Resuce - hiker flown off Mount Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree that the trailhead elevation/accessibility has much if anything to do with recent SAR matters. First I doubt anyone would link this week's mishap with trailhead access. The poor guy tripped near the summit. Equating that to 'easy' access is a stretch at best. Also, does anyone think more people climb Jefferson vs Washington? I thought Jefferson is usually considered the least accessible of the presidentials? If someone bothers to figure out the vertical rise of a climb and 'venture' off-pavement to the Caps trailhead, that, in my mind, puts them beyond the casual drive-by 'let's take a hike' sort of person.

Thanks, Dave. You are right, of course. Sorry everyone, I had no intention of hijacking this thread. - TCD

can't resist!

Fisher Cat said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. starting elevation is, i believe around 3009. therefore people will quickly do the math and arrive at the "how hard can it be?"conclusion.

I am sure was a recent newspaper article describing an adventurous hike up Jefferson that now has everyone running there ;)

DougG said:
I disagree that the trailhead elevation/accessibility has much if anything to do with recent SAR matters. First I doubt anyone would link this week's mishap with trailhead access. The poor guy tripped near the summit. Equating that to 'easy' access is a stretch at best. Also, does anyone think more people climb Jefferson vs Washington? I thought Jefferson is usually considered the least accessible of the presidentials? If someone bothers to figure out the vertical rise of a climb and 'venture' off-pavement to the Caps trailhead, that, in my mind, puts them beyond the casual drive-by 'let's take a hike' sort of person.

Just a hypothesis...obviously the people cited in this article were prepared. I've only hiked Jackson/Pierce/Eisenhower/Monroe/Jefferson on that range and based upon what I saw, it seemed there more people in over their heads on the Caps Ridge trail than I saw on Jackson/Crawford/Edmands. Again, just a hypothesis based upon my limited observations. For someone who doesn't know much about hiking, a 5ish mile RT hike to a 5,000 footer might seem more attractive on paper than a 8-9ish mile RT hike with roughly the same vertical to a 4,000 footer (there are plenty of people out there who don't know what vertical ascent/vertical drop (the latter used in alpine skiing) really are.

rocket21 said:
For someone who doesn't know much about hiking, a 5ish mile RT hike to a 5,000 footer might seem more attractive on paper than a 8-9ish mile RT hike with roughly the same vertical to a 4,000 footer (there are plenty of people out there who don't know what vertical ascent/vertical drop (the latter used in alpine skiing) really are.

fwiw (and I'm not saying this has any bearing on how many accidents there have been on Jeff this year), I can vouch for this. I had a conversation with someone this spring who was planning to do Caps Ridge up Jefferson, despite a perpetually injured ankle and a history of trouble with rocks. When I suggested Caps Ridge might not be the best trail choice, they pointed to the distance as their reason for thinking it would be "easy enough."

Found another article from NH Fish & Game. not much new.Injured Hiker Rescued from Mount Jefferson

CONCORD, N.H. - An injured hiker was airlifted off Mount Jefferson in New Hampshire's White Mountains this morning (Tuesday, August 28, 2007). Quentas Chess, age 53, of Mamaroneck, NY, had been hiking with three companions on the Jefferson Loop Trail when he was injured after tripping and falling face-first onto a rocky area.

The injury occurred at approximately 4 p.m. yesterday (August 27, 2007). The injured man's hiking party included his brother, a doctor, who was able to stabilize his condition and secure him in a tent while they attempted to call for help. At about 7 p.m. they notified the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department via cell phone that their injured companion was unable to walk down the mountain.

Rescuers set off at daylight today (August 28, 2007) to locate the hiking party. A team of two N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers - paramedic Brad Morse and first-responder Mark Ober - along with Mike Pelchat of the Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue team and N.H. State Parks, hiked out from the summit of Mount Washington. An Army National Guard helicopter was called in to assist with the evacuation.

At approximately 8:30 a.m., Chess was airlifted off the mountain by the Army National Guard helicopter. He was then transported by ambulance to Concord Hospital.

No further information is available at this time.

IMO some validity for the higher trailhead argument as a few more people may go there. It does not sway the vast majority or have any impact in this case, this is a fall, could happen anywhere, had he got his hand out in front of him & stopped his face from breaking his fall, likely a non-event

I'd wager many of beginning White Mountain hikers who don't stop here for their info try some of these below as first peaks: (I wonder if the WMG could have a small appendix on first 4K's to try, seperate from easy to mod hike sections in each section & descriptions that tell people which trails are bad WHich are easier?)

