Rainfest at the 'Loaf - 4/1-3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What?! No trip report from the Rainfest at the 'Loaf?!

I'll post my pictures tonight, but where are the stories of skiing the snowfields, drenching rain, flask poles that were manufactured during the Carter administration, chasms being formed by rushing torrents, and a fine showing by the good Doctor?

Thank you Seema, without whom this weekend wouldn't have been necessary.

-dave-

Ok, I only ventured to the edge of the snowfields as conditions were not optimal. I definitely did not get as drenched as some of the others (notably bubba), as I was garbed in the latest Lawn and Leaf "Gore Tex". My flask poles did double duty and required replenishment by 11:15. Dave's Subaru did in fact leap a chasm formed by the torrential rain. I had the best ride to Sugarloaf ever (thanks Chomp and VSA!), had a lot of laughs, bought a lot of beers, a lot of growlers, proved that you CAN ski on 4 hours sleep, and lastly, brought 2 Doctors along - just in case ;)

Those who braved the elements certainly got their money's worth!

Only the hardy could keep up with these toughened VFTT'r gathering goers!! Taking on the slopes of Sugarloaf with only a few hours shuteye is difficult... only to be further dampened by clouds in your face and icing on your goggles (or glasses if your name is Sherpa). So, if you had no mind left... one would never know!! Skiing technique was replaced with survival techniques oft referred to as "skiing by Braille" - sure, easy for Helen to do. bubba sent out whines for the steep and slippery, and finally saw a glimpse with his fearless tele-skiers guides Dave and Seeker!! How does it go that the "experienced skiers" found their way into a boxed-in slope, roped off --> trudged through the woods only to end up on mid-way down a slope with a ski-race in progress?!?!? Priceless... did I mention that we "hiked" up for access to such slopes?? But we found our way to the lift that services the near-top-of-the mountain and proceeded to lose our way back nearly every time (what's another trip down to the bottom where the snow is heavy and the weather wet?) The best news is that we found the BullWinkle Pub for lunch ...all at the same time and got a chance to refuel with alcohol in preparation for the up and coming bad weather!

Now... this is a toss-up. What's better, clouds and snow you can't see in or 200-foot sight distance and being pelted with ice?? The former... it didn't hurt going uphill!! So goes the rest of the early afternoon. The weather deteriorated quickly, fogged up even worse and made heading in before it really "rained" a good idea.

Some of us just can't get enough of a good thing... yours truly. Back to the warm, dry condo just didn't do it, so I had to take the snowboard out and see what was waiting up top... by the time I got to the second lift the top was totally socked in with clouds/fog that I would have been foolhardy for me to take the upper lift. Besides it was now raining wet snow/rain mix -- who'd want to leave this?? I stayed low and headed over to the high-speed quad so I could really get wet at a faster pace! I met a graduate student from Harvard to ride with for a couple runs... thinking that he must have brains and he was out in this mess... encouraging!! His name was Hobie, and Hobie liked to board fast down Black runs. I followed... who really had brains in this park??

Rather than stay around and enjoy the heavy snow conditions any more, I headed back to the party condo... there were things to do there. Munchies, beer, wine, jigsaw puzzles to conquer and people to joke with!! Besides, if we had any brains left we should have considered building an Ark for Sunday.

Seriously... we had partying to do. This was a ski trip... we didn't have to hike up mountains the next day. Our fearless Captain was sure to join us later that evening and we had to be in form. Dinner out at a great restaurant a second evening was the perfect start. When we returned, the party had started and we just had to fall in place. We tell nothin' about anything here... you should have been there...

Next morning... rain. Pouring rain... rain that moved the earth, rain!! No ski in it rain. We were all able to trade in our package-priced lift tickets for a voucher good for one-year at any American Ski company operation (Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Killington, Pico, Mt. Snow, Attitash, and out west - The Canyons and Steamboat). That's a deal for our small investment.

Naturally, we had great times with new and old friends. For anyone not involved, you can't imagine the skillful planning and execution that Seema provided! It was fantastic. MichaelJ presented Seema with a leather-bound photo scrapbook of her 48th peak -- a delightful gift that we could all enjoy. Sherpa, hardcore partier, provided some excellent photo and video views of Baxter and Seeker had some extreme CD's of tele-skiing. The Doctor was there for a few rounds. I know now to see him before I show up at another gathering.

It was worth 1300 miles to play with my hiking friends. It's about them not skiing!! What rain??

Wow, 1300 miles--is that a new record? Bubba, we are truly blessed that you are willing to make the effort. Who said NY ski trip next year?

It was an eventful trip, for sure. And I learned a few things:

I learned that Sugarloaf is a very beautiful place to ski (we actually got views on the first run.)

I learned that the snowfields could be a heck of a lot of fun. If only you could get to them easily!

I learned that I should always listen to Nadine. Doh!

