Waterville Valley Early Diner?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tilton Diner off I-93 on the way up to Waterville Valley if that helps at all. It's about 30 miles south of the WV exit. Not sure what time this diner opens for breakfast though.

You could stop in at Main Street Station (aka the Trolley Car) in Plymouth (exit 25) on your way up. They open up at 7am. Very yummy, very local, very economical.

Thank you kindly. Those options look great.

Heading up Thursday night, hiking Friday (next week). Considering camping options, too. I've seen Russell Pond (nothing going on there, move along now!), but how about Waterville Campground: good reviews? I guess that constitutes thread drift, sorry.

Have I missed WV diner reviews previously? Couldn't find any.

BTW, very challenging writing to a BBS on a crackberry. Worked, I guess!

Thanks again,

--Mike

edit: Please include opening times, if you know 'em. It'll be a long day and we'll need an early start! Thx. --M.

Last edited:
Exceptional Breakfast at a place off exit 25. We headed south from Thornton to exit 25 , bear to the right and look on the right within 1/4 mile. Meatlovers Omlett was perfection with quality meat two days in a row. Not a bunch of grizzly,chewy crap.Good Bread for the toast, Good home Fries. I think it was open at 6 but not sure.

--M: but how about Waterville Campground: good reviews?

It's a smaller, woodsy campground down close to the Mad River... My sense is it tends to be fairly quiet, especially on weeknights.

The other alternative would be Osceola Vista up off the Tripoli Road (actually a touch closer to the Livermore trailhead, too). Osceola Vista is a loop, fairly open, with really nice views of Osceola and the Tripyramids. Again, tends to be quiet on weeknights, but is popular with scouting groups etc. on weekends.

Breakfast options right in Waterville Valley are limited. The Coffee Emporium (upstairs in Town Square) does a full breakfast weekend mornings, and it's good if not sensational -- but can be slow, like Stix. The Snowy Owl Inn in WV is serving breakfast on Wed-Sun from 7am on. Cannot vouch for the quality...

You could grab an egg sandwich and a great cup of coffee at Mad River Coffee, in Campton on Route 49 east right off of I-93.

I usually get a cup of coffee there and chat with Dave, the owner, before heading off on one of the hikes in the area.

Best coffee in the Waterville Valley region and Dave is fun to talk to. His coffee shop provides a nice local ambience, he has jazz/folk music playing in the background, and usually has a couple of newspapers to read. As for something to eat, he usually has some homemade baked goodies. Across the street, is Dunkin' Donuts [hate to point you there because Dave lives in Waterville and could use the business!] but they do have egg sandwiches, bagels, donuts, muffins, etc.

On my bike ride through the area last summer I ate at the Stix restaurant which had a pretty full breakfast menu. That too is in Campton off 49 just up from the I93 exit.

I will never go there again. I waited 30 minutes to get seated and another 30 minutes to get my food!

A better option that Stix is Benton's Sugar Shack for a full breakfast. Turn left onto Rte. 175 at the Campton Dam and drive about 4 miles. It has agreat country charm, offers an incredible variety of breakfast items to choose from (order the Very Berry Pancakes!), gives you REAL maple syrup, not expensive, and FAST!

A better option that Stix is Benton's Sugar Shack for a full breakfast.

Yeah, but I don't think I'd be able to hike for at least a couple of hours after one of their breakfasts!! :rolleyes: Of course there is the 3 mile walk out Livermore Road to the Tripyramid Loop... that might make it feasible.
You might also want to check to be sure they're open weekdays.

Yeah, but I don't think I'd be able to hike for at least a couple of hours after one of their breakfasts!! :rolleyes:

I agree with that statement; I had a tough time getting up Mount Pemigewasett after I ate a three-stack of pancakes at the Sugar Shack a few weeks ago. But, how many places provide real maple syrup for no extra charge? :)

Agreed with Mad River Coffeee..nice place

As for the Campgrounds..Waterville is quite wooded with some very private sites

Osceola Vista seldom crowded with an extraordinary Osceola Vista..had a wild night in a thunderstorm there a couple of years ago..great star viewing as well

Anybody know why Stix has been closed the past two weekends?

Stix was a favorite place for breakfast but its been closed the past two weekends (maybe during the past week as well). The sign on the door just says "Closed" but it isn't like Todd to have the place closed unless there is something happening. Hope everything is OK and it opens again soon.

Anybody know why its closed?

Thanks!

So any good restaurants in WV? After all, with a ski area and some lodging, there MUST be a good restaurant there? Maybe not?

If you're camping in the valley, why leave for breakfast when you're already so close to the trailhead? I know there is at least one place in the "town square" that serves breakfast but I don't know the hours. Considering the time it would take to drive out of the valley you are better off even if the local place opens a little later. Alternatively, cook your own and save the money for a nice dinner ... which you'll earn. Coyote Grill has decent food, sometimes with live entertainment.

You might check the WV website. They have links to the restaurants ... Blue Moon Cafe, which serves breakfast, doesn't seem to have one though.

http://www.waterville.com/