Shoe Repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugach001

Reaction score
Does everyone notice how shoe quality has declined over the last 20 years? The last few years especially I have experienced lots of sole delaminations and am struggling to do a quality repair job. Shoe Goo has disappointed me on large scale repairs because it just doesn't bond well enough. Gorilla Glue is stiff and does not flex properly. I've tried a few other random adhesives but nothing has provided the flexibility of shoe goo with some real strength. Is there anything out there? Any suggestions? And, obtw, I am prepping my surfaces very thoroughly with alcohol, sand paper and files.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I've been to 3 hardware stores and home depot and can't find it. It is available online but it seems silly to pay shipping on a tube of glue. Is this something that is usually in the stores, should I look harder?

Thanks,

In my opinion (but shared by MEC), shoe and boot quality declined with the transfer of production off-shore. I got my daughter a great pair of boots at a fantastic price because the European supplier was shipping production off-shore and MEC would not sell their products any more. I make a point of buying European and North American, except for sneakers/joggers for which I have low expectations or requirements.

Please don't get me wrong, I would happily buy a product made off-shore if it carried its own name and made its own reputation, such as Honda, Mitsubishi, et c. But when a company, Canadian, American or European, puts their own people out of work to cheapen production costs and their product whilst trying to maintain, or profit by, the reputation they built at home I get off the boat.

When I worked at Ace they were happy to special order something. It would come in on the regular order so you would just have to wait until they got it in.

Things may work different at other hardware stores but this was 8 years ago or so in Lee/Newmarket/Durham when they were Ace (and before the Durham one was turned into an apartment building).

I have two pair of Limmer Custom Standards, one pair made in 1980, and another pair I had made two years ago. The boots seem the same, but the lace loops are definitely made of thinner metal on the 2010 pair. They have bent a couple of times while I don't recall ever bending the hooks on my old pair. The old pair cost $160, the new $650. My next pair will be ordered around the year 2040 for my 100th birthday. You are all invited to the party!

Is there anything out there? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you taken them to a local Cobbler ? Ours is where I get my custom orthotics made. Guy is old school and will replace heels of hiking boots with Vibram for $25. I know some boots now can't have the entire sole replaced.
You should never ask for the soul to be replaced. Worth checking into. You'll spend that much money and energy with the glues.

Last edited:
Though I've got an old shoe last passed down from a generation more self reliant and versatile than today, I would never attempt a repair on hiking boots ... it just wouldn't ... last, as some have experienced. I send it to a professional/craftsman who'll provide some guarantee of their work. Dependable footwear is too important to a successful hike.

I've replaced the soles several times on three different pairs of Vasques, once under a warranty, and there was no failure in either the bond or the watertight integrity of the boot. I replaced the soles primarily for better traction when they wore out. I maintain the boots as long as the shank offers the support my feet insist on.

BTW, the boots I owned were made in Italy and the mfr. had recommended certain cobblers for routine repairs and warranty work. Now that their boots are made in China they simply replace the boot, at least that was their policy a few years ago. LLBean has good hiking boots made in Italy, not as lightweight as the Vasque, but I'd take an Italian made LLBean over a China made Vasque.

Mine is 2048, but I'll gladly go to yours, Hillwalker.

Thanks for the beta, Stan. Cabela's have Meindl hiking boots made in Germany for 229CAD! My boots are Zamberlan and Lowa's are availble locally. Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford Limners until at least 2048.