Snowtires For Car

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I have a '98 saturn sl -- just a smallish sedan. I use it both as a commuter car (350 miles/week -- all highway) and as my transportation to the mountains (usually 200 - 500 miles/trip). My question is this: I've already gone off the freakin' road once in this thing (on Rt. 118 coming off Moosilauke) and then almost did it again last year (same road). Should I get snow tires? Will I just destroy them with my daily commute to work? I'm not anticipating snow to be much of an issue (again) this year for my commute. And don't give me that "you have to go over Mt. Tom" business because A. they close it and B. it has never been a problem before -- wimpy road. I'm more concerned with these weird roads and stuff in the Whites where my car seems overly attracted to ditches and gullies.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

-Dr. Wu

kwc said:
what kind of tires do you have on the car now?
Some sort of basic, all-weather tire -- about 1.5 years old. I believe they're made of rubber.

-Dr. Wu

Are they round or square? ;)

You can just get snow tires for the times of the year it snows. You can still commute with snow tires, they still work if it's not snowing. Road noise might be louder but hey, just crank up the 8-track, bro!

If you win the lottery, you can even get snow tire and steel rim packages for your Saturn from various places and then all you'd have to do is change the rims with the tires, check the pressure and go. otherwise, you'll have to mount and balance the snow tires and change them over twice a year..usually anywhere from $11-$15 per tire for the mount and balance...

Jay

That's what we do with both cars now. My wife commutes about 30 miles each way on poorly maintained roads, which often have water ice on them ("Salt reduction is in effect.") Hence, studded snow tires (Stabilicers for the car). (By law, they can only be on 11/1 - 4/30, or something like that.) Initial investment in a second set of tires for each car hurts, but they last a while.

Snow Tires

I had a 2001 Saturn 4dr sedan. I used four studded winter tires and found that it helped alot (especially on gravel roads covered with ice and water. My travels included several trips to Maine/NH in winter.

Top of the line passenger snow tire, if you can pronounce the name they enter your name for a free set of tire raffle.

HAKKAPELIITTA

Might cost more then the value of your Saturn.

DaveSunRa said:
Top of the line passenger snow tire, if you can pronounce the name they enter your name for a free set of tire raffle.

HAKKAPELIITTA

I too have heard these are the top of the line winter tires.

I however use Winterforce tires, they're relatively cheap and I'm going into my 3rd season with them (my commute is only 10 mi each way). I drive a Hyundai Elantra and they make my car a tank in the snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M+S

I highly recommend checking out ebay (or junkyards) for a 2nd set of wheels, if you get them cheap enough they offset the costs of swapping the tires in a few years (Figure $80/year minimum for the tire swap)

I have winterforce tires now (on an AWD rav4), and I think they are a decent choice for true snow tires on a budget. But my impression is that they are also loud and that the rubber is soft (a good thing in a snow tire).

For your use, which is borderline for needing a snowtire, I would consider getting something like the much more expensive aggressive, all season but capable of winter performance, tires like the Nokian WR or RSI. The versions have changed over the years, but I had those on my old saturn SL2 and ran them year round, and they worked pretty well in the winter. Not nearly as good as Hakka's, but much better than the average all season radial.

DaveSunRa said:

HAKKAPELIITTA

My Saturn is probably worth about $12 at this point. Although I hope to get another 5 years (or 150,000 miles) out of it. Still gets 38 mpg and has dog vomit in the back seat. Can't beat that.

michaelb said:
I have winterforce tires now (on an AWD rav4), and I think they are a decent choice for true snow tires on a budget. But my impression is that they are also loud and that the rubber is soft (a good thing in a snow tire).

For your use, which is borderline for needing a snowtire, I would consider getting something like the much more expensive aggressive, all season but capable of winter performance, tires like the Nokian WR or RSI. The versions have changed over the years, but I had those on my old saturn SL2 and ran them year round, and they worked pretty well in the winter. Not nearly as good as Hakka's, but much better than the average all season radial.
Yeah, that's one of the questions that I have: do I even need snow tires at all? The tires I have on my car now suck. When they were less than 1 year old I almost went off the road on Moosilauke -- and I was (actually) driving cautious and not like my usual Masshole self. But does that necessarily mean that I need snow tires? I got this idea in my head because one time some dude called Car Talk asking if he needed snow tires for New England, and the Car Talk Guys were like, "well, no but say you go every weekend in the winter to the White Mountains, then yes!" And I trust Click and Clack!

