Take Care of yourself in the woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachu
The thread on the Dath of the Hunter really struck home.

My heart goes out to his family. I think of someone stricken and dying alone in the woods and hope he didn't go through much pain. I don't know if he died of heart attack or exposure secondary to something else, but many middle-aged men (and women) have narrowing of their coronary arteries due to plaque build-ups sometimes end up doing too much after long periods of relative inactivity and suffering heart attacks (I think they call it a coeronary event now?)

I also think that if you are going to out in the woods alone (I go solo much of my time) you should always be at peace with yourself and others close to you.

I've heard it said that the 2 most deadly days of the year for middle aged men are opening season (hunting) and the first heavy snow. Though I have never had a heart attack, I have had 3 heart surgeries for valve replacements and have been surrounded by folks recovering from bypass surgeries.

This forum is as good as any place to tell all my hiking friends and acquiantances to get to your doctor and get a physical if you haven't had one in a while. (And while you are at it get a PSA blood test/prostrate exam).
Sometimes in middle age, what you DON'T know CAN hurt you!!!

I do hope everyone is having a great Veteran's Day and Thank you to all our Veterans on this board and everywhere else!!!! :)

Rick
24th Avn BN/24th ID HAAF, GA
HHT Aug, HQ BN 11th ACR, Fulda Germany

Thank you Rick
Happy Veterans day.

Though I've never had heart surgery I would still get out and hike. I admire people that do, including several on this board. Better to die doing something you love then sitting on a couch waiting for the inevitable. Those guys that hunt describe is as one of the favorite things they do in life, they get outside and sit in the forest and watch nature. Sometimes the greatest joy in a day is watching a squirrel play.

I heard a commerical today on my way into work, one of those superstores telling people flat screen monitors are on sale, you won't be going outside in the next 5 months so you might as well enjoy your indoor time.........

The heck with that, November to May is the best time to be outdoors! See you in the mountains this weekend!

I remember quit vividly back in the early 70’s when I was in the Navy and we would go on a long deployment how we would lose one or two middle age sailors or marines to a heart attack after exerting themselves too strenuously. My ship was an amphibious LCC which allowed one to jog around the length of the ship. I’m sure some of the older sailors and marine would look at us young studs (believe it or not I was a stud puppy at one time) jogging and exercising and would think nothing of joining in. Unfortunately, they did this without consulting a doctor or any other health care provider.

Now that I am 51 and no longer a stud puppy (say it aint so) I too have to be cautious before exerting myself after a long absence. Even though I hike throughout the year and ski and snowshoe on a regular basis, I am always cognizant of my heart rate and never try to over do it. Another thing that I have learned rather painfully is that I can not match a twentysomething step for step, nor would I even try.

Thank God

Thank God that I'm no longer middle aged. I say that because I don't know anyone that's 122. I guess I must be elderly now. Me and that rooster on speed, Mick Jagger :D

Half seriously now folks, just ask Dr_wu if I am prepared for my expiration in the woods. That's not a bivy sack I carry, it's a body bag complete with tootsy tag.

For me, a central feature of the discussion is*taking care of ones self in the woods* is really about maintaining some regular fitness activity during the week. According to my collegues in sports medicine, one of the fastest growing age groups for injuries is us aging boomers who persist at weekend only physical activity without adequate mid week training. I suspect many hunters are even more untrained. Regarding the relationship between snow and heart attack, intense upper body muscular activity such as shoveling snow requires a high cardiac demand and frequently precipitates MI.

Rick: thanks for the good advice. I found it quite amusing to hear my Doctor's parting comments to me after my physical in June (before heading out to Rainier). he said "...90% of the 50 year olds that I see can't even touch their toes. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll live a long life". It never occurred to me how out of shape most people my age are (I've always felt way out of shape).

Keep on hiking!