Summit Rituals/Traditions ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the weather is good I like to take off my hiking boots and socks, put an Enya CD in my walkman and practice some Tai Chi moves.
Very spiritual, very relaxing.

:)

WhiteMTHike said:
If the weather is good I like to take off my hiking boots and socks, put an Enya CD in my walkman and practice some Tai Chi moves.

I can picture that perfectly, good for you. I can't lie though. When I first read your post I kept getting that clip in my head of the dude on "Silence of the Lambs" dancing (and tucking). LOL

We first go to the true peak so we can say we truely done it. then we find a spot with the best background view. My son then raises his hiking poles over his head and makes a rowdy face...I take his picture. Then we belly bump. Last time we did this was on Bond Cliff. *sniff* I sure miss him. :eek:

Last edited:
Just a fairly loud woo-hoo, then that blessed feeling of dropping pack. :cool:

rituals

Only one really, I pray, I have 2 I say and of all the summits Ive done ( which is alot) Ive never not prayed these 2 prayers. Im just very thankfull for being able to do what I do and its important to show it, imo.

I generally do the usual taking of pictures, looking at maps (provided there's little wind), breaking out the binoculars, and maybe eat a little lunch if I'm hungry. I try to say Enya-free on my hikes. ;)

I keep trying to remember to bring an extra pair of socks to change into, like others have suggested, but somehow I always forget.

I usually go with some form of self-mutilation -- generally amputation of any non-essential external bodyparts

I chop 'em, cook 'em and chuck 'em into the woods. Who needs 'em!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ask Eric, he's been there!! I just have to keep the Diet Monkeys away!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Whatever it is, I get very hysterical/violent and best be left alone.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I like to touch the top of the cairn, once I even hugged it! If I've brought my binoculars (often too heavy) I love to look all around me to see what I can see. And I just about ALWAYS eat :)
-katie

I like to take a self portrait of myself or if my sister is with me we'll do a self portrait of the two of us....we've got quite the collection going! :)

-MEB

WhiteMTHike said:

has enya actually had a cd since sail away sail away sail away - I much prefer her sister - in clannad!!

bunchberry said:
I like to touch the top of the cairn, once I even hugged it! If I've brought my binoculars (often too heavy) I love to look all around me to see what I can see. And I just about ALWAYS eat :)
-katie

I have 2 pairs of binoculars. One is very tiny, 8x20s. The other is very large, 15x70s. If I have a REALLY good reason, I'll bring the big ones with me to the summit, otherwise I bring the tiny ones. I used the big ones for finding flags during FOT48 this past 9/11.

I usually try to locate the summit Geo markers and photograph them.

giggy said:
has enya actually had a cd since sail away sail away sail away - I much prefer her sister - in clannad!!

We're getting a little off topic here (sorry Darren), Enya has had many CD's since Sail Away, which is on the Orinico Flow cd; one of her first. I'm not familiar with Clannad so I googled their web site. I could tell right away that is her sister in the band, they could pass for twins.

Getting back on topic ... what is your summit ritual, Giggy?

Last edited:
sierra said:
Only one really, I pray, I have 2 I say and of all the summits Ive done ( which is alot) Ive never not prayed these 2 prayers. Im just very thankfull for being able to do what I do and its important to show it, imo.

Nice, Sierra. Anyone on a summit anywhere has a lot to be thankful for.

Chip said:
Nice, Sierra. Anyone on a summit anywhere has a lot to be thankful for.
Sorry, but I don't thank anyone or anything but myself for getting there.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Sorry, but I don't thank anyone or anything but myself for getting there.

-Dr. Wu

Very much agreed - you can get there under your own power too...

I am thankful I didn't turn an ankle (except for that time I did and I was really mad and was not thankful...of course I did not summit with a sprained ankle, so it is a moot point.)