Washington, popular because you only have to go up (or down) for those who don't care about the FTFC. The majority of the population (not the smart folks here) think It's the tallest & baddest

After that Tecumseh probably gets some traffic from beginners, it's the lowest. some people may equate lower to easier, after all the tallest one is the baddest one.

Franoconia Loop, in summer & early this trailhead is overfilled, from the south, it's pretty easy to get too. I've seen it recommended in Walking magazine & other non-hiking places, if you asked me my favorite hike I'd say this one too. (I'd try & go off season or mid-week) It tends to get it's fair share of accidents, especially near & in winter, after, all "it's not in the Presidentials"...

After that there is something to be said about a 3,000 foot trailhead, a 2.5 hike & only 2700 of elevation gain. Compare that with the Tuckerman's trip 4.4 or so & 4200 of elevation gain. If you are just beginning that sounds pretty easy. I think Ike up Edmands is longer with about the same elevation gain too, trail conditions are very different though

You don't see many rescues on Shelborne Moriah, Zealand, South Carter & probably a few more. They don't generate traffic because they either are not on a list or only appeal to people chasing the list & usually are not anyone's first peak either. (probably not first 10 in many case)

Mike P. said:
You don't see many rescues on ... Zealand...
... because there's not much reason to go there, and the traffic on the Twinway is mostly AT or hut-to-hut groups. At least that was my observation yesterday. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a few hiker carcasses on the Zealand spur :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. You make a good point.)

Fisher Cat said:
Seems to me that Mt. Jeff has had quite a few incidents this year. is it me, or has anyone else noticed it?
Statistical aberration. If there were 10 rescues one year and then 150 the next, that could be significant. However 2 this year then 9 the next has more to do with luck (or lack thereof considering it's an injury).

It's an area where accidents can happen walking around jagged rocks like that. You have an additional 5 people who put there foot in the wrong place and suddenly you have 5 more rescues to report on this site. It could be an indication of something else but I wouldn't say that it has statistical significance.

-Dr. Wu

On the least accessible peak, I'd disagree, Jewell & Cap's Ridge. In winter it used to be least accessible when Base Road was closed.

In winter it's still not easy but Zealand & Bonds probably harder, more exposed than Zealand & rock fragments not as easy to walk on than trails on Bonds although can fill some of those in. (of the 14 or so I have left in winter these five are on the list, hopefully get a good day this year to knock Jefferson off)

OK, so its just me then. But one has to admit that the one earlier this year with the dad and daughter from PA was a classic "where are we & what do we do now ?"scenario.
BTW dr wu-we just got a Maine Coon, name is Baxter Algonquin Penobscot

Update

A friend of mine from MW who has done a lot of rescues in his career sent me this report and link.

"The hiker who smacked his eye by falling face first without even outstretching a hand to help break the fall, looked a lot worse in person. He lost sight in that eye, maybe a detached retina too, hope he'll recover his sight, haven't heard yet. I may have to pull this clip if F&G thinks its not PC due to HEPA rules but its up for now."

Jefferson rescue on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zopIY_q8s

Thank God for people like Mike Pelchat and others who make up the rescue teams and especially NH Fish and Game, who lead all rescues! A tip of the hat to NHANG, too, without whom this quick medivac flight would have been impossible! A stumble like this could have happened to any one of us!

KDT

Last edited:
Did you see that two people had to be rescued this weekend? "Using the light from their cell phones, Corwin and MacLean were able to find the intersection of the Castle and Link trails." They called successfully for assistance. They climbed Washington via Ammonoosuc. Their plan had been to go down Jewel but they missed it.

Kevin said:
A friend of mine from MW who has done a lot of rescues in his career sent me this report and link.

"The hiker who smacked his eye by falling face first without even outstretching a hand to help break the fall, looked a lot worse in person. He lost sight in that eye, maybe a detached retina too, hope he'll recover his sight, haven't heard yet."
KDT

Yowzers! That hurts just to think about.

Often, I think cell phones are a crutch and people use them as a first resort, rather than a last (apparently not the case in this instance). Thus, I'm not one to encourage people to carry them in the backcountry.

chipc said:
I am sure was a recent newspaper article describing an adventurous hike up Jefferson that now has everyone running there ;)

I climbed Caps a while before that article came out and 50 people were on the trail. There were also people there who didn't know it was hard. No one can come up with a guage on how an article effects numbers.

rocket21 said:
Jefferson strikes again, fortunately no injuries

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18398

That article has nothing to do with popularity derived dangers of Jefferson or caps ridge. The fact that the hikers used it as a bailout after missing the turn onto Jewell would actually suggest the opposite. The hikers were clearly hiking Washington in a loop, got lost and were rescued at a junction north of Jefferson. Hardly something I would call "Jefferson strikes again". :eek: