What kind of hiker are you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Are you the kind of hiker that likes to stop and look at every wild flower and moss etc. and take in all the views for awhile, or do you plan a hike trying to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time?

skibones said:
Are you the kind of hiker that likes to stop and look at every wild flower and moss etc. and take in all the views for awhile, or do you plan a hike trying to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time?
Both! :D

It depends on the day. I usually want to just hike straight thru by default, but there is usually something that gets my attention along the trail, whether it's a bird, mammal (e.g. naked hiker :eek: ), flower, view, rock, etc. etc. :D

I'm a get above the treeline fast for the views kind of guy. I don't have much interest in flowers, and other foliage close up. I generaly keep moving until the first views before I stop to rest, take pictures or do anything else. Another thing that keeps me moving is my dogs. If I stop for even a second to tie my shoe or adjust something they will whine like crazy. These dogs gotta move!

skibones said:
Definitely the first, even when not hiking. I am slow everywhere. People whiz by me in hallways at work. I frustrate my wife during our morning workouts. If you see me on the trail ahead of you, get around me as fast as possible.

I'm a mix of those two. I enjoy hiking at a comfortable pace but don't stop much.

We (my wife and I) generally hike as a team. We invented slow. Slow is what we do. Slow is nice. Long live slow. Slow is beautiful. Three cheers for slow. Slow power! Right on, slow! :D Seriously, we often like to stop to take pictures along the way, poke around and look at flora/fauna, etc, or just stop to listen and take it all in. Personally I can't imagine hiking from A just to get to B and ignoring everything between, but I know some like to do just that, and that's fine. I can move along at a fair clip when I want to or have to, which is seldom. Not the clip I could have done 30 years ago, but that's life. We always read about "book time" and we'll use it as a general guide for planning hikes, making sure we plan to get back when we want/have to, etc., but otherwise tend to ignore it as a speed to follow.

Being a goal oriented person, I like going from point A to point B. My rest stops last as long as 5 minutes and there does not need to be a view. I don't even stay long on summits because my next goal is to get back to the truck. I guess you could say that I am a true peakbagger.

depends on the weather and views really. Some days I like to move, some days I like to stop, etc view, etc..

depends who I am with, etc...

depends depends depends :D

Time on target

It depends upon the distance and time available. Since I stopped hiking with my dogs I try to arrive home with no more than a twelve hour absence. Since I live in the Whites travel is not usually much of a factor. I generally hike at a pace that uses the twelve hours up. On a short hike I'm slow and poke around. On a long hike such as a Nancy Cascades to Lincoln Woods I pretty much hurry in order to finish. If I know that I will be out longer than 12 I sometimes can arrange to get have my animals looked after. However, the person who will come up to my house for that, has a 50 mile two hour task so I don't ask often.

I'm more of a steady plodder. Unless it is particularly steep, I tend to take about the same time coming down as I do going up. For me, the peaks and views are great, but I just enjoy being outside. I do have other speeds, but they tend to be slower.

Without significant elevation changes, I can pretty much walk the same speed I started at - all day.

I'm not a fast hiker. I'm not a slow hiker. I'm a half-fast hiker. ;)

If you ever see me running down the trail, it is safe to assume something large and frightening is not far behind me.

I'm slow-ish, especially compared to some of those 30-somethings I've been hiking with . . . and you know who you are! :p

It's all relative.

I'm a chameleon hiker! I enjoy hiking with others and I go whatever their pace is. I hike fast with my fast friends and slow with my slow friends. The social aspect of hiking is one of my favorite things.

Since I'm not a botanist, when I see something, I see a "pretty white flower" not a "whodad-spotted long-pesteled dispensia" so I say "Yup, that's pretty" and keep moving. On the rare occasions when I solo, I like to push myself and see how fast I can go to give myself a challenge. It's fun to compare my time to "book time"!

I also enjoy taking long breaks on summits or ledges on nice days (except in winter). While doing Saddlebback and the Horn, we took half hour breaks at Piazza Rock, Saddleback summit, and Horn summit as well as a 15min break when we hit Saddleback for the second time! Other than that, it was pretty much non-stop except for momentary photo op stops.

Chalk up another vote for both. It depends on the trail I am on. I find some trails are more scenic and have more to offer than others, on those I'll stop pretty frequently, depending on the distance I have to go. On the less scenic ones I'll usually go at a good pace to get to the summit.

Depends on who I am hiking with or if I am hiking solo...

Solo...I feel "book times' are challenges to be beaten as well as my own previous hiking times...

My boyfriend...try like hell to keep up. At times I'd believe he's part mountain goat or dall sheep except for the fact they don't exist in the Adirondacks. I won't mention he has a 34 inch inseam vs my 29 inch one.

Certain friends hike at different paces and I keep that in mind when we hike together. Some prefer to "smell the roses" and others are point A to point B...

Solo - I like to see and experience as much trail and views as I can. Not as much for stopping a lot, but just covering ground. I'll still stop if I see something interesting - take a picture, take a second, keep on going.

With partner - depends who the partner is

I'm hiking from A to B at a comfortable pace, not much a flower/birds/stuff but I love to stop and listen to the quiet forest. That's my thing.

That said, I always hike B to A at a fast pace. I just like the physical aspect of ''running'' down trails.

timmus said:
I just like the physical aspect of ''running'' down trails.
Same here, makes me feel like an animal - not the human animal... but more like a deer or some other beast that runs through the woods

It usually takes me an hour of hiking to feel comfortable and get my breathing regulated. In that time, if I am alone, I usually just put my head down and hike, not fast, just consistent. If I’m with my wife, I have to stop more often so we both are within sight of one another. Once my breathing is regulated, I can kick it up a notch if need be. On the down hill if my knees are good, I like to cook.