-Dr. Wu

If there's ice on the road, virtually nothing helps except slowing down to 0 m.p.h. Studs may even make ice driving more tricky, I've found. I went back to them recently and don't think they're worth it. I've used everything from budget Winterforces to Hakkas, the latter because they were the only snows I could find to fit on one car. I expect the Hakkas are probably better, although I'm not totally convinced. (There's a lot of hype in snow tire ads.) But I am fairly certain that even budget snows are better than no snows at all. I can hardly speak for everyone who lives in the Whites, but most people I know use them if they can afford them. You could use chains or cables for tough drives. Cable chains don't cost much. But if you want a truly miserable experience, lie in the slush and snow beside your car and freeze your fingers off trying to put those things on.

118 can be a tough drive; it simply doesn't get the attention that nearby roads like 112 do. You can always expect to have fun up there in or after a storm. I'd second the suggestions to get an extra set of winter rims provided you plan to keep the car more than two years. The old snow rims never fit the next car, of course.

Is your Saturn AWD or 4WD? It's not bullet proof but certainly helps.

P.S. Expensive Hakkas are loud too, regardless of what the ads claim. Remember that the claims are based on the recommended slow maximum speeds for snows. Run them up to 65 on a freeway and they sing just as loud as Winterforces.

Last edited:
On front wheel drive cars that I've owned, I run studded snows on the front and I can get up anything. I run them to commute and travel whenever and get around 2 seasons from them. I don't buy premium brands, rather whatever I can get a good deal on. The important issue is that you get them off as early as you can in the spring - the compound is made for colder weather driving and hotter weather will eat them up! (Studded tires will also prevent you from heading over to Ontario, CDN)

My Finnish matrilineage compels me to rise to the defense of the Hakkapeliittas. Among the cognoscenti in Anchorage, they're very well regarded. (The rest of the populace was in the ditch on Sunday, trying to get to the tire store.) We had a set and were pleased with them.

Yup, they're pricey -- not sure I'd hang 'em on that Saturn. But as for winter tires generally, recall what the guy in the news article said about his decision to forgo studded tires and use his all season ones in AK: "I decided, OK, why not save the $500," he said. "That was a bad idea, because my deductible's $500." :(

bubba said:
On front wheel drive cars that I've owned, I run studded snows on the front and I can get up anything.
The general advice is not to put snows only on the front. It makes the rear wheels more likely to skid out in a turn or under braking.

Doug

I've used Blizzaks for years (winter only) and they've gotten me everywhere I wanted to go. But then again.... I know diddly about tires.

DougPaul said:
The general advice is not to put snows only on the front. It makes the rear wheels more likely to skid out in a turn or under braking.

Doug
Never had that problem, but I never drove "large" cars that may tend to come around. With studs, a bit of acceleration digs them into the turn... in my experience. (Note: I lived on top of a hill outside of Buffalo, NY in Colden, NY -- self proclaimed "Snow Capital of WNY". Any discussion of "Snow Belt" meant where I called HOME!!)

I'll consider myself an expert on the subject. Maybe nobody else will, but it matters not. :p (Twenty years and never got stuck... well, except in my 200 foot driveway - but that's another issue!)

I have a set of Blizzaks for by Subaru that works fine. They are a bit soft so they wear out faster so make sure you change them out as soon as the conditions allow you to. (i.e. don't run them year round).

I have studded tires for my bike but not for my car... Go figure. :)

jay

I've used Hakkapeliittas, both studded and unstudded - excellent tires, but a bit pricey. Also had good experience with the BF Goodrich winter tire which Costco's sell. It's a bit more reasonable than the Hakkapeliittas.

One thing to keep in mind if you want studded tires - nearly all snow tires can be studded, but not all dealers (like many/most Costco's) carry the studded version. So, if you buy a tire and plan to get it studded, make sure that happens BEFORE the tire's driven. Most places insert studs in new tires only.

i bought new snows and then the next day spun off the road in twin mountain couple years ago..scary. my honda civic doesnt seem that good in the snow. i was told studs were best..getting different opinions here...

First of all, thank you for all your replies. I appreciate the information.

Second, a quick question: studs or no studs?

-Dr. Wu