I learned that the good doctor is no friend of mine! <shudder>

And, I learned, no suprise, that this crowd can make champaign out of lemons, given the chance!

Thanks bunches Seema! Always a treat to spend time with this gang!

Freaky!

WHOA! OK, someone explain to me how I could be logged in at my house and show up as Dave Metsky on this forum!! :eek:

The last time it happened, I was on his computer--ooops. But this makes NO sense. I don't even know his password.

But, who am I, really? Who are we all???

David Metsky said:
Thanks bunches Seema! Always a treat to spend time with this gang!

Seeker said:
WHOA! OK, someone explain to me how I could be logged in at my house and show up as Dave Metsky on this forum!! :eek:

The last time it happened, I was on his computer--ooops. But this makes NO sense. I don't even know his password.

But, who am I, really? Who are we all???

Well, at least I am glad to know Dave Metsky didn't say "Thanks bunches" or else I would've had to room him with Sean in the hideaway queen with his gay hat and gay down booties :)

I also had a wonderful time on this trip, spending time with 35 VFTT crazies and their family and friends is always on the top of my list of ways to spend the weekend.

PLEASE, post pictures as I didn't have time to take any :(

We have a number of options for next year's alpine ski gathering . . . Sugarloaf again, Sunday River with Sugarloaf vouchers, Whiteface in NY to take the leather apron away from bubba finally :)

sli74

This is how I keep my postcount high. I go around to other VftT members and log into their machines to set the ID cookie. Mew Ha Ha! <Insert evil laugh here> I will be the #1 poster again!

Sorry, got carried away there.

Anyways, HERE are the photos from the weekend. Captions to come later.

Thanks bunches, oh so much, Seema.

-dave-

Long live the bean pot!

well, Jo and I had a blast. The skiing was actually quite good up high and I particularly enjoyed watching Jo ski very well on only her 2nd time downhill skiing...

The rain can't keep up down...

spencer

Whiteface and the Leather Apron

I'm not sure... talking to Sherpa he said that Whiteface is about six and a half hours. Guess what... same here!!

(for any who are wondering... I am the recipient and current holder of a treasured leather apron that was presented to me by TeeJay at Gathering 7.0 for traveling the furthest to attend the Gathering. There are some bar stories to support a theory about crass women and leather aprons… leading to more VFTT traditions. As custodian of said apron I have to show up on all mountaintops and VFTT gatherings with such… Drive ON!!)

As custodian of said apron I have to show up on all mountaintops and VFTT gatherings with such…
So... did you bring it to the ski gathering? If you had worn in on Saturday, maybe you wouldn't have gotten so wet :p

Look out, though, there is another VFTT apron out there!!! :D

Isn't this a "Trip Report?" Hence.. it belongs in Trip Reports? :p

Sherpa John said:
Isn't this a "Trip Report?" Hence.. it belongs in Trip Reports? :p

It is in Trip Reports...what are you talking about???

Anyway.....how did I end up in pictures???? I don't think I even went there. Well, at least I don't remember being there. Stoopid Doctor.

- darren

Trail conditions: Good snow at higher elevations, significant washouts to the south and east. Lake Farmington clear of ice, but probably poor fishing.

Gear review: New Nikwax application works fairly well despite serious rainfall.

Route finding: Like they said, follow Nadine (Hint: DON'T follow anyone with the word "Mad" in his name!).

Other comments: Thanks--gigantic, huge, enormous thanks to Seema!!!!! Thanks also to excellent roomies Audrey & Pat, Metsky & Christine and MichaelJ, chauffeur Bubba, etc. etc. etc.

Red Sox referefence: Just Wait Til Next Year!

Can't wait to show you guys what a good snow day on the Loaf is like! (Hint: follow Nadine!)

Hmmm... The only pictures that I am in, I have my head burried in a drinking vessel.

Seriously, tho, it was a fantastic time with a great group of people. Not even the bad weather could keep this crew down. I want to especially thank Carmel's friends for deciding not to drive up, since that meant I had a sofa to sleep on, rather than my VAN down by the RIVER. Which, as numberous people pointed out, would have been washed away.

Any news on the gate at Cherry Mountain Road?

I had a:
fantastic
awesome
terrific
sensational
drunken
high-speed
out-of-control

weekend

cruising
carving
eating
drinking
falling
riding
sleeping
and partying

in the company of terrific friends. I can't wait for next winter!

(and I didn't take any pictures this time; slacker me! though somewhere somebody should have an amusing picture of Chomp and I using creative beer glasses)

(and I didn't take any pictures this time; slacker me! though somewhere somebody should have an amusing picture of Chomp and I using creative beer glasses)

I seem to have a vague memory of this... :D

Hi folks! Ah-HA! I've found y'all!!!! :p I'm Seema's co-worker in case u r wondering. Just wanted to tell y'all that I had a *wonderful* time and that you guys are a great group. :D I"m glad I had a chance to meet everyone!