Updated Orphaned Trails List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
How, if at all, does the AMC Adopter program differ from the USFS Adopter program?

How, if at all, does the AMC Adopter program differ from the USFS Adopter program?

I believe it mostly deals with the trails and the juridstiction they fall under. Cooperation is good (last I knew) between AMC & USFS when it comes to adopting. For the most part the methods of labor are the same, a basic skills class given by the AMC is applicable for both. Outside of that, perhaps there is an Adopter who cares for a USFS trail that can add more.

Wow, there are some great ones in there.

I'm considering asking for one of them since I've enjoyed working on my USFS adopted trail so much....but does the AMC/USFS dissuade people from having two trails?

I'm considering asking for one of them since I've enjoyed working on my USFS adopted trail so much....but does the AMC/USFS dissuade people from having two trails?

Not that I know of, it would solely be your choice to stick with one trail alone and fall into a complete, satisfied obsession.

We did that with Osseo. We took the first half, then once under control, and happy with the result, took on the second half as well. I would love to take on another in a different Region of the Whites, but I so much enjoy the Osseo, and now with Region duties, I am captivated by the area and the crew we are a part of.

I'm happy with the one trail I've adopted and would consider adopting more of it if it becomes available. One comment, and I know that the Forest Service is short handed, but it would make me feel a bit more included (for lack of a better word) if the reports I send in were acknowledged. I don't know how AMC handles that. I recently sent a message to a Regional Office about a mess I saw littering a lookout off a popular trail that was too great for me to remove and never had a response to that email, either.

I can't say how it is now, but when my mother was a USFS adopter the coordinator was a forestry tech who had other duties including fighting fires out west. She once went a whole year without a parking pass although one was required to park at her trailhead. I did much of the work for years while she still thought she was up to it but finally gave up in disgust.

I can't say how it is now, but when my mother was a USFS adopter the coordinator was a forestry tech who had other duties including fighting fires out west. She once went a whole year without a parking pass although one was required to park at her trailhead. I did much of the work for years while she still thought she was up to it but finally gave up in disgust.

We have to work a certain number of hours before we get a pass. I don't have to worry about that as I'm old enough to have purchased one that is good for my lifetime.

I can speak to the USFS program. There are lots more trails available for one. I believe I've posted the Saco and Andro list previously.

It's more independent work. There's not much follow-up from Forest Service personnel but I did have the opportunity to join them on several work trips.

If I recall, for USFS, you are required to attend training once every three years. They have several training sessions in the spring. Axe use requires annual training. Here is an excerpt from my agreement.

Adopt-A-Trail on: ....
Basic maintenance in order by priority: cleaning all drainage structures, brushing out the trail corridor, and blazing when needed (only after brusing out the corridor)
DUTIES:
1. Perform annual basic maintenance on the above list of travelways.
2. All work will be performed to Forest Service standards for all trails.
3. Work involving powersaws will be performed only by FS certified operators.
4. Provide work reports with a list of participating individuals and hours worked on travelways a minimum of twice yearly by June 30th and September 30th.
5. Any work beyond annual basic maintenance requires project specific FS approval.

16 hours a year of reported volunteer time. A parking pass, for me, is never a problem (it's not the motivation either). A simple note on my car does the trick.

Hope this helps.

I can speak to the USFS program. There are lots more trails available for one. I believe I've posted the Saco and Andro list previously.

It's more independent work. There's not much follow-up from Forest Service personnel but I did have the opportunity to join them on several work trips.

If I recall, for USFS, you are required to attend training once every three years. They have several training sessions in the spring. Axe use requires annual training. Here is an excerpt from my agreement.

Adopt-A-Trail on: ....
Basic maintenance in order by priority: cleaning all drainage structures, brushing out the trail corridor, and blazing when needed (only after brusing out the corridor)
DUTIES:
1. Perform annual basic maintenance on the above list of travelways.
2. All work will be performed to Forest Service standards for all trails.
3. Work involving powersaws will be performed only by FS certified operators.
4. Provide work reports with a list of participating individuals and hours worked on travelways a minimum of twice yearly by June 30th and September 30th.
5. Any work beyond annual basic maintenance requires project specific FS approval.

16 hours a year of reported volunteer time. A parking pass, for me, is never a problem (it's not the motivation either). A simple note on my car does the trick.

Hope this helps.

This is what I found on the AMC website, for comparison:

AMC Adopter Responsibilities

• Sign and submit the Adopter Agreement, which will be sent to you upon acceptance into the program. (Minimum two-year commitment.)
  • Attend a one-day, staff-led AMC Trails Maintenance Skills Session prior to working on your trail. (Free of charge to new Adopters; Basic and/or Alpine Skills Session, depending upon the individual trail.)
  • Cleaning out existing drainage structures (waterbars, ditches, and dips).
  • Cutting brush.
  • Painting blazes where appropriate.
  • Repairing or building screewalls and cairns above treeline.
  • Perform these necessary tasks a minimum of three times a year, depending upon the needs of the trail.
  • Submit a written work report to your the Region Leader/Coordinator after each work visit to your trail.
  • Work closely with your Region Leader/Coordinator and maintain open lines of communication.
  • Adhere to standards set forth in the Adopter Handbook .
  • Perform all work to protect the environment, natural resources, and the recreational experience of hikers.
  • Act in the spirit of partnership and as an AMC ambassador to the hiking public.
http://www.outdoors.org/conservation/trails/volunteer/adopt/adopt-responsibilities.cfm

So as far as I can tell, the only differences are "adhering to the handbook" and the AMC requires 3 trips per year, and the USFS requires 2. That and being a public ambassador of sorts between the AMC and the public. It does seem a bit more attitude-oriented, with a bit higher requirements.

Last edited:
In the northern Mahoosucs there are Success, Carlo Col, and Goose eye trails that last I checked were available. Success and Goose eye especially great trails, one could adopt it, set up camp, and have a two or three day adventure!!

I'm happy with the one trail I've adopted and would consider adopting more of it if it becomes available. One comment, and I know that the Forest Service is short handed, but it would make me feel a bit more included (for lack of a better word) if the reports I send in were acknowledged. I don't know how AMC handles that. I recently sent a message to a Regional Office about a mess I saw littering a lookout off a popular trail that was too great for me to remove and never had a response to that email, either.

Your AMC Region Leader would happily acknowledge your reports, hike your trail with you, and offer advice and information about trail maintenance :D

Nope, not discouraged at all. Last I knew Steve Smith was adopter for 3, possibly 4, trails. And honestly, if you have a USFS trail already and want to get an AMC one how would they really know anyways? But I will say this, you may want to stick with USFS in your case. I say this because the AMC requires you to take a basic skills course every 3 years (I don't know the USFS standard.) So if you have a trail each with both entities then you may conceivably be forced to "double up" taking maintenance courses which I think would be a negative if it were me.

Brian

Your AMC Region Leader would happily acknowledge your reports, hike your trail with you, and offer advice and information about trail maintenance :D

That sounds really cool. :)

To be fair, though, the USFS has a single paid position and a one full-time volunteer (at least in the Pemi district). I don't think they have the resources for that, fwiw.

I applied for an AMC trail. I have a small one with the USFS and I'd love to take on a bit more.

Nope, not discouraged at all. Last I knew Steve Smith was adopter for 3, possibly 4, trails. And honestly, if you have a USFS trail already and want to get an AMC one how would they really know anyways? But I will say this, you may want to stick with USFS in your case. I say this because the AMC requires you to take a basic skills course every 3 years (I don't know the USFS standard.) So if you have a trail each with both entities then you may conceivably be forced to "double up" taking maintenance courses which I think would be a negative if it were me.

Brian

In lieu of taking the basic skills course every three years, an adopter can simply meet their Region Leader for a walk-through of their trail in which the RL and adopter can address any concerns and evaluate the trail conditions.

Also, while it's easy to define the USFS and AMC as two separate entities for the purpose of trail maintainance jurisdiction, most individual people interact with, volunteer for, and/or make use of the resources (and by that, I mean trails) that are maintained by both entities.

The AMC runs a really good adopter program. They developed the model that the Forest Service program now runs (with in the limits of a government bureaucracy).

I believe the AMC program also offers more perks - lodging, t-shirts, etc. Maybe Wardsgirl or Fishercat can speak more to the perks.

Forest Service staff are also available to go over the trail as well. My first year training was done after all the basic trainings were over. I joined a FS trail crew member on my trail to go over techniques and standards.

Wardsgirl is right. Lots of groups, good interaction. I work with the AMC NH chapter who adopt the OBP on Lafayette & Chatham Trails Association which works with two districts of Forest Service.

I believe the AMC program also offers more perks - lodging, t-shirts, etc. Maybe Wardsgirl or Fishercat can speak more to the perks.

I know that you can receive a meal the day of your trailwork over at Joe Dodge, and for applicable Adopters (such as those who have trails originating in the confines of Franconia Notch Sate Park) can use some extra tent platforms at no charge while working their trail. Outside of that, and those I only know cause I've asked, I'm not aware of any other perks, because I've never used any perks in all my years (including the supposed parking sticker - which I do buy because its cool and definitively tells people where I live now -where I go for vacation). More details can be received from Alex DeLucia over at AMC when you apply for a trail. He is up to date on all that.

Oh yea, there is a big BBQ for all volunteers held at Joe Dodge every year, usually the second weekend of September.