Western destination for next July

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
After our wonderful August trip to the Rubies in Nevada, I'm about to embark on a search for next year's destination. Of course, every trip out west is so good that I feel like the next one couldn't possibly be as good.

I am partial to redrock country, but not in July, unless it's at elevation and cooler. A place like Cedar Breaks might fulfill the requirement.

I've been eyeing Colorado, too. The apparent certainty of thunderstorms every afternoon puts me off, though. Does that happen in the non-high peaks areas too? My other requirements are a place not too touristy, and lots of wildflowers.

Never been to New Mexico, and only Sedona & GC in Arizona, so the options are wide open.

I have driven through a few great areas in New Mexico and AZ that may fit the bill - Gila National Forest was incredibly cool - very remote though - it is a good 2-3 hour drive in from the main road, as is Canyon de Chelly (pronounced "Shea") in NW NM - recent report here on the Guadulupe Mountains in SW TX made me wish I had spent more time there - I also enjoyed the Carlsbad and White Sands area a lot.
When are we leaving? :D

audrey said:
...Colorado....
FWIW, we're going to Colorado next July too. We'll be there either very early in July or the 2nd week. The plan is to bag a few 14R's. I guess we just have to get a REALLY early start! :D

Tom Rankin said:
FWIW, we're going to Colorado next July too. We'll be there either very early in July or the 2nd week. The plan is to bag a few 14R's. I guess we just have to get a REALLY early start! :D
When I was in Estes Park in June the basic daily forecast was for t-storms on the high peaks in the early afternoon - 12-1pm-ish

Audrey -

If you're partial to redrock country, then think Utah - stunning place, and lots of national parks/monuments, like Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef and Escalante. The downside is they're warmer than the mountains but you won't see redrock quite the same anywhere. I also love Dixie NF, which is near Escalante.

Have you been to Glacier NP in Montana? It extends in Alberta where's it's called the Waterton Peace Park. Not called "the Jewell of the North American continent" for nothing.

Other favorite 'loops' are Rocky Mountain NP, then north into Medicine Bow NF. Have also found US287 between CO and WY is usually brimming with antelope. From Laramine I love to drive over thru Landers, and the Winds, and then of course into the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Alaska

try the Chilkoot Trail.

or Kesugi Ridge.

plenty of places to wander ... and be overwhelmed.

Shoot me

a PM as the time draws closer. my step-sis (Karen) and sig other (Joe) are in process of moving from Jerome AZ (Sedona) to Pagosa Springs CO area. VERY outdoorsy folk - will point you right... ;)

Tom Rankin said:

Generally, we follow this MO with much success.
We get up at 4am to 5 am - Hiking by 6 to 6:30.
Summit by between 9:30 and 11:30.
Watch the clouds build throughout the day.
Back to the car by 1pm.
Showered and relaxing by 3pm.
Early dinner, pack the pack, layout the next days clothes and early to bed
Repeat.
We were never rained on though it rained most days.

To the question - Lake City or Salida are both very nice base camps with many peaks to do.

The Chilkoot Trail in SE Alaska was suggested and I agree. It's a fabulous trip. In Colorado I've done Pike's Peak via the Barr Trail. We started up in the afternoon, stayed at Barr Camp (10,000, 6 miles from trailhead), next day finished the hike to the summit and returned to Barr Camp (12 m RT), then out the next morning. The Barr Camp experience was wonderful and we didn't have to worry about cooking or carrying a tent or pads, but there is also a shelter further up. In August, I hiked a section of the Wonderland Trail at Rainier and was awed by the flowers and scenery. More than once it brought me to a standstill, with all there is to see. While I was doing that, Brian was climbing Rainier with International Mountain Guides. They have just been awarded permits to lead climbs there and Brian was thrilled with the experience. Their stated goal, both in writing and in actuality, is to get their clients to the summit if at all possible. This is in oposition to an experience we had with another company there a few years ago. In July, Brian and I went to the Tetons in Jackson, WY. We took two days of climbing lessons and then a guided hike to the summit of the Grand Teton with Exum Guides. I'd never rock climbed before and wasn't sure that I'd like it, but I loved it and am a stronger, more capable person because of it. Have fun planning and if you want any more details on the trips I've done, let me know.

Colorado. We saw just the tail end of wildflower season on our 4-pass loop through the Maroon Bells Wilderness, and it was spectacular. I may even finally have the photos up this weekend!

Google for Maroon Bells and 4-pass loop and there's a wealth of information. We could also advise on variations on the loop as well as other in-outs in that area, all of which would be beautiful. Trailheads are around 8,000, the majority of hiking is in the 10-11,000 range, and the passes are around 12,500.

Ok, everybody, let me name another requirement: absence of grizzlies/brown bears. Being chased by a moose was more than enough excitement. :eek:

Kevin, I too am in love with Utah. In fact, we'll be in Escalante in May.

Colorado: our old bodies don't really want to get up at 3am to beat the storms - if I want to get up at 3 am, I can go to Baxter!

Cascades: doesn't it rain a lot? Our old bodies don't want to wear Goretex all week either.

How about somewhere in the Sierras that isn't too crowded? We like scenery and flowers and bodies of water with a few summits of any height thrown in.

Keep the suggestions coming - I love hearing about the places you all love.

audrey said:
Ok, everybody, let me name another requirement: absence of grizzlies/brown bears. Being chased by a moose was more than enough excitement. :eek:
You have to overlook this at least once in your lifetime. Our rockies are kickass. Our bears too :D
The canadian rockies are waiting for you !

Last edited:
How about a general road trip all over California? I picked up a copy of the Foghorn Outdoors' California Hiking guidebook a month or so ago and it has a couple hundred hikes in there. They are all rated, so you could just hike a handful of the "10" rated hikes & backpacks throughout the state. There's a zillion outside of the very popular national parks, too.

my 2 cents

I just got back from an "out west" trip. Bryce Canyon was SPECTACULAR, (see attached picture) but not a place you would spend more than a day or two. I fell in love with the high Unitas in Utah. I did a 3 day backpack to King's peak (TR here) and was very alone but did have moose encounters. The area was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. I highly recommend it. :D

Last edited:
Ah, well, too bad about grizzlies. You'll miss out on some spectacular scenery.

Where are you going in Escalante? We were there last year during May and loved it. We did Peekaboo, Spooky, and Brimstone slots and Coyote Gulch. Coyote Gulch has to be one of my top ten most beautiful places I've been. It was stunning.