Solution to Clay/Reagan Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveHiker said:
so that would mean the Adams Family should really be the Jeffersons!

JQ Adams should be George and Sam Adams should be Weezie.

Adams 4 and 5 would be Jefferson 4 and 5, or maybe Lionel and Florence.

That explains why had that song running through my head last time I hiked it...."We're moving on up..." Thanks for the explanation.

All presidents are "controversial" during their time. A century from now, the current name will be forgotten and the new name will be of no consequence.

For me, it's just a stunningly beautiful place to be, especially around sunrise and sunset, despite what current hikers call it.

happy trails :)

carole said:
Those interested in naming mountains might enjoy this article.
(May 2001 - page 6)
http://www.wodc.org/newsletter/2001-05.pdf
Cute, too bad he isn't still around to deal with Faraway Mtn :)

Apparently some folks are still committed to calling it "Mt Reagan". When I got home from voting in the Democratic primary, I found a letter inviting me to a reception with NH Republican candidates:
Regular admission was $75
$1000 Mt Eisenhower
$2500 Mt Reagan
$5000 Mt Washington
(haven't these folks heard of Mt Lincoln?)

Does the Democratic reception sell Mt Clay tickets?

Henry Clay was the founder of the Whig Party, something Democrats might still be bitter about. And Franklin Pierce isn't exactly someone Democrats (or Republicans) probably want to be associated with these days either.

-Dr. Wu

RoySwkr said:
Cute, too bad he isn't still around to deal with Faraway Mtn :)

Apparently some folks are still committed to calling it "Mt Reagan". When I got home from voting in the Democratic primary, I found a letter inviting me to a reception with NH Republican candidates:
Regular admission was $75
$1000 Mt Eisenhower
$2500 Mt Reagan
$5000 Mt Washington
(haven't these folks heard of Mt Lincoln?)

Does the Democratic reception sell Mt Clay tickets?

Quietman said:
Since Mt. Regan isn't official, the democrats would probably sell Mt. Clinton tickets!
Except Mt. Clinton (and Mt. Jackson) weren't actually named for the prominent Democrats. Jefferson is probably the closest as you can make some weak-ish arguments that the Democratic-Republican Party was an early precursor to the Democratic Party. But Republicans also lay heritage claims to Jefferson as well.

-Dr. Wu

CA news

A Christian who was opposed to the name of Mt Diablo (Spanish for devil) near San Francisco suggested that it should be changed to Mt Reagan. Another proposal was to name it for John Muir. The county supervisors rejected both of these eminent Californians, although some people probably feel the present name could be applied to either :)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...es-opposing-efforts-to-change-the-name-o.html

Negrohead Mountain in the Santa Monica Mountains was recently renamed to honor John Ballard, a former slave who lived on the mountain. Seems like NH was 40 years ahead on this :)

I suppose a new thread should be started on whether or not to drop Grant from the $50 in place of Reagan.