W48 completion on the Bonds 1/24/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
So Gillian and I headed for our completion of the W48 on the Bonds (she needed West Bond and Bond and I needed Zealand and West Bond).

Stoney, Spandex and I started from Zealand Hut Friday evening. Mtnpa had a headstart and was flirting with the hutkeeper by the time we got there. Another guy named Jack was also there to bag Guyot in the morning. Unfrozen Caveman, 7summit, Adventurist, Jferris, Gillian and Juniper came up after midnight. Jason and UFC had to bag Hale on the way in. It wa a weird night, when you went out to the other buidling for night business it was warmer outside than inside. By sunrise the picture was totally different; windy and cold outside. The hot water from the stove was great. We geared up and headed out all 11 of us. I kept a slow pace intentionally so some people got a tad cold. No major navigational issues on the ridge. It was a beautiful brisk day in the woods. For some reason the Zealand sign pointed toward Guyot........some dude thought he was funny. After traffic jamming by the summit sign, many of us were cold so just me and Stoney (Jeff Stone who were on Denali with me last year) decided to check out the sailing wind on Guyot......it proved to be adequate :D Jack had packed the trail for 300 feet towards Guyot and every foot helps :) Giggy, MEB and Little sister came up to Zealand in the morning also but Stoney and I never saw them.

We took turns packing the trail and it was fine until the wind tunnel at Guyot set in.....didn't feel much love from the sun here....sometimes it's an advantage to weigh over 200 lbs. We made it over and took shelter in the bushes before heading over the 2nd Guyot summit. Checked our faces and enjoyed the great views. Most of the time it was nice along the ridge. Saw some snowshoe tracks and figured it must be Dangergirl and her companion on the Pemi traverse. Someone had bivied at the intersection to the Guyot campsite. On to West Bond cut-off......broke the trail to West Bond and the W48 was a done deal.......but no celebrations were really made up there......we saw the wind going over Bondcliff risked getting speeding tickets so we decided to go down that way......bailout-option would have been to head down to Bondcliff trail from the lowpoint instead of bagging Bondcliff. By the time we were down at the col it was wicked windy. Had to take shelter behind whatever was possible, held on to each other and bowed down on the knees to avoid getting blown off. We had a discussion what to do and decided to traverse a bit lower on the Bondclifff and if that didn't work head into the woods. Down below it was more gusty so there were breaks in the wind where we could move forward and slowly we made our way up to Bondcliff summit. The summit area wasn't too bad compared to the col. Sun was on it's last hurrah when headed down into the woods behind Bondcliff. We didn't have a thermoter although at Lincoln Woods the car said -17F.

Frodo, rocket21, NeighborDave, Darlene58, Stevo, Arm, Hamtero, Donna and DaveBear had intended to meet us on the Bonds but they turned back on Bondcliff due to the wind. It was probably 4:30 when we left Bondcliff since the sun was just a tad above the horizon and in 20 minutes it was gone. Made good time down the remaining 9.1 miles and were back at LW by 8:20pm. DaveBear, the great dude, came to met us in the parking lot with some goodies. Celebration at the mountainhouse afterwards. Mtnmama makes the best chicken soup there is!

Next time Gillian will make it I'm sure :) A strong hiker she is. She likes to do one-day pemi loops in November by the way:eek:

Great to see so many familiar faces again!

Last edited:
A hearty and healthy congratulations, my swedish friend! May you have many more mtns and good times with good friends! :p :D

Jay

Congrats Mats!!

We were trying to meet you...but the wind put me on my butt pretty fast and there was no getting up. The crawl was slow but got me to a point where Davebear was able to rescue me with a helping hand!! It pays to have big guys as buds!! I even lugged up a heini can in your honor!!:D

Glad you & Jeff made it safely out! Just wish we could of met up...another time, another peak!!:rolleyes:

Glad to see you back!!!:D

Mats your a tough act to follow.
Congrats on the 48th in winter.
What's next??????

Great job, Mats! Perhaps I'll put together a trip report for those of us who came from the south.

Woo Hoo!!!

Congratulations Mats! You have definitely returned to the mtns with a bang. I will admit I didn't think it was the best idea for you and Jeff to proceed, but what do I know?? I was nearly crying like a baby with frozen hands on Zealand and coudn't imagine anyone wanting to go OUT THERE :eek::eek:. So glad that you and Jeff were able to safely finish the traverse. The two of you played it down, but it was not an easy task to say the least. Well done!

Rebecca

Congratulations, Mats! Great job! Crawling across Bondcliff sounds like quite an experience, one which makes it all the more an accomplishment. :)

Congrats on your W48 Mats!!!

The hike in Friday night with 7summits, Gillian and Juniper was quite pleasant despite arriving at the hut just before 1:30am. The temperature was comfortable and as strange as this sounds, we kept feeling a warm breeze on the hike up the road. A stark contrast to what was in store for us on Saturday.

It was great hiking with you again and I look forward to joining you on more adventures. Although...if the conditions are like they were on Saturday, I'd still turn back. I give you and Jeff a lot of credit for pushing on through increasing winds and plummeting temperatures. You certainly have a lot of determination and an extremely positive attitude to go with it!!!

Last edited:
Mats- amazing!!!!

Congrats to all in the hiking party for making a big attempt in wild conditions. Hiking in 6+ to arrive at midnight at the hut and then rolling out early in the morning to contend with wind and cold... well done.

Gillian, next time you WILL OWN those Bonds! Fosho!

Way to go Mats. Had fun freezing my butt off with you.

Having never hiked in the Bonds before it looks like I picked the wrong weekend to check it out. Oh well, it’s never dull spending time with the “matsinator” so I should have expected nothing less than what we got. Actually, I decide to join the group at the last minute so I didn’t really know much about the hike or route, so when most of the group turned around at Zealand I started to suspect I was trouble but continued on with Mats anyways. I mean, after all while visiting him at home a couple a weeks ago, and watching struggle to climb 6 steps to his door, could he really go much further? I thought it was a safe bet but as usual I underestimated his strength (thick head) and his determination (stubbornness). What was in those cancer treatments meds? Steroids?

Congrats on your winter 48 Mats and thanks for showing me the Bonds in style.

Congrats to Mats and Jeff. I think that doing the Guyot - Bonds traverse in those conditions is much edgier than the Presi traverse given that the bail outs are essentially non-existent. Good move to save West Bond for later Gillian; congrats to all on Zealand.

It was great to be on the trails with you again Mats!! Congrats and job well done - you and Jeff were a solid team out there. Looking forward to many more hikes to come....

Thanks again everyone for coming out on this slightly chilly day! Thank goodness for mtnma's minestrone special :)

Gillian, next time you WILL OWN those Bonds! Fosho!

....that was the second time those winter Bonds got the best of me...third time lucky eh?

Congrats on your winter 48 Mats and thanks for showing me the Bonds in style.

Your definitely in for a treat when you revisit the Bonds in the summer Jeff!

Wow!
congrats to all who attempted and those who finished!!
i took some family members on a lil walk to greely ponds from the kanc on saturday and it was pretty damn cold on the ponds, wicked winds!!!
hopefully i will be able to join you next time GG!

The BEST part of my weekend was seeing Mats & Jeff back down safe at the TH.:D Congrats to all who got to hike and especially Mats! You are one tough fellow I like to look up to! Glad you're feeling healthy and smiling! I will be doing a tr later because mine was a solo backpack knowing I would be amoung friends on the mountains. Anything else would be crazy, right!;) Here's some pics I took from the Bondcliff trip :http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/569792051UwbDPd

Last edited: