Tripyramids for 47 & 48: a carbohydrate extravaganza

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, my apologies to anyone within earshot of Welch & Dickey...

Saturday started off with me struggling out of bed, as usual feeling like I should have gotten ten more hours of sleep. I didn't feel capable of eating breakfast, but once in the car it seemed like a good idea to chew on a breath mint. Instinctively I swallowed the thing, which caused some very interesting stomach sensations. So though I surprised Mountaingirl by actually showing up on time to pick her up, I made up for it by delaying our departure by shutting myself in her bathroom while the breath mint reversed course.

On the ride up we joked about my "morning sickness" and tried to remember where the others had said they'd be camping. Not that it mattered much: their plan was for a moonlight Southern Presi traverse, so we'd probably just meet them up on the ridge somewhere. Meanwhile it was a sunny day, and we still hadn't decided which mountain we'd be hiking prior to joining the others. As the exit for route 89 came into view I remarked, "last chance for Mt Cardigan". Come to think of it, I'd been meaning to try the Holt trail. Mountaingirl was in agreement and I took the exit. After a while I realized that access to the east side of Cardigan is easier from 93 than from 89, so we reversed course. A few similar adventures later (we didn't have a detailed map), we arrived at the AMC lodge.

The Holt Trail is a short hike to the ledges where there are some sections bordering on 5th class. I'd avoid this trail in the rain. The rock was mostly dry, but we'd been hearing thunder intermittently.
We had a snack on the summit, and eventually made our way over to Firescrew. A small bird passed us, chasing a larger bird. The smaller bird (mockingbird or catbird or jay, probably) was using its advantage in rate of climb to strike at the undefended back of the larger bird, which I thought was a crow. As I delivered a mini-lecture on bird territoriality and aerobatic tactics, the smaller bird repeated its climb-attack sequence right in front of us. The "crow" parried with a roll, presenting its talons to face the attack. I'd seen crows do this before, but there was something extra graceful about this maneuver. Shortly thereafter the larger bird dove away from the ridge and swooped back southward, and from this new angle I could see the swept-back wings of a peregrine falcon. It was soon joined by another, and the pair put on an aerobatic display while I cursed myself for having left my big lens at the trailhead.

We got to Firescrew just before the storm did.

We proceeded northward, taking the long way down. A shelter by the trail (in need of repair) was too tempting in the rain, and we dawdled some more until the sun returned.

We took a number of spur trails looking for some supposed caves, but found only some small alcoves. Along the way we spotted a couple of salamanders (a red eft and a tan one).

Eventually we returned to the car, and soon stopped to get some food. I still wasn't feeling well, and barely managed half a bowl of stew.

I think it was during this meal that Mountaingirl got a message from Leaf, conveying the new plan: not a Presi Traverse, but Welch & Dickey instead. By then it was dark, so we drove directly to the trailhead, where we found a couple of cars parked and no one in sight. We intended to go clockwise to be sure to intercept the group going the other way, but weren't sure which trail to take in the dark, and before we knew it we were climbing counterclockwise.

The story of the rest of the evening has already been told.

#'s 47 + 48 for Jason and Rebecca, The Tripyramids 8/17/08

23atripyramids81708.jpg

North Tripyramid 4180’ and Middle Tripyramid 4140’

11 miles 3000’ Elevation gain

Kevin and some others

When you get to be my age sometimes doing things, even things that you love to do, can start to seem a little stale at times. So, you have to push yourself a little harder to get started, but then, once you get rolling you begin to ask yourself,"Gee, why was it so hard to get going on this?"and you answer yourself, "Well, because it's the same old same old, and I wish it had some variation once in a while." Well, for me at least, this weekend had just enough variation to make it fun again. There was enough youthful exuberance to wear off on me and seeing the smiling faces and happy chatter was good medicine for a guy that was starting to feel kind of old and worn down. My wife, dog and I have done hundreds of hikes where it's just the three of us trudging through the woods, struggling to get up to the peaks, enjoying the wilderness as it was meant to be, quiet and solitary, and I love that, and I missed it somewhat this weekend, but having the opportunity to experience it a different way was also a good thing, and I got to join in what was a real fun time. A large group of folks met up at Osceola Vista Campground over the weekend, some coming, some going, most with the intent of hiking the Mount Tripyramid Trail up the North Slide, then over to Middle Tripyramid to join Jason and Rebecca on their 47th and 48th 4000 footers on Sunday. Being such a large group we started out at different times, each group hiking at their own pace, and obviously, everyone making the somewhat difficult ascent of the North Slide at their own speed. Being good hiking buddies, we all waited at the top of the slide to make sure that everyone had made it. Several other, albeit smaller, groups of hikers joined us. Now we appeared to be a throng, so again, after pictures, drinks and food we broke up into smaller groups and continued the short hike to the summit of North Tripyramid, where naturally, we regrouped again. This, unfortunately, is where the Forest Ranger came along and found us, and he took his opportunity to explain to us that we were breaking the rules by being in a group of more than ten in a wilderness area, which, of course, we all realized. So, again, we broke into smaller groups and did our best to maintain a quarter mile between us as we scurried over to Middle Tripyramid where, unintentionally, of course, we all gathered again for a few minutes to celebrate R and J finishing their 4000 Footer lists. There were presents and hugs and handshakes and smiles all around. There were a couple of smaller groups trying to enjoy some lunch when we showed up. Everyone hikes their own hike, which we proved in a big way on this one. We regrouped on South Tri and did a little more celebrating before heading down the South Slide in smaller groups. The hike back to Livermore Road went by quickly with plenty of chatter and good company, and we hiked at a good pace back along the road and back to the parking area. From there we regrouped at Mad River Tavern where we took over a room and had a very good meal, more libations and good service. We shared more stories and jokes, then our fellowship parted ways and went back to our not as much fun lives outside of the mountains. Thanks everyone for taking me in and making me feel at home with you!

Pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns4000/tripyramids81708/tripyramids81708.html

KDT

Last edited:
Hey, wait a second. Who's trying to claim the "old" prize in this outfit, anyway? We had that discussion at dinner, and it wasn't even close! :D

Edit: There are some EXCELLENT photos taken of this trip and posted here! Nice work, everyone.

Last edited:
Kevin I hear you. I moved to Nh 8 years ago to hike and ski. Mostly solo or when fortunate enough to get Ashley,our son Glen, and Tuck and Carter out for dayhikes and backpacking.Over the the years, as much as one loves the mountains and physical benefits, sometimes things can get a little "stale". Especially when you take a couple months off(or suffer through personal or family crisis) it gets harder to motivate out the door. I was at that point in March when I discovered this site while searching for trail conditions( I think it was a link on Dave's Hike the Whites page). It completely blew my mind that there was an online hiking community of such diverse characters and exuberance and that I was out of the loop. I went on my first VFFT hike with BIKEHIKESKIFISH(Hancocks.He was kind enough to get me on both Views and Rot,THANKS)and was with the group at Barnes over the 4th and again for this weekend,sadly I had to bail on Bearly Live(still pissed) . I have to say that I have met so many truly awesome and fun people who love the mountains as much as me and are accepting and unbiased. To me these are extremely rare qualities in people and I have been searching long and hard and suffered much loneliness along the way. I would just like to say thanks to everyone for being who you are and that events like this weekend are totally reinvigorating. And Kevin old and tired are the last things I think of when I think of you.
By the way, peakbagging is a small part of the hiking experince for me. I started alone and had planned on finishing the 48 alone(I was never in a hurry). But now I want to finish soon and throw a big ass party!

Old?

"Now onto more fake lists...and other stuff that sucks...simply because it's "good medicine"!"

Jason

Well, maybe not as good as Swedish Bitters... :eek:

"Hey, wait a second. Who's trying to claim the "old" prize in this outfit, anyway? We had that discussion at dinner, and it wasn't even close!"

Mad Townie

Believe me, Peter, I would not try to usurp your crown! :D

"But now I want to finish soon and throw a big ass party!"

Sasquatch

We're all there, Rob!

KDT

Congratulations Rebecca and Jason!!! I had such a blast with the group all weekend. I'm having a hard time keeping myself entertained without the group around :(

Congrats you guys on your accomplishment! Looks and sounds like a fanastic weekend...too bad i stayed home to paint my grandma's toe nails and deal with her incontinent problem :eek: otherwise...i woulda been there

so.
how many heads deep were you out there and at what poing did you all meet up?
what kind of trouble does one get into with the authorities and in what form?
i would assume some kind of fine.

thats just bad luck!!

The Ranger

ferrisjrf said:

First: Congratulations to Jason and Rebecca! Onward, by all means.

Second: I recognize that ranger as Garth Dickerman, Mike Dickerman's nephew. I ran into him on the Gale River Trail earlier this summer. For those who have yet to meet Ranger Dickerman, he's a class act and very professional. I'm glad to see he continues to get out and about and continues to do his job.

Remember that old joke, "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out"? I can just imagine Garth getting back to the ranger station: "I went on a hike and I found a frat party." I'm sure if he follows in his uncles footsteps and puts pen to paper, this is one day on the trail he might not forget. :)

Kevin (of Keven, Judy and Emma), your photos continue to impress. I envy your prowess with a camera. Have you thought of doing a photo book on the Whites? If not, you should.

We recognized Garth and even name dropped his uncle (Mike). He was cool with us, and took my name (everyone else seemed to be busy looking at their boots around this point) but no ticket. We were in the wrong and we knew it; there's no point giving the rangers grief for doing their jobs.

Again, it was just a small blip in an otherwise amazing day.

The ranger was indeed a class act and acted in a very professional manner the whole time. Absolutely no question about that.

<Moderator Edit>
I moved the rest of this post to its own thread, as I think it could be an interesting discussion.
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24680

</Moderator Edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin said:
The dog owner, and AMC leader, didn't even appear to apologize. From what I saw he mostly just yelled at the dogs a lot and fed them very little. There were several dogs, including these that I saw on the North Slide. IMO it was just this side of animal cruelty
FWIW, I did the Tris with Porkchop and Paprika (and their owner, of course) last summer. Porkchop went up the North Slide faster than all but one human in the group and Paprika certainly had an easier time of it than I did. Both were fed and watered regularly.

(I don't mean to contradict your observations or start another dog discussion, just to add some data points to alleviate concerns about the dogs' wellbeing...certainly it's always valuable to pay close attention to the needs and moods of canine companions.)

Porkchop is working on his 4th round of the 4000'ers, Paprika on her 2nd. I think they'll be OK.

True

I'm being a litlle oversensitive and probably worded that stronger than it should have been. My dog is also on her 3rd round and as she has gotten older there are some things I have just decided I'm not going to make her do. North Tri Slide was the latest. No more trips to Huntington Ravine for her, either :eek:

I really shouldn't be waggin' fingers when I've done similar things. Apologies to thew owner, and congrats to his dogs for makin' the tough climb.

KDT

Awesome day with great people and glad to help celebrate your accomplishment Jason and Rebecca! It was Dan's first time hiking 4K mountains and I believe he is already addicted. He's pretty quiet at work but this sparked up an apetite for altitude that he raved about some at in the office. I knew Jason and Rebecca would catch up to me but I thought I could get to Middle Tri first. Guess I should have hit the sack earlier but the night crowd was too much fun at the Vista! ;) A bit late but here's some pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565572992gdCktR?vhost=good-times