the Dax are about 5+. I hope in the future to spend some vacation weeks in the other places so I can explore there as well.

HA..................... lightweight :D :) :D

The Adirondacks are my closest mountains at 5.5 hours (one way) and my most frequent hiking destination. (14-18 trips a year - from 1-7 days at a whack)

Followed by the Catskills (6 hours) and Other closer flatland hikes. At 9 - 13 hours respectively, the Whites and Maine are not frequently visited. In fact, I'v hiked more in Utah and New Mexico than Either NH or ME.