The Final Three (written by Laurie)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Tom and I set out in August of 2005 for New Hampshire. It was simply a "hut" trip, but while there we could climb 3 of New Hampshire's 48 high peaks. We had a great trip, nice weather, glorious views, we even snuck in some hundred highest peak as well. And so the list was started........

August 4, 2009 and we set off for the final three, the Bonds. We made our reservations back in February and somehow during this very wet summer, we ended up on a day without a cloud in the sky from sunrise to sunset. We left Galehead Hut about 7:45am, climbed South Twin and enjoyed the 360 degree views in all directions by ourselves for several minutes. We soon set off across the Twinway and after 2 miles, ending up in the beautiful above treeline area around the summit of Guyot. We were greeted by a pair of robins and a white-throated sparrow that led us along the trail, past all of the beautiful alpine plants, the gorgeous views and back into the woods. A short while later we stopped to fill our water bottles at the Guyot campsite. Actually, Tom was the one who made the 200 foot drop down to the spring, not I!

Next we climbed down to West Bond. Yes, down! Eventually we did find some upward climbing and the summit and the final destination was in view! My first look at Bondcliff! We lingered for a bit, again with views in all directions before returning back to the main trail.

Off to the summit of Bond. More 360 degree views, including looking down on the final destination with it's winding ribbon of trail easily seen from our high perch. It was very unusual to leave the summit, go into the trees while descending and then come out to an above treeline area below!

The entire trail is before you as you approach from this direction, egging you on to complete the final steps of the journey. We were serenaded along those last few steps by a white-throated sparrow, accompanied by tons of alpine plants and once again the 360 degree views! 12:31pm - the summit, a big thank you to Tom for going step by step along this journey and a congratulations to him for completing his second round of the 48! We lingered for about 45 minutes, though we wished it could have been longer. We took the obligatory pictures, watched military jets doing some manuevers (Tom said he ordered that when the president said he could not make it for the event), ravens who were doing their own aerial manuevers, identified many of the now familiar peaks, and finally packed up for the trek back to the hut.

On the return trip we both dropped down to the Guyot camp site for water. It was cold and delicious and we were glad it was there. We made it back to the hut in time for dinner and a couple of Pemi Pale Ales that we had asked the Croo to keep cold for us.

We have driven oh so many, many, many miles to complete this journey. We have been fortunate to meet so many wonderful people while on this journey, many who have "housed us" when we were either in route; Kyle and Melissa, Sabrina and MichaelJ, or when we were in NH; John and Marc and others whom we have had the pleasure of hiking with, dining with or enjoying an after hike beer with. We have also had the good fortune to meet some great folks who have given us rides from a trailhead back to the car. To all of you we are very grateful for your help with this journey and extend an invitation for you to come to New York so we can return the favor. Along the way we found some friends both human and mountainous. We hope to return often, after all two of them we did in winter, leaving one more list unfinished!

Last edited:
excellent

excellent photos and story tom and laurie..sure was a great day out in the whites

I would guess our paths crossed by s twin a couple of hours apart..but we could sense history in the air:)

great job

I highly agree with your choice of the Bonds for a grand finish!!

Laurie, we are so happy to have played a small part in your journey!

You and Tom are an inspiration and I know how grateful you are to have eachother to share moments like these with! :)

Some historic events occurring on August 4:
_ The United States purchased the Virgin Islands (August 4, 1916)
_ A world air speed record of 2196 mph was set by the X-15 experimental U.S. rocket plane (August 4, 1960).
_ The United States Department of Energy was created (August 4, 1977)
_ Tom & Laurie Rankin completed their “journey of the NH 4K Peaks” (August 4, 2009)

Congratulations guys!