Tripyramids for 47 & 48: a carbohydrate extravaganza

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
Ferrisjrf and I were planning finish our NH48 this weekend on the Tripyramids, so we decided to throw out an invitation for a few folks to join us. We figured between the two of us we’d get a handful of takers – but I guess Jason’s really popular, because we got more than a few! Home base was a group site at Osceola Vista campground, which seemed to work out very well.

As folks trickled in from all directions, the weekend got kicked off Friday night with a campfire gathering complete with Swedish Bitters followed by a dance party under and around the discoball – I think we managed to kill every iPod battery around! :D Darlene even offered some ballroom dancing lessons on the side (perhaps our fox friend was intrigued by your foxtrot?). This hardy group called it quits sometime near 4am, I think :confused: .

Saturday there were various plans to hike or climb. Darlene made blueberry pancakes to start the day off right. I joined Team Discoball (Mats, Darlene, Jeff Stone, Nif, Leaf, Hui Yeng and Gillian) and we planned to do some multi-pitch climbing over at Lost in the Sun at Mt. Webster. Mats had agreed to do some trailwork for the RMC, so he took off early in the morning and planned to meet us over at the trailhead for the climb. We got a rather slow start, and gradually made our way over to Crawford Notch. Along the way we got text messages from Mats about the bad weather in the northern Presis. Ever confident that this weekend was going to be THE WEEKEND WITHOUT RAIN we stuck with our plan. Mats showed up and we headed off into the woods for the 30 minute hike in. About 10 minutes later we were donning rain gear and five minutes after that we were heading back out to the cars. :( Plans spoiled, we turned to Plan B…we headed to the Woodstock Inn for beers and food. If you can’t have multi-pitches, you might as well have multi-pitchers! :D :D I think we ate one of every item on the appetizer menu :eek: and then headed out into the sunny afternoon. Not wanting to give up on the day, we headed over to Lincoln Crag and got in some climbing after all.

Arriving back at the campsite that evening we found a few new additions to the group, and some awesome – and personalized, thank you! – homemade lasagna from Kevin & Judy. As the full moon rose and it looked like we were in for a clear evening, various moonlight hiking plans were discussed. A group of eight of us decided on Welch-Dickey and off we went around 9:30. Given the arduous nature of the hike, we knew we were going to have to take a break every 20 minutes or so once we reached the ledges. ;) While we were enjoying our first break, Mountaingirl and Nartreb showed up! We took our time and enjoyed the views – I expect there to be some great pictures. When the yawns started coming with greater frequency, we decided to head down. We kept ourselves awake with an awesome singalong and before we knew it we were back at the cars. Once back at camp we found more new arrivals and Dave Bear in his usual position preparing food over the fire.

Sunday was the actual hiking day and we awoke to beautiful sunny skies. A group headed off early to get a head start while some folks headed home and the rest of us packed up and hit the trail sometime before 10am. The North Slide was a lot of fun and I think we all avoided serious injury (which is not the same as avoiding all injury!). We lost Doublebow. Then later we found him. We lost Nif, but we eventually found her too. Other than that, the hike was pretty uneventful ;) . Just two very distinct groups of hikers from VFTT out for a nice walk in the woods on a pleasant day. Oh yeah, Jason and I finally finished our NH48! There were gifts galore! And cake! And special Dave Bear drinks! Thank you all!

After we all made it back to the trailhead, we headed off to the Mad River Tavern for – what else – more food and beers. We took over an entire side room with our (now-combined ;) ) group of about 20. And then Arm, Giggy, Donna and Annalisa showed up and made it even more cozy.

I think most of us got way too little sleep and consumed several times as many calories as we burned off this weekend, but we sure had a good time! I don’t have my pictures up yet, but hopefully some others will have some to post.

congrats!

"Jason and I finally finished our NH48"
congrats!! sounds like a kick-butt weekend.
cant wait to see some photos

Congrats on 48 Rebecca and Jason! Nice TR!

Great weekend all around with super fun people, awesome food and laughs.

skimom, aka "reigning swedish viking stick throwing game champion"

Congrats on Finishing.

Now get to work on the 67!
727_smiley_whipping_a_whip.gif

...so I can come to the party :)

Congratulations on fininshing the 48! Nice T/R, thanks for posting.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Earl

Great weekend of way too much fun!!

Congrats again to Rebecca & Jason!

We had a fun weekend at a new venue for camping, they did close the road down after we showed up???? Maybe we were too much for one campground.

Friday night was way fun with the dancing, singing, stories, showings ( :p ) and perfect moonlit skies. The tent jumping even happened without any casualties! Thankfully for Kim who was trying to sleep in the tent. Disco ball Limbo, and Juniper you do a mean dance dipping! Thanks for not dropping me! Whenever I hear ABBA it will bring me back to Friday night.

