What is the equivalent of climbing Everest 16 times?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask and you shall receive.

Seema,
That's funny. I sent you a message on trailjournals last night, asking you,to let us know, when you would be in the area.

I'm pretty sure we can accomodate some hot cheese. What's your favorite?

I'm glad to hear that you and Brian are in good spirits, despite your foot pain, and ready to jump on the trail again.
I know you will finish. You are approaching a major, support-team area!
Hope to cross your path, Steve-o :)

Stev-o said:
Seema,
That's funny. I sent you a message on trailjournals last night, asking you,to let us know, when you would be in the area.

I'm pretty sure we can accomodate some hot cheese. What's your favorite?

I'm glad to hear that you and Brian are in good spirits, despite your foot pain, and ready to jump on the trail again.
I know you will finish. You are approaching a major, support-team area!
Hope to cross your path, Steve-o :)

I just went and looked at the trailjournals guestbook . . . we must've been on the same wavelength. :)

My favorite cheese is pepperjack cheese, all gooey and melty on bread or tortiallas . . . yummy . . . gonna go make myself a grilled cheese sandwich after I post this. :)

Can't wait to see all my great VFTT friends on the trail. I was very sad getting off the trail 2 weeks ago because I knew that going back, we would be without our thru-hiker friends and we'd be back to making new friends but knowing I was coming into "a major support-team area" definitely helps. Plus, getting into New England, where I have hiked most of the AT already also helps me mentally. :)

Anyway, rambling now . . . cause I have missed being on here . . .

sli74

A great big hello to you both!!!!

I'll be looking for my P Buddy in Baxter park the 3rd week of September :D :D

It would be my honor to take the picture of you and Brian at the summit of Baxter Peak!!!

Glad to hear all is well. Hope your foot pain resolves soon.

Nadine

sli74 said:
I also suspect it might be a stress fracture but since getting off the trail is the only cure and that is not an option, I will just have to grin and bear it and hold onto all the other great things about this trip and not focus on the pain . . . :) sli74

Well, then use your town days wisely by staying off your feet and icing them as well. Bona suerte!

Well, now, if we have that Eustis Gathering in late September, you can swing by on the way home from Baxter! :)

Keep going strong, guys!!

I'm really excited to hear that you guys are doing so well and are well over the half way part. Trust me, the Whites are harder, but they are familiar, so you guys will have a lot less of a hard time as the other people you are hiking with.

I'd love to come out there and hike with you right now, but my July is booked. I might have a free weekend or two, so hopefully you guys can keep us updated on where you are at.

You are going to LOVE New Jersey. I'm not kidding, its a really nice section of the trail. In fact, if you can, spend a night up at the High Point Monument. Not the shelter, but the monument itself. Its a little off the trail, and you need to wait until dark to set up camp, but there is a nice lawn up there and the view is great if its a clear night.

Anyway, I'm very jealous of you guys and glad to hear that you are doing well. Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to seeing you guys are you get closer.

Oh yea, the timing might be a little off, but the Long Trail Festival in Rutland is the 15th-17th.

Hey great job so far, Seema and Brian!

Seema, I can sympathise with your foot pain...I'm home on a break from the Long Trail with the same problem. It aborted my thru of the LT last year as well. SO FRUSTRATING!

I'll pm you my contact info as I am in West Bethel, ME...about as far east of the trail as Gorham is west. I can offer laundry, shower, bed...no hot cheese though as I'm vegan.

Also, when you are going through western MA, you must Seriously consider stopping at Upper Goose Pond. I know, it's a half mile off trail but it's totally worth it!

-vegematic

Heading off to the trail right now, sorry I didn't respond to the last few posts . . . but I will keep reading and posting while on the trail when I have access.

We expect to be in Unionville, NY on Wednesday July 16. Gotta run, see you out there.

sli74

Happy Trails Seema and Brian.

I hope to head out that way sometime in late August. Will keep my eye on this thread to follow your progress.

Have Fun!

sli74 said:
Stev-o said:
I sent you a message on trailjournals last night, asking you,to let us know, when you would be in the area
. . . we must've been on the same wavelength. :)
got home and looked at my calendar ... noticed for the first time this month that by some strange coincedence July happens to have a picture of the AT on it, the day i read this post ... then i realized that it's an AT calendar ... every month has the AT on it ...

for some, it takes a few minutes for reality to set in ... for others, several months ... for others, well ... sometimes that "light bulb" that appears above my head shines like a single LED ... not too bright ...

have fun on the trail !

Good luck to both of you and enjoy the experience. Also, myself and 3 other VFTT'ers will be in Baxter right during the time you expect to finish, we anticipate a Katahdin try on 9/18. Hope to see you up there, and if you get a better sense of schedule later on let us know....

Last edited:
Just saw this thread ........
We'll look for you guys tomorrow (Sunday) near the Delaware Water Gap. We live only a mile from the AMC Mohican Outdoor Center in Blairstown, NJ. You should be there by tomorrow, or the next day at the latest. (Which means by the time you read this, you'll probably be in New York :rolleyes: :D )

In the event you read this in the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA, I will send phone # via PM. Hope we get to see you and Brian.

Rob

Tis the season, on my way home from the ADKs today, I saw what I could only guess is a thruhiker walking north on Rt 17 near Tuxedo, NY back towards the AT. If I wasn'y going south and he, going north, I would of offered him a ride. He must of been walking to Tuxedo to reload or something cause he was about a 1/2 mile from Arden Valley Road which the AT uses to cross the NYS Thruway.

jay

Good job and good luck to the both of you. Enjoy every step. The AT is truly a magical trail. :)

Hey Hot Cheese and Birdbath...great to hear from you. Keep up the great hiking. Can't wait to see you on the trails...and you are about to enter a heavy support team...yea!!!

we are at brink road shelter. Culvers gap in 4 miles and unionville on wednesday and fort montgomery, ny on sunday. Batteries are low on my phone so i will update from fort montgomery. Hobbes, sorry we missed you. Maybe up the trail a bit?

Perhaps we can bring some trail magic your way on Sunday. Do you know where you'll be Sunday afternoon? Call my cell on saturday or sunday, if ya read this before then.

we are at the house of a couple we met on the pochuck boardwalk this evening. They graciously opened up their home, fed us, let us shower and do laundry and recharge my phone. This kind of random generosity is some of the best things about the AT.

Hobbes, we are trying to make it to Fort Montgomery on Sunday night. Brian's birthday is on Monday so I might treat him to a hotel room and a real dinner that night. You should be able to catch us someplace about 10 or 12 miles south of fort montgomery that day. Hope we are able to catch up with you.

Seema and Brian were camping at Tiorati Circle in Harriman State Park last night (Sunday). They fell a little behind the original plan due to the heat. They hope to be at Fort Montgomery today, near Pauling NY on Thursday and in Kent, CT on Saturday to make it to the post office in time. The best way to reach them is to email directly to her hikingnorth email. PMs are harder for her to access.

They are doing GREAT and it was incredibly wonderful to see them. They were standing by the road dripping wet from a swim waiting for me last night.

Go Birdbath and Hot Cheese!