Solution to Clay/Reagan Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Walking around in the Presidentials always gets me thinking that there are a few names missing. First of all, the extraneous Adams summits (Adams 4 and Adams 5) should be renamed Abigail Adams and Charles Francis Adams (JQA's son), both of whom played a significant role (in the context of the Adams Family) in American History.

Clay/Reagan also bothers me... Clay because it is so out of context: Henry Clay was a 19th century politician and had no association really with any of the presidents in the Presidential Range except Pierce, maybe. Putting aside Reagan's* politics, he's such a recent president so people are going to feel strongly for or against having the peak called "Reagan" as they would it being called "Clinton." In 100 or 200 years people would probably forget how polarizing a president both of them were so it wouldn't matter. Despite the fact that Jackson isn't named after Andrew Jackson, if indeed it were (as many people probably believe) few would object despite the fact that besides Abe Lincoln, no 19th century president was so loved/hated/controversial as Jackson was.

I think a better name for Clay/Reagan would be "Hamilton" named after non-president but highly significant founding father, Alexander Hamilton (who was also an enormously polarizing figure but who cares today). Clay wasn't a president anyway (and never will be) and we already have a non-president Presidential (Franklin) and more importantly the shoulder peak of Washington provides good context because Hamilton was very close to Washington, particularly during the Revolutionary War when Washington was known as General Washington (whom the mountain is actually named after) and Hamilton was basically his right-hand-man.

I realize that this is idle speculation because the Federal Government doesn't like to change names of mountains often and despite the fact that he's on the $10 bill, Alexander Hamilton's name is slowly being forgotten or relegated to that of "the guy who got killed in a duel with Aaron Burr". But I think it would be neat to kind of round off the main Presidentials in terms of the real founding fathers (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Hamilton, Madison, and errr Monroe). and to clean up some of the less imaginative names like Adams 4 and Adams 5 with something a bit more historically relevant.

*Disclaimer: notice I didn't mention Reagan's politics, let's keep it that way. I simply think that any recent 2-term president (Johnson, Nixon (1.5 term), Reagan, Clinton) is going to have passionate supporters and detractors. Let's avoid politics in this thread.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I don't know if this happens to be the intent, but if this is for name suggestions, how about naming it after a NH native/hero like John Stark? (prejudiced in that leaning as I am-see signature)Not even the highest point in Stark, NH is named after him, I believe its Mt Hutchins or something like that. That way when people ask they get a hiking and history explanation.

Fisher Cat said:
I don't know if this happens to be the intent, but if this is for name suggestions, how about naming it after a NH native/hero like John Stark? (prejudiced in that leaning as I am-see signature)Not even the highest point in Stark, NH is named after him, I believe its Mt Hutchins or something like that. That way when people ask they get a hiking and history explanation.
Possibly, although some of the more obscure names of the mountains (ie. Hight and Carter Dome -- named after hunters, I think?) are quite entertaining. I just think that Adams 4/5 is unimaginative (and unhistorical), Clay is totally out of context and Reagan inappropriate due to the close proximity to his presidency.

Unlike changing Boott Spur to Reagan -- which was the original plan and a bad one in my opinion -- the name "Boott" would quickly be lost to obscurity while Clay's name isn't going anywhere due to his historical impact in 19th century American politics. Carrigain, Boott, Vose, Tuckerman, Huntington -- these are not necessarily the most important names, historically, but they are quirky and I'd hate to see them lost as these are probably the only contexts in which they will be remembered. Nobody is going to forget Reagan or Clinton or even John Stark anytime soon. Although I can see your point about Stark.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Personally? I don't think Mt Clay is a problem in need of a solution.

Unless someone decides it's important to name all the peaks on that range after Presidents themselves,* why change? Clay was at least a prominent politician - it's not like someone dropped a "Mt. Oprah" in the middle of the ridge.

*still pointless, imo, and guaranteed to open up an ugly can of worms for political reasons.

I have no problem with having a Mt. Reagan and look forward to climbing it when the name change takes place. Mt. Eisenhower was named after Ike not too long after his time in office (relatively). Also, we already had a Mt. Clinton, but apparently New Hampshire's Congress decided they liked Franklin Pierce better than Bill Clinton :)

Henry Clay was a frequent partner with Daniel Webster in the great political issues of the day. I don't know the history of naming Mt Clay, but I've always thought the name was perfectly in context, across the divide (more or less) from Webster.

random curiosity - anyone know what Ike was called previously?

rocket, you're probably not the only one who'd be happy to see a Mt Reagan. I'm probably not the only one who'd refuse to recognize the change. IMO, that's part of the problem with making such changes now, Eisenhower not withstanding. Reagan, like Clinton, is still a very polarizing figure.

It could be partly that we live in a different age (Mt FDR, anyone?), but I don't get the sense that Ike was as polarizing a figure at the time.

rocket21 said:
Also, we already had a Mt. Clinton, but apparently New Hampshire's Congress decided they liked Franklin Pierce better than Bill Clinton :)

Mt. Clinton was not named after Bill Clinton!

Just as reminder of the original intent of the thread folks...

dr_wu002 said:
*Disclaimer: notice I didn't mention Reagan's politics, let's keep it that way. I simply think that any recent 2-term president (Johnson, Nixon (1.5 term), Reagan, Clinton) is going to have passionate supporters and detractors. Let's avoid politics in this thread.

I'd hate to see this turn into an anti-Reagan thread.

<Moderator Hat>
This problem is grounded in politics, so it's hard to discuss without mentioning it. I'm not really sure what the "problem" is, other then different people refer to the same peak with different names. It hasn't been a real problem for Pierce/Clinton for nearly 100 years I don't see why it would be a problem now.

However, everyone is well aware of the controversy related to environmental practices of the Reagan administration. There's no need to rehash them here. </Moderator Hat>

David Metsky said:
<Moderator Hat>
This problem is grounded in politics, so it's hard to discuss without mentioning it. I'm not really sure what the "problem" is, other then different people refer to the same peak with different names. It hasn't been a real problem for Pierce/Clinton for nearly 100 years I don't see why it would be a problem now.

However, everyone is well aware of the controversy related to environmental practices of the Reagan administration. There's no need to rehash them here. </Moderator Hat>
Which is why calling it Mt. Hamilton is a good, dark horse candidate.

-Dr. Wu

Gris said:
Mt. Pleasant? or was it Pleasant Dome...?

As a previous poster noted the name Mt. Clinton was not after big Bill.
Correct, DeWitt Clinton, former governor of New York. And, I believe it (Eisenhower) was Pleasant Dome. Check old maps.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
To the extent it really matters what they call a given mountain I'd prefer, out of some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder I suppose, that all the Presidentials be named after, well, a President.

As for one President or another, we can have our say in whom we support and vote for but let's be adult enough to respect whoever achieves the office and not bicker about whether we like the person enough to accept that name on a mountain.

There's more important stuff to bicker about ... like cell phones, post holers and snorers ...