Saturday morning started with Hui Yeng calling at 7:30 :eek: asking our plans for the day...I was still working on sleeping at that point...thankfully she drove over to the campsite to find us moving slowly.... After breakfast and coffee we did manage to make an attempt at climbing. It wasn't our fault that we went to plan B. You'll see from the pictures our little excursion was pretty wet. We did get to see a huge spider that was our highlight of driving all the way over to the climb.

Plan B turned out pretty entertaining, with pitchers being poured and food being devoured (1/2 price apps) :D

After a few pitchers we were ready to retry plan A and do some rock climbing. Turns out I can still lead on a full stomach. :p We all managed to do some climbing. (except for a certain party that left us...to meet others)

Lots of fun arround the fire, that actually was a fire Sat night. Some of us decided to relax and enjoy the full moon in our chairs and campfire stories. The pictures show I was wide awake!! :cool: Great lasagna Kevin & gread garlic bread & chicken Davebear!

Sunday came way too soon...as the campsite started to stir and food was cooked and tents broken down. Hui Yeng brushing her teeth in the puddle. :eek:

The hike up the North slide was lots of fun and gave us some slab climbing after all, no ropes needed. We finally met up with the first group that took off before us at the summit of North Tripyramid.

We split off again and hiked over to Middle for the celebration and pictures/gifts on the 48th peak!! Yeah@!!

The celebration continued with cake, adult beverages, swedish worms, etc... then off we headed to the parking lot to meet up again as a group.

It was so nice to have different groups meeting at the summits and celebrating a beautifull day hiking.....

Congrats and yes I have some pictures: A little editing and here they are!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/TripyramidWeekend

Shout out to Rebeca and Jason! Salud!
Awesone time hangin' and hiking this weekend. The mountaintop celebration was not to be missed.Good times,good times,,,,,,,,,,

Congrats. As usual, it seems the sordid details get omitted. I do appreciate that everything was done "in moderation" ;) Funny how fast word travels when someone in this group finishes a list (or has a birthday, breaks a few bones, etc). Before you know it, you have over 25 fighting for summit space! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Congratulations again to both of you. I'm glad our group could watch you celebrate from 1/4 mile away. :eek: That's a great climb to learn just how deconditioned one really is. :eek: Rock shoes would have come in really handy.

Marchowes, I went looking for you on the left side of the North Slide, but all I got for my troubles were a few spruce scratches. You weren't there. :D

It was great to hike with so many folks I'd never been out with before. Things are getting pretty sad when you've partied with someone several times but haven't hiked with them yet. So we combined both. Thanks to Rebecca and Jason for giving us the chance to do so.

Outstanding!

1st off, congrats to J+R, it takes a lot of hard work and intestinal fortitude to get there!

2nd it was great to get to know everyone a little better, and to hike and meet several new friends, too!

3rd great photos D, you really captured the weekend!

Thanks everyone, it was a great time!

KDT

This weekend totally sucked. Thanks everyone for making it a miserable experience.

Yes, as you can tell by the photos, it was a horrible time. We cried all weekend. The best part was when I got wood in my eye (not Mats) and had to spend a half an hour flushing it out on the slide. That was awesome.

Thanks for making me drink too much, sing too much, dance too much, and play with fire too much. You guys are jerks and hope to see you all again real soon. ;) :D

BTW, congrats again to two wonderful people on their accomplishment!

Last edited:
Congrats, Rebecca and Jason!

From the 12th annual White Mountain Boogie and Blues festival in Thornton, we were watching WValley take a bunch of lightening bolts on Saturday afternoon (could not hear the thunder over the base notes), so good to learn that you were hunkered down at Woodstock Station and not on the N Tri slide at that point. :)

Congratulations, Rebeca and Jason!

Sorry to have missed Sunday celebration (my stupid work schedule on Sunday), but glad to share the moonlight hiking with you all (Thanks for Jason looking backward while climbing up)!

Congratulations again Rebecca and Jason, thanks for giving us a reason to hang out and have fun. Never a dull moment! Free shower along 302, wish I brought my shampoo. Great fun climbing with Jen for the first time, and my first multi-pitchers climb! The moonlight hike was amazing, I have hiked out many times in the dark, but never during a fullmoon and along an open ridge. Wonderful night hike with free jukebox songs request from Jason and others. Sunday hike was memorable, ran into Joe, Paprika and Porkchop at the slide, Porkchop hasn't changed a bit :) Delicious blueberries cake from Darlene and endless supplies of various beverages. Too much fun!

Here are some pictures I took from the weekend:
The climbings and Moonlight hike

Thanks again everyone for yet another fun weekend!