Sorry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Funny Stories (the thread formerly known as "Sorry")

A note of apology for a short-lived thread I recently started. If you missed it, you didn't miss much. If you saw it, let me clarify. What I meant by "horror stories" was not people getting frostbite or getting otherwise seriously hurt. I meant leaky tents in a downpour, or blowing out a backpack shoulder strap 5 miles from the car, and other types of tales that are bad at the time but funny in the re-telling. Anyway, in light of the fact that some of the regulars here have been seriously hurt recently, my choice of words was poor. Unintentional, but poor. Sorry about that. In any case, re-reading the original post gave me a better perspective, so I did some self-moderator duties and deleted the thread. Happy trails, and a speedy recovery to those on the mend.

Last edited:
dvbl said:
.What I meant by "horror stories" was not people getting frostbite or getting otherwise seriously hurt. I meant leaky tents in a downpour, or blowing out a backpack shoulder strap 5 miles from the car, and other types of tales that are bad at the time but funny in the re-telling.

Well, I actually understood your question to mean exactly this. I was only sorry not to have enough experiences yet to share. Someday soon, I bet... :p

Best,

dvbl said:
A note of apology for a short-lived thread I recently started. If you missed it, you didn't miss much. If you saw it, let me clarify. What I meant by "horror stories" was not people getting frostbite or getting otherwise seriously hurt. I meant leaky tents in a downpour, or blowing out a backpack shoulder strap 5 miles from the car, and other types of tales that are bad at the time but funny in the re-telling. Anyway, in light of the fact that some of the regulars here have been seriously hurt recently, my choice of words was poor. Unintentional, but poor. Sorry about that. In any case, re-reading the original post gave me a better perspective, so I did some self-moderator duties and deleted the thread. Happy trails, and a speedy recovery to those on the mend.
As one of the recently injured, I wasn't bothered by the topic--I just figured it was another of those "I'm bored, so I'm trying to stir up some entertainment" threads. I just figured I had better things to do (like be bored on my own...) and moved on.

Doug

Reactions: dms
Bright idea for a thread, I thought

DougPaul said:
As one of the recently injured, I wasn't bothered by the topic--I just figured it was another of those "I'm bored, so I'm trying to stir up some entertainment" threads. I just figured I had better things to do (like be bored on my own...) and moved on.

Come now, Doug, let's be open-minded and nice even... :eek:

Though I am sensitive to you and your recent accident, I actually thought it was a bright idea for a thread and looked forward to reading entries of others' experiences to see how I might learn from these. Yep, that's was my take.

DougPaul said:

Doug

I didn't realize you too had been recently injured. Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get well soon.

And yeah, you nailed it. I was trying to create an entertaining thread. Imagine that...trying to provide some entertainment on an outdoors website. I can't imagine what came over me.

perhaps you should re-word and re-start, call it something like "oops", or a less harsh wording than "horror stories"

I think those kinds of humorous mishaps sounds like a really fun thread!

dvbl said:
I didn't realize you too had been recently injured. Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get well soon.
Thanks. A freak accident--broken leg and wrist while BC skiing. There is a thread over in trip reports.

And yeah, you nailed it. I was trying to create an entertaining thread. Imagine that...trying to provide some entertainment on an outdoors website. I can't imagine what came over me.
Not a problem. I usually focus on more information oriented threads, but to each his own. There are lots of books focusing on epics, accidents, etc. They often make better reading than "we went on a trip and had no problems"...

Doug

Pamola said:
I come to this site for both entertainment and information. The balance of the two is what keeps me coming back day after day.
I, for one, wish the "balance" included more information, less Web 2 social networking type of fluff. After all, long ago and far away, this site started out as rec.backcountry.useful.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I, for one, wish the "balance" included more information, less Web 2 social networking type of fluff. After all, long ago and far away, this site started out as rec.backcountry.useful.
Mohamed:

Very well, put. But please do note that this forum, in particular, is very large with thousands of members of varying expertise in mountaineering. So, while some may regard certain threads or particular posts as lacking quality information, for other folks, such as me (and I am not ashamed to admit it) who are much, much less experienced, these posts can be very valuable, easy to comprehend even and quite helpful in our growth as outdoorsmen. On the social aspect of posts or threads, I also value these because I feel that if we were only strictly information-driven, how then would we convey the passionate aspects of our outdoor pursuits or the heartwarming and sometimes very personal experiences that we have and want to share with others for their enjoyment as well?

Last edited:
Here's a thread of follies In it I posted about the "Mt Monroe Meltdown". It was so epic, I named the hike. :eek: If there was a video of my hike, it would extemely entertaining, although I actually relived my childhood and promised to live my life better if I survived, etc.

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
Mohamed Ellozy said:

Sounds kind of grumpy to me! :rolleyes: I think this site is still very useful and I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into maintaining it!

I find the social networking the best thing about this site as it has introduced me to a lot of other hikers, kayakers, outdoors lovers, etc! I have met many folks from all over the world and shared many great outdoor experiences with them because of this site.....

I guess some here might consider sharing their love of the outdoors and meeting people to hike with "fluff" ..... whatever..... :rolleyes: I guess it takes all kinds to make a world, lol. :D

Let's face it. There was nothing at all inappropriate about the thread. I've stopped posting here (yes moderators, please kill my membership now) because people are just too damn sensitive around here and the first time anyone gets a little off topic or tries to have some fun people, moderators included, start crying about it. Stupid. This is the first time I've even checked out the site in weeks and one of the first things I see is someone defending themselves for something harmless. Get over yourselves and go take a walk in the woods, and if that doesn't make you happy then don't come back out.

catskillclimber said:
Let's face it. There was nothing at all inappropriate about the thread. I've stopped posting here (yes moderators, please kill my membership now) because people are just too damn sensitive around here and the first time anyone gets a little off topic or tries to have some fun people, moderators included, start crying about it. Stupid. This is the first time I've even checked out the site in weeks and one of the first things I see is someone defending themselves for something harmless. Get over yourselves and go take a walk in the woods, and if that doesn't make you happy then don't come back out.

Wow, cranky aren't you? :eek:
For the record before you make blanket judgements here, the original poster of this thread, SELF-moderated and deleted his thread. Noone asked him to do it or complained and forced him to do it. Secondly, if this site is too sensitive for you and causes so much disgust, maybe a walk in the woods is what the doctor ordered for you . . . but please do come back out, even if the grumpiness hasn't worn off ;) ;)

No board is perfect and no community is going to fit everyone's needs all the time. Take what you like and leave the rest, life is too short.

As far as the social aspect of this board, I gotta agree with FF that the social aspect is a wonderful supplement to the amazing knowledge and fun and friendly and helpful environment on this board. I know that some of my closest and most amazing friends have been a result of VFTT and for that I am forever grateful.

Smile, everyone . . . we are lucky to be healthy and happy and able to pursue our passion for the outdoors. :D

sli74

funkyfreddy said:
I find the social networking the best thing about this site as it has introduced me to a lot of other hikers, kayakers, outdoors lovers, etc! I have met many folks from all over the world and shared many great outdoor experiences with them because of this site.....

stop it - no fun, no socializing :eek: this is serious business, this walking in the woods.

sli74 said:
BTW, for the record, I don't think there was anything inappropriate or offensive about the topic and I don't think there was any reason to delete it or apologize for it . . . :D :D

I am offended that your not offended or are you offended? what is this thread about? Where am I? What just happened?

anyone hiking this weekend?

I don't hike, I social network!

Anybody for some social networking this weekend?

Jay